Page 1 of 2
Lets say that cost is not a factor... What is the be all end all amp for metal? I'd prefer a combo amp but hey if you have a nice head that kicks the best combo's ass then lay it on me. (I'm asking because I'm setting up a long term goal of saveing up some cash for something crazy. Probibly later this year like fall or winter lol) Thanks guys.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Quote by stevenexp
Randall MTS series. Nothing beats them. Not engl, not a 5150... Nothing.

o rly?!

show me proof!!!!!

EDIT: forgot to put my 2 cents -_-. umm...........uberschall. diezel herbert. er.....engl special edition....umm....idk its all on taste. maybe a framus would own major ass flippin for you who knows.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
The answer is there is no "one metal amp to rule them all." It all comes down to preference. There are several brands that produce amazing metal amps, but none of them are definitively better than the other.
Depends what sort of metal really. The Randall MTS amps are great if you want a nice crisp and crunchy tone, but they don't chug and scream like a Mesa Mark IV or Krank. 5150/6505 are solid all round performers and the Mesa Rectifiers can do almost anything you throw at them. And still there are some players who swear by the greatness of a vintage JCM 800.

I don't really think there ever will be a single greatest metal amp.
Alright as far as taste I'd want something with some nice chuckin to it for palm muteing, but also can crank out some good thrash metal, like early Metallica (Kill em all, Ride the Lightining)
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
it's either kranks krankenstein or the Marshall 2203KK.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
just go around playing amps that sound good. but the randall mts are pretty sick. endless versatility. there are so many modules, and they all sound good to me. check em out.
Quote by Drewski09
Alright as far as taste I'd want something with some nice chuckin to it for palm muteing, but also can crank out some good thrash metal, like early Metallica (Kill em all, Ride the Lightining)

I'd go after either an old JCM800 or a Mesa/Boogie Dual rectifier.

And if you want a big fat rhythm sound, you're probably gonna need a head and 4x12, perferably something with loud celestions in it. coombos just don't move enough air to deliver the bottom end you'll want.
Theres so many options... Mesas, Engl, Diezel ... in the end they'll all sound very similar.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Fair enough, Heads are fine by me I just wanted something that was a bit more portable is all, but thats just one + that isn't all too important especially when you compare portable to sound and tone.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
I like the Mesa Dual rectofires
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by giternator
o rly?!

show me proof!!!!!

EDIT: forgot to put my 2 cents -_-. umm...........uberschall. diezel herbert. er.....engl special edition....umm....idk its all on taste. maybe a framus would own major ass flippin for you who knows.

http://www.bandslink.com/Randall%20RM4/RECTO.m3u Proof

EDIT: Also you get to choose from 19 different amps. From marshall jcm800 to a dual rec to randalls Ultra. Seriously these amps rock.
Yeah there is no greatest metal amp. I'd put money on saying Soldano SLO 100, Bogner Uberschall and Diezel Herbert are all in the top 7. Also they're probably the best built.
Engl's are freakin beasts...

But the ultimate metal amp would have to be a 6505... Has no trouble achieving T3H BR00T4LZ!!11!11
ENGL SE run With a Soldano in stereo into some Vader Cabs
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
The be-all-end-all of metal amps would be whoever had the balls to build a vintage fender, bogner uberschall and 2 weber attenuators into a single head.

Yep. Good idea.

Not as CRUSHING! as an MG full stack, but nearly there.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
hrm... I think Metal is too broad. What type of metal? Because i know i can play my metalica pretty damn well on a marshall dsl tube, i dont think im going to get anything extra out of a dual rec.

So what is the most brootal, distortion producing amp avail?
It's funny to me that the TS said money is not a factor, & many are suggesting Kranks, Marshalls, Peaveys, & Randalls. I've played tons of amps (including the new Egnater-licensed Randalls w/ interchangeable modules), & while these amps are all very good (in general), a Diezel Herbert, Soldano SLO, or H&K Triamp Mk2 will do most things a lot better than any of those IMO (I've played them all). Mesas are great for metal too, but they just have their own sound. Nothing else sounds quite like them.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Splawns? VHTs?

idk..there's quite a few.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Makos?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by T!AN
The answer is there is no "one metal amp to rule them all." It all comes down to preference. There are several brands that produce amazing metal amps, but none of them are definitively better than the other.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by riffhog
It's funny to me that the TS said money is not a factor, & many are suggesting Kranks, Marshalls, Peaveys, & Randalls. I've played tons of amps (including the new Egnater-licensed Randalls w/ interchangeable modules), & while these amps are all very good (in general), a Diezel Herbert, Soldano SLO, or H&K Triamp Mk2 will do most things a lot better than any of those IMO (I've played them all). Mesas are great for metal too, but they just have their own sound. Nothing else sounds quite like them.

also +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
End all amp for metal IMO would be the one that could do ANY metal sound you need and do it well. Randall MTS
imo its recto module sucked ass and didn't sound like a recto.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I change My mind, A ENGL SE and Mako, Run side to side, With a 6505 And a Diezle, All Boosted By Boss Metal Tone, And reverb pedals, And the a tele, With vintage strat pups, All Heads would be run into a Behringer Ultrastack

I would scoop the mids and bass and crank the treb and Pres, And get the hole puncher out to get some of the speakers, probably open back all the cabs too, and use some Generic guitar center cables. And buy some used tubes
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
I change My mind, A ENGL SE and Mako, Run side to side, With a 6505 And a Diezle, All Boosted By Boss Metal Tone, And reverb pedals, And the a tele, With vintage strat pups, All Heads would be run into a Behringer Ultrastack

I would scoop the mids and bass and crank the treb and Pres, And get the hole puncher out to get some of the speakers, probably open back all the cabs too, and use some Generic guitar center cables. And buy some used tubes

that would sound bollocks there would be tones and frequencies clashing all over the place. I tried running an engl with my 5150 and v3 and it was just overkill.
I do like dual amp setups tho..i run my v3 and 5150 together through a g flex and a 1960 cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
imo its recto module sucked ass and didn't sound like a recto.

Thanks for not making me say it. I thought the new Randall was a brilliant idea (turns out that it was Bruce Egnater's idea that he licensed to Randall), but it just lacked something in every module I tried. It sounded better than many amps, but there's so many truly awesome amps out there, & the Randall is not one of them.
I even tried the original Egnater module-type amp when I went to Las Vegas a couple weeks ago, & it left me a bit flat (hey, I survived telling my wife I wanted to go check out amps while on vacation , but no Cornfords in stock ).
I think the new Randall would be a great thing for bands that play a crapload of different styles, but the ultimate metal amp? I don't think so.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Early Metallica? Maybe a hot-rodded Marshall-type of amp, like Splawn? Or one of the Bogners (I think Ecstacy).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yeah but theres people who can afford any amp they want... some pretty big bands.... that still stick with the peavey. So there you go.
dam good point. this boggles my mind lol. if i had that kind of money i would get the best equipment but even on the band member bio's it seems they have other interests that are more important to them than guitar/music which is weird. its like they dont want to play music almost -_-.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Page 1 of 2