No I'm not here asking how to tune to drop d

Though, I am here for some general tips for playing comfortably in this tuning.

Alot of my favorite hard rock songs are drop d tuning, though I notice that the basic chord progressions in these songs (ie 111xxx 333xxx 444xxx, etc) are not as comfortable for me to play (and move between) as chords in standard. Now this could just be because I spend 90% of my time playing and learning songs in standard tuning, and I've forgotten how pissed off I was trying to learn all the common chord and even the power chords in the beginning, but I'll still start a discussion nonetheless.

Take this song for example:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/seether/remedy_ver5_tab.htm

It doesn't get too much easier than that. And given a few minutes I can get it down. But its just not as fun to play to me as a similar song in standard. I hate using my whole index finger (and only my index finger) to play a chord. I find it sluggish to move around.

So for those of you that play in drop d alot, how do you do these simple chord progressions without seeming sluggish or tiring our your barr finger?
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
use more than just your index finger, like with this song, for the intro, i would be using my index and pinky, many times the ring finger will come into play as well, makes for a smoother transition, rather than sliding all over the place
ouch

all my fingers suck except my index for barring. my pinky and ring actually bend backwards. I'll need to work on that.

Probably why I can't play a b minor yet either :-/ I just approx it with a power chord and mute the 4th string (awaits flames..)

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
so if you play soundgarden, for instance, you are sliding all over? at least use your index and ring fingers, and exercise the others, you will notice its more fun than you are currently thinking
I just tried it for awhile. Its definitely a little easier. Though my fingers except my index really aren't used to that kind of pressure, so my whole playing hand is really sore now. I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

watching daniel johns (silverchair) play anthem for the year 2000 doing all this crazy crap with out even thinking about it is definitely a motivator considering I'm having trouble with those same progressions destroying my fingers let alone making it look cool to play it

where should your thumb be at this point, directly behind the currently "barring" finger? I notice my index doesn't need as much support and it def feels wrong (feeling like I'm bending my finger back) when i press too hard with my ring for example

edit: soundgarden isn't my type of band . I like audioslave though

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Last edited by mlfarrell at Feb 26, 2008,
i position my thumb just like i was playing lead really, I guess I've never thought about it, I've just done it. work on some chromatic exercises, but do it with 2 and 3 string chords in drop d, maybe that will help you out. and as for the regualr bar chords, get your thumb right in the middle of the neck, and don't white knuckle it. Have a nice comfortable grip, without pressing too hard.

won't be too long and your fingers will just fall into place
Main use of dropped tunings is, that things which you could (in standard tuning) play by single notes on one string, now you can do it using the same fingers but on three strings. That's the direction you should go (learn to barre by every finger of your picking hand). You can practice some chromatic barre exercises, but I advice you to learn songs in dropped tunings.

One of the easiest and very effective is NIN - Pinion:
|-----------------------------|-----------------------------|
|-3b----4b----5b----6b--------|-3b----4b----5b----6b--------|
|-3b----4b----5b----6b----5p3-|-3b----4b----5b----6b----5p3-|
|-3b----4b----5b----6b--------|-3b----4b----5b----6b--------|

of course use index finger for 3's, middle for 4's...
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant