So I started to learn theory about 2 months ago. I found it interesting. Whenever I have time, I would write a random major/minor scale and find the chords for that scale. I also learned modes, built chords over modes. I can now name chords too, but it takes like a minute or two cuz I'm not that good yet. But i just find it interesting like solving a physics problem.

but now how can apply the theory i learned into music?
peanuts and beers
have you learned cadences yet? chord substitution?

personally i know a considerable bit of theory myself but when writing music i don't think too much about it (i do think about it, just not much, unless i get somewhere and can't decide what i want to do next)
but now how can apply the theory i learned into music?

Theory doesn't write music, musicians do.

I hear what I want to hear in my head, then use theory to work out how to transfer it to guitar.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
lucky you that you find it interesting. I find it overly complex and boring.
Quote by tm1776
lucky you that you find it interesting. I find it overly complex and boring.

How can you find it boring? Theory is the key to how all your favorite guitarists came up with the songs/riffs/licks that you love. I find it amazingly interesting because I'd love to be able to write as well as people like Antti Kokko and Alexi Laiho...
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
ok... so i dont find it boring. I just think its rocket science.
Quote by tm1776
ok... so i dont find it boring. I just think its rocket science.

you can only get so far by playing something that sounds good, but to broaden your sounds theory helps. I'm enjoying theory because I can do a lot of nifty things that others can because of their limited sound.
(i do think about it, just not much, unless i get somewhere and can't decide what i want to do next)

Theory doesn't write music, musicians do.

I don't like that phrasing. Theory becomes a subconscious thing that you're always thinking about. It's like speaking with grammar. Do you think, "don't forget to raise my pitch so people will know I'm asking a question" or do you just do it? Even slangs follow a normal grammar.
I don't like that phrasing

Possibly because you took it out of context.

The point of my post was that music theory by itself will not write music. It's just theoretical concepts. It takes a musician to manipulate those concepts into expression to create music.

Theory becomes a subconscious thing that you're always thinking about. It's like speaking with grammar. Do you think, "don't forget to raise my pitch so people will know I'm asking a question" or do you just do it?
True. But honestly, I don't see what my post has to do with what you wrote.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

True. But honestly, I don't see what my post has to do with what you wrote.

I was mainly replying to z4twenny, but saw your post and decided to throw it in there to.
So, do have any point to make about my post at all?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin