Hey guys I was wondering if the weight of the guitar makes any difference to sound or quality, my electric weighs about 6-8kgs.
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
i think its more of what type of wood its made of then weight, that makes the quality
i read somewhere that heavier woods give more sustain and a warmer sound while lighter woods give less and a brighter sound. something to do with absorbing harmonics or something....
what guitar have u got? a les paul barely weighs 5 kgs, i doubt urs will weigh 6 let alone 8.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Some people love heavy guitars some people hate them. It's just a matter of taste...
My personal fav. is around 4~kg

About sound. Yes the amount of wood can effect it. But if you're using EMG and such it won't matter.
Quote by hminh87
But if you're using EMG and such it won't matter.

What the hell are you smoking?
Quote by Y00p

What the hell are you smoking?

So you're saying EMG pickups tone can be effected by the guitar body type?
Quote by hminh87

EMGs are actively pre-amped pickups, which lends them to produce a certain type of tone. They are still affected by the characteristics of the wood, but not near as much as a passive pickup would be. They just kind of mask the tone somewhat.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I agree with truespin..... I had my 81/85 set in my Ibanez for a bit and they sounded different than they did in my les paul...

although not all EMGs are active...they have passive pickups as well..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by hminh87

Most definitly. To state otherwise would be to undermine the laws of physics.
Yep, makes a difference.
My new Tokai LP sounds much bigger and fuller and louder(acoustically talking) than my other LP copy, and my strat, probably partly because it's a damn heavy guitar.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Reildeal
although not all EMGs are active...they have passive pickups as well..

They just put those in cheap guitars so they can say they have EMG pickups in them, but really the EMG passives aren't anywhere close to the quality of actives.
My S-series is super-thin and weighs about 4kg, which you wouldn't think just from looking at it.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Legend has it that more mass = more sustain.

However, sustain is also affected by many other factors, like the bridge, the nut, the headstock angle, the tightness of the neck joint, the strings, the wood etc.
Quote by Ichimaru
They just put those in cheap guitars so they can say they have EMG pickups in them, but really the EMG passives aren't anywhere close to the quality of actives.
My S-series is super-thin and weighs about 4kg, which you wouldn't think just from looking at it.

Speaking of your S, is the 60 in the neck?
How do you like it?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H