I'm looking for my first electric, and I'm thinking of getting a PRS SE Custom or something from the Ibanez SZ series. I have a budget of around $600 (already have a roland cube), though I wouldn't mind spending less, and I'd play mostly blues, punk, and hard rock. What would you guys recommend?
^lol
you can't go wrong with either the PRS or the ibanez.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
You should painfully save up your money and get a PRS Custom instead - or whatever guitar best fits your style (be aware of solid body vs strat sound and what you are looking for and what helps to express your style) - I've purchased one level down in instruments too many times and regretted it. Do yourself a favor, get the best guitar you can, its worth the wait... oh and price doesn't necessarily make it better, don't get me wrong - if she sings to you then you can't go wrong.

Oh, and when you do the right thing, and wait and save to get that nice ax, do me a favor and get an amp that justifies your new sweet sound!
Quote by _BucketHead_

I have nothing against LPs but I would prefer a less common design. Stilll an option if I find a good deal in my area, thanks.

Quote by metallfiendVT
You should painfully save up your money and get a PRS Custom instead - or whatever guitar best fits your style (be aware of solid body vs strat sound and what you are looking for and what helps to express your style) - I've purchased one level down in instruments too many times and regretted it. Do yourself a favor, get the best guitar you can, its worth the wait... oh and price doesn't necessarily make it better, don't get me wrong - if she sings to you then you can't go wrong.

Oh, and when you do the right thing, and wait and save to get that nice ax, do me a favor and get an amp that justifies your new sweet sound!

I'm a student so my budget will not increase for a long time.
The Paul Allender PRS is one sexy guitar, but it's got his name on it... Still, I love the purple burst, gold hardware, and bat inlays...
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
Quote by The Silent Fool
Am I the only person that thinks PRS guitars are ugly?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: God, man, hell no.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
Short answer: No.

Long answer: God, man, hell no.

Oh thank god. The only one I even remotely like is the Paul Allander model, and I think its because I love CoF.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...895-i1174746.gc i agree with bozor the sg custom is a nice guitar and with an sg shape with gold hardware u dont need a fancy paint job like most other customs have.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by The Silent Fool
Oh thank god. The only one I even remotely like is the Paul Allander model, and I think its because I love CoF.

Well, I prefer Gibson shapes over all others, except the V, and in that style I prefer the Rhoads shape.
Les Paul, Rhoads, Explorer... mmm....
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by Definite
I have nothing against LPs but I would prefer a less common design. Stilll an option if I find a good deal in my area, thanks.

I'm a student so my budget will not increase for a long time.

If you don't have a steady income, PLEASE don't play a nice PRS or Ibanez through a cube. They're okay practice amps, but sound only slightly less horrible and digital than spiders. What about selling the cube and buying a $400 tube amp and a $400 or so guitar. You'd get good deals going used, as well.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
If you don't have a steady income, PLEASE don't play a nice PRS or Ibanez through a cube. They're okay practice amps, but sound only slightly less horrible and digital than spiders. What about selling the cube and buying a $400 tube amp and a $400 or so guitar. You'd get good deals going used, as well.

Yeah, I was checking out eBay and craigslist and there are some good deals out there on guitars. I'm thinking of selling the cube and getting a better amp like you said, although I don't know which tube amps sound good and work well for practice.

For the guitar, would you guys recommend the Ibanez SZ, a PRS SE, a MK Patriot, an Epiphone, or something else? Again, I do mostly blues, punk, garage rock, hard rock, etc.
i personally reccomend a strat. you could get a MIM standard for 400 bucks then sell your cube and get a tube like that other dude said. or you could get the strat deluxe powerhouse for 600 on musicians friend their both good guitars with big tonal ranges.