What are the differences between these strats? tone, versatility, playing style, necks? thanks!
Well....the 70's has a U neck and the large head stock. I find them to be a little slow.

I really like the 50's one, but the pups are WEAK. Kind of a standard strat.

I don't know about the 60's.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
well i have the 1954, 50th anniversary reissue master built strat.

Let me tell you, BEST strat i have ever played.....
1954, 1956 fender really nailed strats.

If you are looking to buy a strat, i would look for a 50th anniversary cs masterbuilt or a 1956 reissue cs. However these are not cheap. anywhere from 2000-4500
[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Look at the Fender.com website and check out the 'Specs' for each of the 3, most notably the neck shape, nut size, fret size, pickguard material, pickups and neck finishes and fingerboard wood. The 50's and 60's have the same pickups, not sure on the 70's. the 70's also has Fender infamous 3 bolt neck which many find inferior. Personally I'd go with the 50's but some don't like the neck and find it difficult to bend strings on
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
1. Neck shape (check with fender or musicansfriend)

2. Fretboard radius (check with fender or musiciansfriend)

3. Finishes (check with fender or musiciansfriend)

4. 50's=maple fretboard/60's=rosewood/70's=maple OR rosewood

5. Headstock shapes (70's has bullet truss rod which just means it's adjusted differently)

6. 50's=alder/60's=alder/70's=alder if finish is a solid color, ash if the finish is see-through

7. Pickups all are described as vintage voiced but are BASICALLY the same. The 60's is wound for more output than the 50's, the 70's more than the 60's; though that's a rule-of-thumb more than anything.

8. 50's=vintage tuning keys/60's=vintage tuning keys/70's=F stamped schallers

9. 50's=4 bolt neck/60's=4 bolt neck/70's=3 bolt neck

10. All have vintage 6 bolt trem.

NOTE: Keep in mind that all three have 3 position selector switches, you can only use one pickup at a time.

Hope that helps.
I've heard bad things about the 70's Strat. In fact, I never see them anymore on Musiciansfriend. If I were you, I'd go for the 50's Strat.
50's Strat FTW. Possibly one of the nicest playing guitars in the world. If I don't get a new Tele, I may consider one.

Out os those, it's also the nicest looking, with aged plastic parts and a dark maple neck and fretboard. The 60's has a rosewood board, and I'm not really sure how it plays, or the 70's but the 50's = teh secks
50's-Retro surf colors, small headstock, maple/rosewood. The sound is abit too thin for me, but love the vibe.
60's-More custom colors, same headstock, rosewood. Nice twangy sound, good blues tone. Nice overdriven. My favorite of the three.
70's-Nice range of colors, big headstock, 70's styling. Modern tuners. Amazing clean sound, very clear, and quite good gain sounding.
Thanks guys, this all helps. but i guess i'm just going to go down to GC, pull the three off the wall and play them all!
Quote by ams914
Thanks guys, this all helps. but i guess i'm just going to go down to GC, pull the three off the wall and play them all!

Probably the best thing you can do.

Check them out here if you want:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?section=guitars&cat=stratocaster&subcat=classic

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=classic+stratocaster

I think the Classic Players 60s is your best bet. I've heard the 69 pickups are great, but the pickups on the Classic Players 50s are made by Fender's custom shop (I think) as well so that might be worth checking out. As far as I can see for about $100, you get better pickups on the Classic Players series.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
If I were you I would stay away from the 70's and stick to either the 50's or 60's strat.

I have personally played the 50's strat and the neck was fantastic in both its appearance and playability.

The 60's strat has a rosewood neck, which I personally prefer now that I have played maple for a while, but the best thing to do is just play them all as you said.
High as tits
Well, the 50s what made in the 50s, the 60s made in the 60s, and the 70s mae in the 70s....

had to be said
Hello
Quote by thewho65
I've heard bad things about the 70's Strat. In fact, I never see them anymore on Musiciansfriend. If I were you, I'd go for the 50's Strat.

You can get the 70's as MIM or MIA now. In fact they even made a thin skin 70's strat that you can find on musiciansfriend. I think it gets bashed for being made in a bad period for fender, but has a handful of interesting features now that quality isn't as much of a problem.

Also the 3 bolt/micro-tilt neck can be seen as an improvement.
The 70's strat sounds pretty damn good. The reverse headstock one anyway. But I hate the neck.

I like v-necks. 50
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I prefer the 50's neck over my MIA's neck. But that was just one I played, might not be true on another model
High as tits