Page 1 of 2
I looking to replace my SS piece of crap with a nice small tube amp. I need something with a master volume and gain control since I live in an apartment and can't get loud. I can spend up to about $250 but thats it. I'm looking at either the Peavey Valve King Royal 8 or the Crate V5 combo. I also saw a brand called Kustom on Musicians Friend that is 12 watts and has all of the controls I want but its 99.99 instead of 199.99 like the other two. Are any of these decent ? Are there any others I should look at ? I have two OD pedals and a wah so built in effects aren't important to me and I mostly play a Strat or my Epi SG.
if you wanna spend an extrat 100 get a blues Jr. absolutly perfect
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
^well you probly dont need any extra 100 bucks to buy **** amp like that
get what i got a FENDER super 60
they go for like 250-300 on ebay and theyre way bettor than these new amps fender is making for a the poor guys
ive had mine for like 6 months now super tone on this baby for the money you could acomplish blues with the gain between 3 and 4
EQ is very very sensitive and its easy to find whatever you like after messing around with it
also has very nice rever and presence knob
I just don't have that kind of coin now, plus I'm learning and don't really need more than 5 watts.
blues junior
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
champ 600, vibro champ, super champ?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
The lower end Fenders and Epi valves don't have a gain control separate from the volume and I can't get loud enough to really drive it.
the blues Jr. has a master volume so it would be fine
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Blues junior has a volume and master volume, so you can drive it within bedroom levels just save up for like 3 months, You'll be glad you did.
yes he will be
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Well the Fender champ 600 will be the quietest out of those and has the best clean/smooth overdrive which might be good for an apartment. Also look at those blackheart amps like the Little Ant which i think is 1 watt, or the other 5 watt one. The crate v5 doesn't have a master volume, so if you want to go that route the palomino v8 would be good. Sooo, if your gonna crank it all the time in an apartment that 1 watt blackheart might be nice.
valve junior.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Fat Brian
I looking to replace my SS piece of crap with a nice small tube amp. I need something with a master volume and gain control since I live in an apartment and can't get loud. I can spend up to about $250 but thats it. I'm looking at either the Peavey Valve King Royal 8 or the Crate V5 combo. I also saw a brand called Kustom on Musicians Friend that is 12 watts and has all of the controls I want but its 99.99 instead of 199.99 like the other two. Are any of these decent ? Are there any others I should look at ? I have two OD pedals and a wah so built in effects aren't important to me and I mostly play a Strat or my Epi SG.

Do not even think about Kustom amps unless you go for the all tube combos like the coupe. The one you saw has a valve preamp, and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to it sounding like a solid state. Stay away, as it's not a real tube amp.

Anyway, I have Blackheart, and I would always recommend it to someone looking for a 5 watt tube amp, but I would also urge you to take a look at the Fender Champ 600, or it's sister amp, the Gretsch Electromatic compact G5222 (same amp, different cosmetics - Fender leather, Gretsch tweed). The Valve Junior would also be a good choice, but I preferred the Fender OD.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Feb 26, 2008,
The blackheart little giant kicks much butt.
If you can't save up for a blues junior fast enough, just get a blackheart or one of the little 5 watters.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'll go on a pawn shop crawl soon and see whats around here, maybe I can score something nice.
Quote by darkarbiter7
The blackheart little giant kicks much butt.
If you can't save up for a blues junior fast enough, just get a blackheart or one of the little 5 watters.

I wanna get that thing. It's got a EQ unlike the valve junior, and a 5/3 watt switch. I wanna get that and a tubescreamer.
I looked at a vibro champ today at Sam Ash, it looks nice but I'm worried about the voices. What are they and how do they sound ? I'm not so concerned about the on board effects, I've got plenty if they are junk. The amp search will have to be postponed slightly anyway, I went to some pawn shops today for an amp and game home with a Telecaster. Its sweet though, candy apple metal flake Squier with a full size and thickness body (not like the Affinity), birdseye maple neck with a rosewood fret board. Its a few years old, it has an older style lettering on the headstock than a newer Squier. I got it for $160, it needs a good scrubbin' and the output needs soldering but its really nice otherwise.
The Kustom is only hybrid, not all tube. I'd advice a Fender Champ 600, or a Crate Palomino V8.

Arn't new Squier Standard series teles only $200?
Fender champ=Black face or Silver face!!!
or they have a new champ all tube out for about $200.00
Don't settle for crap or a copy
get the real deal!
For $299.00 you can get the super champ xd. Have had mine for about a month now. For that kind of money I don't think you will find a better sound. The preamp settings are workable along with the effects. Its not like my twin or boogie but it is a great little amp.
Thats the champ I was asking about, i can get it at Sam Ash for $249.99. So they sound pretty good ? I had a Fender SS amp years ago and it was pretty nice for what it was so I would like to find a reliable Fender tube if I can.
I believe the $249.00 is the vibro champ I would spend the extra $40.00 and get the super champ more wattage and larger speaker. They are really nice good luck
I think it's really important to understand (tonally) exactly what he's after. I mean, the Champ is a great blues amp, if you're looking for that particular blues tones. It has a very American voice to it. if by 'blues' you mean something more like (some)Clapton or Bonamassa, you might be better suited with a VJ or other, more Brithish/Marshallesque, amp.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by FRDesign
The Super Champ is basically, a fancy modeling amp, but its analog.

Get the Blackheart Half Stack.

yes it is a fancy modeling amp really but its not digital
the only thing thats digital is the effects and you could cut those out if you want to
it is anolog so it wont sound digital
its unlike any of the other modeling amps in the fact that its anologue not only that but its a true TUBE HYBRID amp its got one pre-amp and one power-amp tube
i say take it its a really good ****ing amp could do it all bright, dark, BROOTLZE
and the tone is amazing for the money
FAT BRIAN i also suggest you buy this amp its really good but do as some other guy said and get the 15 watt version if you think you need it
the 5watt is really good as well
it would have been nice if they but 2 preamps but i guese thats asking to much
Quote by carniferous
I think it's really important to understand (tonally) exactly what he's after. I mean, the Champ is a great blues amp, if you're looking for that particular blues tones. It has a very American voice to it. if by 'blues' you mean something more like (some)Clapton or Bonamassa, you might be better suited with a VJ or other, more Brithish/Marshallesque, amp.

Good point. If you're after a british blues tone, you're better off with a VJ (or perhaps a Blackheart), but if you're after a more American (reads Fender) blues tone, then the Champ 600 or Blues Junior are good options.

Since you don't need the flexability of modeling and such, I'd steer away from the Super Champ XD, and the like.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Good point. If you're after a british blues tone, you're better off with a VJ (or perhaps a Blackheart), but if you're after a more American (reads Fender) blues tone, then the Champ 600 or Blues Junior are good options.

Since you don't need the flexability of modeling and such, I'd steer away from the Super Champ XD, and the like.

what the **** is wrong with the super champ or the vibrochamp
you cant honestly recomend the Champ600 or a Valve juniot over those amps
are you just some TUBE FREAK or something
its got to bee 100 percent tube
the other amps are way bettor than the 600 or VJ
come on man admit it your just a TUBE FREAK

My advice dont listen to the tube freak and getthe vibrochamp
blows both those amps away along
with the royal 8 and the V8
Quote by purple tiger

Haha. You're silly. And the.spine.surfs owns and uses a hybrid valvetronix.

Nothing is WRONG with the super champ.... but it's designed to be a small, versatile practice amp. Like spine said, he doesn't NEED versatility. The champ and vj are both little tone monsters, too. And, for the record, I AM a tube freak.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

^ i understand what your saying man
but the XD's
are reallt two in one what from what ive heard
on the clean channel there 100 percent tube
but once you switch on to the OD side thats when it changes
its still using tubes but to achieve that channel voicing its also using transistors
not only that its a tube amp just like the valvejunior and the champ600
but it also has got an EQ
if you dont need versatlility then just use the regular channel
but if you want to achieve a diffrent clapton tone then go over to the OD side
and by the way since when the **** is versatility not neded
in all purposes the XD series makes all the other tiny what amplifiers like
the
ROYAL 8
Crate v5
VJ
blackheart
and champ 600
completely obsolete
the tone of a true tube amp on one channel and the versatility of a TRUE HYBRID amp in the other unlike the valvetronix
Quote by purple tiger

It's really wise to scoot over to someone's profile and check out their gear before you label them. I own a hybrid Vox Valvetronix, that I use regularly when I need the versatility, and a '73 Fender Twin Reverb for when I don't.

It's just fact that you have to choose versaility OR tone at this price point. The Super Champ XD tries for both, but makes sacrifices in both tone and versaility to do so. Blues is, tone wise, rather simple.

Finally, it's worth pointing out that I've owned a Valve Junior, Champ 600, and a few digital moddling amps. I've also played a Super Champ XD, and found it nice, but neither as flexable as a Valvetronix nor as toneful as a Champ 600. Have you owned, or even played, the amp your reccomending, or the ones you're bashing?

EDIT: Read around, it's NOT 100% tube, ever. It has one phase inverter/or rectifier tube, and two power tube. NO preamp tubes means a SS or digital preamp.
I disagree (not with the.spine.surfs), along with most people on these boards, I should think. And versatility isn't always needed. If versatility were the name of the game, why is a vintage Fender Twin still one of the most desirable guitar amps in existence?

Yes, it has an eq.... but you can use the money you've saved by buying a valve jr. or champ and put it toward a Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips, which will be infinitely more versatile.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

yes ive played the amps
the valvejunior and the XD series
i just think its a matter of opinion
and in my opinion i think your wrong
i bealive the XD's do away with other small tube amps and the bigger ones
are there not as flexible as the valvetronix sound bettor
Quote by purple tiger
yes ive played the amps
the valvejunior and the XD series
i just think its a matter of opinion
and in my opinion i think your wrong
i bealive the XD's do away with other small tube amps and the bigger ones
are there not as flexible as the valvetronix sound bettor

grammer are awesomes;
I only play blues stuff, think SRV Sky is Crying tone, thats what I'm going for. I have plenty of pedals to do whatever else I want. I just need to know if this particular amp is alright. I believe the one I looked at had 1 or 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and a 6L6 power tube. If the extra effects like chorus or reverb are garbage it doesn't matter, I'll get a pedal for it. The only thing I'm worried about is the voicing, will it affect the tube tone ?
Quote by Fat Brian
I only play blues stuff, think SRV Sky is Crying tone, thats what I'm going for. I have plenty of pedals to do whatever else I want. I just need to know if this particular amp is alright. I believe the one I looked at had 1 or 2 12AX7 preamp tubes and a 6L6 power tube. If the extra effects like chorus or reverb are garbage it doesn't matter, I'll get a pedal for it. The only thing I'm worried about is the voicing, will it affect the tube tone ?

If you're talking about the Super Champ XD, it has one 12AX7 preamp tube that is NOT in the preamp section of the signal path. It's used as either a phase inverter or a rectifier; the preamp is SS or digital.
Page 1 of 2