Page 1 of 2
Something happened at school the other day:

As most of you know, Fidel Castro resigned. Well, in one of my classes, some students were talking about this.

I sit next to these girls who started talking about this. One girl asks "How long was he in power?". The conversation was just among 2-3 people, but I overheard. This one girl, who is a very stereotypical teenager who is very trendy replies; "49 years...". She said this normally.

But then, she realizes what she has just said. Her tone becomes very defensive, while she says "I only know this because I heard it on the news this morning. I don't know all of these random facts.".

At first, this may seem like nothing. But I've had classes with this girl, and she's the type who tries very hard to be "normal", and she's horribly superficial. I thought about this, and I became disgusted. Because of social image in high school, someone was actually afraid to have knowledge.

Socrates once said; "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."

So my topic for this thread: Do you think it is ever wrong for an adult to have knowledge about anything?
no, i like to brag about my knowledge. i hate those ditzy girls that are smart but hide it and do badly in school because of what people will think of them. people will respect you if you're smart.
I wish i had more knowledge. Like i could just whip my knowledge out in front of a bunch of people, and they would be like "WOW, look at all that knowledge!"

but so far...

no luck
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

Quote by visa
That made absoulutely no sense how do you tie your shoes in little nazi's?
I pity the fools who broadcast themselves as fools.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
soon they'll grow out their immaturities and realize that knowledge isn't a bad thing
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Perhaps she's an in-the-closet commie and doesn't want to be persecuted for her beliefs
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I wish society wasn't like that. I like smart women...
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by Garret.
soon they'll grow out their immaturities and realize that knowledge isn't a bad thing

yeah but they'll be dumb as sh*t. too late. no i agree with TS whole-heartedly
Yea, I've had a similar experiences.

It's almost like, in some cases, that people reject knowledge, for reasons I don't understand, and I don't think they do, either.

For example, there's this girl in my second period. Granted, she's not the brightest crayon in the box, but she's not stupid.

Anyway, it's a government class, and me and two other guys in the class know politics and such, and history, and we'll bring stuff up. It's not even "hard" things, per se, it was about when FDR died, and that Truman dropped the bomb and whatnot.

And she just turns to us and yells, "OH MY GOD! I HATE SMART PEOPLE! WHERE DO YOU LEARN ALL OF THIS!!!" And, even though I didn't respond to her, because the teacher snapped on her, 80% of my knowledge is from school, and the other is from watching documentaries and the internet.

But it's like she just rejects learning things. I can understand, in most cases, how some people are just bored by learning A LOT, but she just seemed angry that someone knows THAT much. And she's not the only one like that I know, and it's kind of sad, IMO.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Knowedge Is Power!

teeheehee

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I try to keep my 'knowledge' out of the radar. To tired of having to explain every little thing. I think people in my area are generally stupid. They get stuck on words like perverse, coy, indifferent, the list goes on. Not to mention you have any kind of an idea other than them, they get all lame. Im not talking a 'your wrong, heres my views on it', more of a 'thats interesting, but what if it was like this?' Than im called retarded, or stupid, or dumb, or whatever the word of the day is. The best way to get along with people is to match their intelligence. Maybe thats why I get along with, and am a car guy. Working on cars takes a lot of math, and knowledge period. Yet, at the same time, we all get dirty, and have a good joke. Ive never met a less-than-smart car guy. Even the old stoner who everyone thinks is brain dead, I have a conversation with. Turns out hes an excellent body repair man (gave me a bunch of tips) and has so much knowledge of history, it blew my mind. I learned quite a bit from him.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
I'm like that with most of my "friends," all but one. I wouldn't be able to soicalize with my "peers" if I didn't talk on their level.
Quote by Ehh
I try to keep my 'knowledge' out of the radar. To tired of having to explain every little thing. I think people in my area are generally stupid. They get stuck on words like perverse, coy, indifferent, the list goes on. Not to mention you have any kind of an idea other than them, they get all lame. Im not talking a 'your wrong, heres my views on it', more of a 'thats interesting, but what if it was like this?' Than im called retarded, or stupid, or dumb, or whatever the word of the day is. The best way to get along with people is to match their intelligence. Maybe thats why I get along with, and am a car guy. Working on cars takes a lot of math, and knowledge period. Yet, at the same time, we all get dirty, and have a good joke. Ive never met a less-than-smart car guy. Even the old stoner who everyone thinks is brain dead, I have a conversation with. Turns out hes an excellent body repair man (gave me a bunch of tips) and has so much knowledge of history, it blew my mind. I learned quite a bit from him.

How much of that cough syrup did you have, exactly?

You're just another brick in the wall
Quote by The Madcap
So my topic for this thread: Do you think it is ever wrong for an adult to have knowledge about anything?

well i suppose knowledge like how necrophilia feels or something like that, but in general no.

remember what our good friend sir francis bacon said...knowledge is power. and its kinda the truth
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
No.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Sir Francis Bacon....I like the sound of that...

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by En_zed
How much of that cough syrup did you have, exactly?

Only a little, like 120mg of the DXM. Its kicking in and im feeling slightly less ****ty. Not so much drowsy as walking feels interesting.

Edit: Actually, I kind of feel like sleeping. 5 hours, yay.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Of course not. And she's not an adult.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
"Thinking gives you wrinkles!"
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I have plenty of knowledge about random crap. Unfortunately, I use it way too much, and usually end up looking like an idiot.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
i hate it when people feel like they have to be what someone else says...

on another note: Socrates was a dickhead. im not kidding. im analyzing his 'no evil can happen' speech, and MY GOD he is full of himself...
he's like "yeah, you cant change me, just TRY to change me. im better than you all, i COULD talk myself out of this, but im too ****ing good to do it! i am a ****ing genius, bitches, and i dont answer to you!"
so then they're like "guilty"
and then he's like "no way man! well what are you gonna do, eh? banish me?? im too good for you! ill keep doing what im doing no matter where you send me. im just gona take the high moral ground and tell you fags to shut it!"
and then they're all like "sentenced to death"
so then he still wont give up!! hes like "yeah, screw you guys, im goin home. youre making the biggest mistake of your life, killing me is like killing god himself"

i just want him to shutup! he deserved to die just because of how full of himself he was!
great philosopher, sure, but he ****ing KNEW IT!
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
I take pride in knowing a lot of useless, random facts

some of my friends think I'm weird, but it's not like it really matters

Knowledge owns.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
i hate the jocks (we call them rugby-heads in NZ) who laugh if you get a good grade, then laugh if they get a better grade. You can't win. So i punch them in the nose, that usually shuts em up
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
i hate the jocks (we call them rugby-heads in NZ) who laugh if you get a good grade, then laugh if they get a better grade. You can't win. So i punch them in the nose, that usually shuts em up

i very much doubt you do that...

why dont you just do the same for them.
if they're dumber than you, let them know it....?...
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
it doesn't happen anymore im out of high school, at varsity. I did actually punch one retard in the mouth for that exact thing.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I get called weird for being an intelligent guy all the time. With all that normality amongst my classmates entails, I'd rather be the black sheep that I am any day.
Besides, people love me.
not really. i mean, if you know how to remove someones kidney to sell on the black market, without killing the person, that might be the kind of knowledge you shouldnt know.

but i feel that i know a lot of stuff, and im not afraid to show it in front of other people.
Quote by The Madcap
You might think it wrong of me having "knowledge" of your mother.
But you'll get over it.

Seriously, there are a few things one shouldn't have knowledge of.
But those are private or personal matters.
In general, the more you know, the better.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by The Madcap
Something happened at school the other day:

As most of you know, Fidel Castro resigned. Well, in one of my classes, some students were talking about this.

I sit next to these girls who started talking about this. One girl asks "How long was he in power?". The conversation was just among 2-3 people, but I overheard. This one girl, who is a very stereotypical teenager who is very trendy replies; "49 years...". She said this normally.

But then, she realizes what she has just said. Her tone becomes very defensive, while she says "I only know this because I heard it on the news this morning. I don't know all of these random facts.".

At first, this may seem like nothing. But I've had classes with this girl, and she's the type who tries very hard to be "normal", and she's horribly superficial. I thought about this, and I became disgusted. Because of social image in high school, someone was actually afraid to have knowledge.

Socrates once said; "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."

Okay. I'm in university. People in my classes made fun of me because I spent 35 minutes during a class to talk with my teacher about globalization. They were all mesmerized that I knew what the hell I was talking about.

It seems that today, intelligence and knowledge are like a plague that you must get rid of.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I hate it when people put on a front to make themselves seem dumber. It's ridiculous. Personally, I lose a lot of respect for them as soon as it becomes apparent what they're doing. There's no point in degrading yourself just to 'fit in'.

Plus, random facts are awesome. Qi feeds my brain with them every day .
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
I've never met someone who pretends not to know stuff in order to fit in. I've met a few who like to act stupid so have attention, but never specifically to have a friend group.

I suppose if the adult was a potential tyrannical dictator with genocidal tendencies then it would be a bad thing for them to have knowledge.
=/
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
its the opposite at my school, though im not saying it doesnt happen... i get bagged for knowing all this guitar stuff, but when im compared to other guitarists in my school, i look like a dumbass. i dont care though. My school is a selective school which is all boys, so double whammy on the girls wanting be stupid thing.
agree with TS though. 100%
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Actually I think it works the opposite way for many...I like to PRETEND that I do have knowledge. Like writing an extra "5" in front of the 9% I got on that one test and then bragging about the 95% to my peers.

But just know the number "49 years he was in power" is not really knowledge in my opinion, it's just trivia, memorization, whatever you call it. Do you understand how and why Fidel Castro came to power? That would be knowledge.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Quote by JeanMi36
Okay. I'm in university. People in my classes made fun of me because I spent 35 minutes during a class to talk with my teacher about globalization. They were all mesmerized that I knew what the hell I was talking about.

It seems that today, intelligence and knowledge are like a plague that you must get rid of.

Because you took up 30 minutes of class on some tangent!
I hate it when people try and act less intelligent than they actually are. I don't get the point of it.

I always enjoy trying to one-up my buddies with my superior knowledge skills!

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Being smart and learning my Air Force materials earned me an early promotion to E-4 and has just earned me another promotion to E-5.

There's a few people who joined the same time that I did that just got E-4...
Quote by DanRev
"Come over to my place, no ones home"

I went, there was no one home.
Quote by metacarpi
I hate it when people try and act less intelligent than they actually are. I don't get the point of it.

I always enjoy trying to one-up my buddies with my superior knowledge skills!

I find it much funner to play dumb

I like to be underestimated rather than over
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
My friend recently found out (because I told him) that the Pentagon was also attacked on 9/11. I told the teacher hoping he'd have a laugh with me, but he said "So? It's not a crime". He's right. As they say, ignorance is bliss.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Page 1 of 2