Im a newb when it comes to picking and need some serious help. my whole picking has been based on starting a downstroke if your going down the strings like a scale. Go Upstroke if your going from 1st to 6th string. But now I think im playing completely wrong.

I have this lesson that says play this

e -8-5----
b------8-5 X2

I dont know if im playing it right but i play up/down/up/down because im going up. But what i notice is that the second time around when im about to repeat the measure my hand wants to repeat with a down/up/up/down. I feel the reason that is because when i do the measure 1st time I have to go down to the e string to repeat and feels convienent just to start with a downstroke even though im going up. Is this normal or should i stick to doing the measure with all up/down/up/down?

Is it neccesary to stick to starting upstroke if your going up and down if your going down?also there is more to that piece of notes but its kinda the same repeating 2 note pattern on e and b strings.

when working on a scale but starting it backwards on the 1st string and going up to the six how am i suppose to pick it? start with a downstroke or upstroke? my idea would be to do it with an up but i may be wrong and need help and opinions.

any help is appreciated thank you
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
Someone will probably disagree with me, but I say do whatever works. If it feels right to you to start on an upstroke then do it that way. Starting on the upstroke may help you maintain your economy of motion from alternate picking. I know for me, I have a hard time doing it that way. I guess it's an old habit. I don't really play a lot of strict alternate picking stuff. I don't think of it as my style. But for an exercise it's very good practice.
I had similar problems last year

In what direction you start picking doesn't really matter, as long as you stick to the alternating pattern ( if that's what you're aiming for )
Quote by jackshred
I had similar problems last year

In what direction you start picking doesn't really matter, as long as you stick to the alternating pattern ( if that's what you're aiming for )

your right but when im about to bring my hand down to repeat the measure im tempted to start with a down stroke lnstead of an upstroke like the start of the first measure. So i want know if this is wrong or perfectly normal? the reason i see it better to start it with an downstroke second time around is cuz my hand is going down and i would waste more time bringing my hand down below the e string then picking up. I dunno i may just be to strict to this who knows
haha you're confusin me man

I'm trying to understand your problem, but i'm a visual learner/person

Just try to stick to a strict alternate picking pattern with all that you do for a few days, then see if your tendencies stay the same
sorry If i confused you all. the problem isnt alt picking but changing it from up/down to down/up. When i do the measure once i stick to a up/down, but for some reason when im about to repeat it im tempted to start it with a down/up. the reason being cuz my hand is going down to that string might as well downstroke it.

so in a sense is it ok for me to switch up the direction as long as i keep alt picking?
You've discovered the problem with 2-note-per-string runs. They suck.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
this whole thing isnt meant to be played for music bro its for exercise. Im just trying to play the most efficient way to gain speed.
Pretty sure you missed my point. I'm just saying that 2-note-per-string runs are by nature inefficient and difficult to play. I didn't comment at all about the musicality of it.

Looks like an exercise in Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, eh?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.