I love classical music and Marty Friedman's solo works. I'm also an aspiring composer who is frustrated with my school music director's horrid "jazz" arrangements that he does for my school's orchestra. This year I suggested him that I write an arrangement instead to perform.

Here is my orchestral arrangement for Marty Friedman's Thunder March from his first solo album, Dragon's Kiss. It features an all strings symphonic orchestra with guitar and drums added. I wrote a different intro for the song to better display the use of the orchestra.
Links:
UG Profile
Music Myspace

If you're a tl;dr type of guy, ignore these next parts:

More info about the arrangement:
Although the guitar is the main solo instrument in my arrangement, I have a concerto grosso within the orchestra itself by writing distinguishing parts for key players. This isn't meant to be an Yngwie style of setup in which the orchestra is used purely for the sake of providing chordal background for the guitar to solo over. The guitar is intended to be another part (principle melody) to play along with the orchestra, which is why the guitar won't sound very loud for most of the song. The only real guitar solo is at the end.

I am applying for Berklee School of Music as a composition major with guitar as my principle instrument. I will be using this song as my main prepared piece for the audition (coming up this week).

Technical info:
All violin parts and guitar parts are played and recorded by me. All other instruments are synthetics exported from Kontakt Player and/or produced using Fruity Loops. I used Sibelius 4 to compose, and Fruity Loops and Cakewalk Sonar for production and recording. I used a Jackson Dinky guitar (Dimarzio Evo bridge, Duncan Hot Rail neck) that runs directly in a Roland Cube 60. My audio interface is an E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 with Yamaha MIDI keyboard and Shure SM57 instrument mic.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 26, 2008,
I like everything except the drums, and I'm not really sure why...I guess I think that orchestral percussion would be better. The rest of the song is EPIC WIN...beautiful violin and guitar work sir.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by emr_steelmech
I like everything except the drums, and I'm not really sure why...I guess I think that orchestral percussion would be better. The rest of the song is EPIC WIN...beautiful violin and guitar work sir.

Thank you. The reason why I use a rock drum kit setup and style is because it's a driving force in the song. In the original version, Deen Castronovo adds a whole new dimension to the song with his spontaneous and chop-laden fills. I didn't want to take that away and I also know of a very talented drummer at my school who could get the job done well.

There are several reasons why I didn't use orchestral percussion. First, I actually would have used it, however, Sibelius unfortunately does not have a very thorough percussion staff system, so it's hard for me to put it on paper. Second, my actual real resources are limited. I think it would be too hard to gather percussion members from my school to rehearse adequately. And lastly, had I only used orchestral percussions, I think it would've dragged the tune because the tempo is moderately slow. Had it been a faster tune, the percussions would have worked. In this case, the fast drumming fills that role.

I agree that the drum track doesn't sound very good. It's because I can't find any decent sampled drums to save my life and also because it doesn't sound very natural. Real drums should correct that. Overall, synthetic instruments leave me unsatisfied a lot of times, admittedly (for classical music anyways). They don't have music perception and cannot carry out my intended expressions every time. Oh well.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Drums were a little lacking, but the rest of the song was incredible.