Page 1 of 3
I was watching the news and astronauts placed alongside firemen were called heros. Ok, I dislike the term "hero" but firefighters kick ass. But astronauts? No. Maybe in Russia, but not here in Ole America. They should not be considered heros. I dont even like space. Anyone agree about the useless astronauts?
Well, Neil Armstrong is a hero, isn't he?

EDIT: Never mind, if I don't see a Death Star soon NASA's gonna lose some serious funding
Heroes save people. These people are just bored kids with big toys.
Yeah they aren't that useful these days, but I got to admit that it would be ****ing awesome to be in space.
Astronauts aren't heros at all... they're just smarter than you'll ever hope to be.

They go through hell to become engineers, and then they go through hell to train for a mission that has a 1% chance of them dying (that's pretty ****ing high!). Yeah, they've got balls.

Heros? When "Armageddon" actually happens, yes, they will be. :p
Looking for my India/Django.
I could only dream of being an astronaut, of being so close to the next frontier and seeing the stars and universe unclouded...
My God, it's full of stars!
I suppose they put their lives on the line for the advancement of human knowledge.

There's something a bit heroic about that.

Going into space is pretty dangerous you know.
^tell that to Han Solo.

i had a class last year where we had to read lance armstrongs biography, and then discuss how he was a leader. he didnt ****in "lead" anyone
I dont know, hero should only be used for like people that save the world. Stop the world from being destroyed? Your a hero. Ok? But flying up there? I want a slow-walk with inspiring music playing.
Quote by Dreadnought
I could only dream of being an astronaut, of being so close to the next frontier and seeing the stars and universe unclouded...

"Space... The final Frontier..."
Not heros really, but that would be an awesome job.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
I wouldn't consider them heroes as such, but they're definitely kickass what with the chance of dying and doing some pretty cool things.
I guess the Armstrong name means nothing. I knew a fat kid named Something Armstrong.
Quote by Stilken
I wouldn't consider them heroes as such, but they're definitely kickass what with the chance of dying and doing some pretty cool things.

So having a chance to die makes you a hero? I choked on some bread. Am I a hero? That was rhetorical. Yes, yes I am.
I'd call earlier astronauts heros because they were pionneers in a sense but what theyre doing now its a little been their done that kinda thing. And at least the older astronauts dont kidnap people and ****.
I wouldn't say heroes, but I'd say they're brave. There are so many things that could go wrong.

-first you have to fly up through the atmosphere
-get through it, and back again
-and then in between your stuck in a semi-void
-and for how long? it's very easy to become unbalanced (mentally) and physically if you don't attempt to work out and whatnot.

And the fact that they're "paving the road for humanity" and taking these risks...well I guess how they could be perceived as heroes.
Quote by deathbat831
^tell that to Han Solo.

i had a class last year where we had to read lance armstrongs biography, and then discuss how he was a leader. he didnt ****in "lead" anyone

The cyclist?
Quote by ThePeacefrog
So having a chance to die makes you a hero? I choked on some bread. Am I a hero? That was rhetorical. Yes, yes I am.

I think someone needs to read more carefully.
If they had a Russian space fight? Definitely. I know there was a "Race to Space", but a space battle would make them heros.
you know people have died in space and they are pretty much putting their life's in the hands of men with technology and men with technology can fail easily
Ibanez RG350ex
Quote by deathbat831
^tell that to Han Solo.

I'd have to agree with Slash_HuDsOn, the early astronauts were more of heroes than present day ones.
Quote by Stilken
I think someone needs to read more carefully.

I didnt mean you in particular. Other people have mentioned it. Well, yes I did. But you know.
were airplane pilots thought of as heros 50 years ago?
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by bono_b
you know people have died in space and they are pretty much putting their life's in the hands of men with technology and men with technology can fail easily

How are they heros though?
Quote by deathbat831
^tell that to Han Solo.

Lance rides a bicycle....

...not in space either.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I suppose they put their lives on the line for the advancement of human knowledge.

There's something a bit heroic about that.

Going into space is pretty dangerous you know.

Truth.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Define hero.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Ughh I saw a Devandra Bernhart song on my friends myspace. That lowered my respect.
As for our friends from the stars above? Mmm oh I did define hero. Save the world. ONE person. Or a ragtag team. Either one.
Quote by ThePeacefrog
I didnt mean you in particular. Other people have mentioned it. Well, yes I did. But you know.

Ah, but I never said they were. I named them as pretty kickass people.
Quote by Stilken
Ah, but I never said they were. I named them as pretty kickass people.

I can agree with that. Id wear my spacesuit everywhere. Id never get sick. But id look like Moby...
you people are retarded...a hero is someone acknowledged for couragous or noble deeds...not just saving lives...and without astronauts who would fix the satellites that keep just about every form of modern life going...cell phones, tv,gps,weather prediction all need satallites and all need to fixed... deepspace telescopes discovering new planets, maybe oneday another planet with life...all becuase we've gone to space...stop to think...or maybe just read and educate yourselves somtime
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
No. I dont think id give a **** if ppl had never been to the moon.
I've been here since '04.

Quote by imtank
you people are retarded...a hero is someone acknowledged for couragous or noble deeds...not just saving lives...and without astronauts who would fix the satellites that keep just about every form of modern life going...cell phones, tv,gps,weather prediction all need satallites and all need to fixed... deepspace telescopes discovering new planets, maybe oneday another planet with life...all becuase we've gone to space...stop to think...or maybe just read and educate yourselves somtime

I dont read about astronauts. That doesnt make them heros. Makes them handymen/women by your description.
so its not a couragous act to go to space? and i didnt mean just read about astronauts dumbass
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
Quote by imtank
so its not a couragous act to go to space?

I think they should spend less money on space. And more on Average Sams like me. And no, not really.
Quote by ThePeacefrog
As for our friends from the stars above? Mmm oh I did define hero. Save the world. ONE person. Or a ragtag team. Either one.
Then I'd hardly call firefighters heroes. How many firefighters do you know that have saved the world? I sure don't know of any. I barely even hear of any firefighters doing anything even mildly interesting. But, then again, why are we stereotyping entire professions as heroes and not heroes? That seems pretty ridiculous.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Well for you Yanks, is Christopher Columbus a hero? "Discoverer of the New World" is a pretty heroic title, IMO.
A lot of people consider doctors to be heroes in that they dedicate their lives to get through insane amounts of school for the betterment of humanity. That's what astronauts do too.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Page 1 of 3