I have been searching for my second bass and have come across two 2nd hand Fender Jazz Deluxes' (1997 and 1998 years). Still deciding whether to buy one or just get a new Fender American Standard.

I think these basses have a 9 volt battery instead of an 18 volt battery - what difference does this make ?
if the deluxe is made in mexico, not sure if its a good idea, they are apparently much shoddier than an american
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
18v's are just two 9v's.

Some pickups and pre amps require a little more power so they slap in another battery. Active pickups that is.
Are we talking about the Mexican Deluxes or the American Deluxes? 20 frets or 22?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The two 2nd that I have seen are both American Deluxe Jazz basses from the late 1990's - both with 22 frets
I still like the idea of the brand new American Standard. I, personally, prefer passive fenders. I'd try them if you can. If not, decide whether you like active basses or passive. Personally, I have two active basses already, so I could use a good passive bass in my arsenal. I'm pretty sure my next bass will be an American Standard Precision.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
The 9V EQs have much less headroom, which means the overall output levels are lower (i.e. quieter, but my 18V one is exceptionally loud). Perhaps, the total amount of boost or cut for each band of EQ are lower. Perhaps. The output, however, is lower.

HOWEVER, I've had experience with these ones. I don't like 5-in-a-row tuner headstocks as they shift the nut on 5-bangers.

I'm not sure when the graphite neck support came in, but if those basses have it, it's a fantastic feature.

However, the pickups are the most important thing.

The American Deluxe Jazz's have had three different pickups on them. First, they had these awful pickups with one large pole piece per string. They had no label on them and were an attempt at noiseless. I had those pickups installed on an old MIM Jazz and they were thin, harsh, and anemic. If the bass has those large pole piece pickups, avoid it like the plague.

They then had Noiseless pickups with the golden Noiseless script in the bottom right corner of the pickups. They are good, and if those basses have them, they're a good choice.

2004 and on have SCNs, but your basses in question will not have them.

Any other questions?

EDIT: FWIW, US DX Precisions have always had the same pickups.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thanks for the info theFitz !!

Both the basess in question have one large pole piece per string with no writing on them. Think might keep looking. Might expand my search for another bass to some of the Lakland range (something like a 44-01) and also take a look at some new Fender American Standard basses (or maybe even a used Fender J with the S-1 switch)
Quote by Tiger17
Thanks for the info theFitz !!

Both the basess in question have one large pole piece per string with no writing on them. Think might keep looking. Might expand my search for another bass to some of the Lakland range (something like a 44-01) and also take a look at some new Fender American Standard basses (or maybe even a used Fender J with the S-1 switch)

The S-1 switch is an acquired taste. I don't like it, personally. They also have a habit of getting stuck for people, but I've never had it happen to me personally. It's a cool idea, but I don't think it's very necessary. It just seems like one more thing to break. I suggest the american standard precision or jazz, depending on your tastes. If they play and sound half as good as they look, I'm in for a real treat when I get one. I doubt you'd be disappointed.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.