which is better?

also aregibsons too expencive for what u get?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
gibson, but epi's are great for the money
i got a bison sg but still play my epi loads
1. Learn to spell.

2. Gibson are at times more expensive for what you get (like compare a high end Gibson to a high end PRS and the PRS will generally blow the Gibson away). Also Epiphone CAN be better than Gibson, the Epiphone Elitists blowing the low end (those cheaper than a Les Paul Studio) out of the water. Actually Gibsons quality control has started to decline in recent years. I recommend if you want a Gibson to go used. Gibsons from the late 90's (pre 1999) are EXTREMELY nice. I myself have a '98 LP Studio and it's among the best guitar I have ever played.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Epi's are cheaper japanese gibsons pretty much . The value for money is great but they are not quite up to the gibson standard. I have a Gibson Les Paul menace and my mate has an epi SG and the are pretty similar but mine does have a slightly better sound than his and in my opinion is also a bit more versatile as far as music genre goes. I think if you are an advanced player who does a lot of performing go for the gibson but if you are not quite up to that standard yet it may be worth going for the cheaper option. I also recommend the menaces for metal or even a bit of general rock if you are performing because they have a great sound and they are also a bit lighter in weight (plus the look pretty bad ass)
Quote by Gabel
Also Epiphone CAN be better than Gibson, the Epiphone Elitists blowing the low end (those cheaper than a Les Paul Studio) out of the water. Actually Gibsons quality control has started to decline in recent years. I recommend if you want a Gibson to go used. Gibsons from the late 90's (pre 1999) are EXTREMELY nice. I myself have a '98 LP Studio and it's among the best guitar I have ever played.
This is because you have a 90's Studio. The 90's Studios were superb guitars. The new Studios though, are absolutely ****, and are considered low-end. Even just regular production Epiphones beat a new Gibson Studio...

Epiphone Elitists have gone the other way though, when they first started they weren't much better than the production Epis, now they've been upgraded (actually, they were upgraded several years ago) to be much better. In terms of sheer build quality, the only Gibsons that are superior to the Elitists now is the Les Paul Supreme (barely any better), and of course the actual Custom Shop models. The main kicker with Epiphone now isn't the sheer quality, but just player preferences; many people don't like the Epiphone neck profile, few people are happy to use an Epiphone at all (wanting the famous Gibson headstock), and all Epiphones have an inherently 'darker' tone than Gibsons, which many people don't like either (though this tone is actually usually preferred for ultra-clean blues, or ultra-heavy dark metal. For example, many gothic metal bands use Epiphone Elitists over Gibsons).

So really, as far as the top solid body guitars (LP and SG) go, which is better just comes down to 1) how much you're willing to spend - a thousand or so for an Elitist or four or five thousand for a Custom Shop Gibson - and 2) your personal preferences as a player, what kind of necks you like, what sort of tone you're after, etc. As I said before, in terms of sheer, unbias build quality, there's now basically no difference between the two brands.

If you have the money to spend, Gibson Custom Shop wins, hands down.
If you're looking for a more modest price (under a couple of thousand), Epiphone Elitists win.

If you're just looking at guitars under a thousand (low end Gibsons like the Studio and average Epiphone production models like the Custom), then there's nothing in it really. The low-end Gibsons get the Gibson headstock and better stock pickups, the average production Epiphones get better material quality and cost about half the price. Since you can always upgrade pickups anyway, and since you'd be saving money too, I think for low-end instruments you're betetr off with Epiphone and getting it upgraded (better pickups, nut, tuners, pots, bridge, etc). The actual body and necks are fine, and with upgrades you'll beat what the low Gibson would have been, and still end up saving some cash. The downside is it means a lot of work.

All in all though... I think most of the time, I'd go to Gibson anyway. There's just a certain satisfaction you get with Gibson that you just don't get with any Epiphone solid electric. Even the Elitist series won't give you the same buzz as you get when you buy your first actual Gibson guitar. I know it's shallow, but having that logo on that shape headstock really does give you quite a special feeling that no other brand can replicate.

That said, for archtop (semi-hollowbod) guitars, Epiphone wins hands down. The very top Epiphone archtops cost more than the top Gibson archtops (in most countries), and for good reason. Before Gibson bought them, Epiphone were the world's leader in archtop guitars, and were beating Gibson soundly. Epiphone's archtops have been used by the likes of The Beatles, Oasis, U2, Queens Of The Stone Age, John Lee Hooker, The Rolling Stones, and even Les Paul himself.
If you're buying an archtop guitar and want the very best, you go straight to Epiphone. Epiphone's archtops give me the same buzz as Gibson's solidbody guitars do.
No versus threads!

As for which is better. Really depends on you. You might find you like an Epiphone better. Quality wise though, Gibson guitars would be better. Unless you count the aforementioned Elitist guitars.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
so would you say that an epi custom is better than a gibby studio then?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by tom_1106
so would you say that an epi custom is better than a gibby studio then?

A lot of the people around here feel that the Epiphone ELITIST ( not the standard Epiphones) are better than the Studio guitars. They are pretty similar specs wise but I'd try them both out.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
epiphone studios all the way
MY GEAR

Ibanez Af105 (JIZZ )
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone les paul standard
Fender frontman 212r
Yamaha p85

Coheed and cambria: Welcome home - what a song
and more......
i didnt know there were jap made epiphones? I thought they were all made in China
Quote by e32lover
i didnt know there were jap made epiphones? I thought they were all made in China

There are MIJ Epiphones still ... the best way to differentiate them from the newer MIChina and the not so new MIKorea versions is the headstock.

The MIC and MIK sold widely have the "chopped off" headstocks ... I don't understand what possessed them to do this. The MIJ ones have the Gibson "open book" headstock because the Japanese got it right, IMO

Quote by Ippon
The MIC and MIK sold widely have the "chopped off" headstocks ... I don't understand what possessed them to do this. The MIJ ones have the Gibson "open book" headstock because the Japanese got it right, IMO

i think it looks not bad at all!
every time i have compared an epiphone to a gibson standard series the gibson has just had overall better tone and feel. Ill agree that many epiphones are better than the gibson fadeds and studios, but standard gibsons beat out most epiphones. I have both, my gibson has a much brighter tone and is much more versitle and better feeling. my epiphone has a really dark tone and a nice thin neck which i like for metal stuff. As for the price goes, epiphone all the way. Gibsons are way to much money for what your getting, especially with the recent 100+ dollar price hikes.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Gibson's, in most cases are better than epi's, plus with a gibbo you get the much needed ego boost of owning that brand of guitar.

I have a gibson SG and a fender USA tele, and I find that the fender walk all over the gibson in every way, I had to swap the pick up in my SG to get the sound I wanted, and the quality of the fender is much better, and they were both pretty much the same price. It all comes down to build quality, sound, playability, and whether you need a penis extention or not. If you get all of those things, then in my eyes, it's money well spent. So yeah, I would say that the gibbo is slightly overpriced, but still a very nice guitar, they both have their uses. I've owned epi's before, I had a 1990s epiphone nighthawk that was really really nice, as easily as good as my SG, so if you shop around, then yeah, you can find a good one. I'm fickle though, so I prefer owning the named brand.
If someone has data that proves that the Les Paul Studios are made from inferior cuts of wood they need to cite thier sources, otherwise its BS.
Quote by bokuho
This is because you have a 90's Studio. The 90's Studios were superb guitars. The new Studios though, are absolutely ****, and are considered low-end. Even just regular production Epiphones beat a new Gibson Studio...

I have played modern day Studios that are decent.

But I didn't express it enough in my post, but IMO modern day Gibsons are sometimes not only pretty bad, but plain ****e!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by uldhppi
If someone has data that proves that the Les Paul Studios are made from inferior cuts of wood they need to cite thier sources, otherwise its BS.

+1 I am with you 100%, I also wonder where people get this information that Studios are made with cheaper wood, I love Studios, and ugh, not another one of these threads
''Quietly turning the backdoor key
Stepping outside she is free.''

My Equipment =

Fender 2008 American Standard Stratocaster
Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Quote by uldhppi

i agree. i'm no fan of gibson, but i'm no fan of slander either. i wouldn't put it past gibson, but i'd need to see proof too.

also: look into MIJ tokais, edwards and the like. similar (if not better, depending on model) quality to gibson, for prices not much more than non-japanese epiphones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
would replacing the pickups on my epiphone make much of a difference? i mean, make it sound as good as a gibson?
Generally Gibson are better than Epiphone, with some exceptions. For the price of a Gibson though, you can get a MUCH better guitar made by a slightly less well known company, like PRS, Parker or Music Man off the top of my head. If you are willing to spend a little more you can get into the custom market with companies like Suhr & Tom Anderson.

Also wardyh - Epiphone stock pickups suck, changing them makes a BIG difference to your sound. It may not quite sound as good as a gibson (it may sound better!) but it will certainly sound much better than it does now.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by wardyh
would replacing the pickups on my epiphone make much of a difference? i mean, make it sound as good as a gibson?

yes it will make a difference if your amp is good, and the second is pretty much of personal opinion. anyway you should of created your own thread instead of reviving a dead thread.
Gibson's = Awesome if you have the money

Epiphone's = Awesome for the price!

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

It all depends on the guitar. I have played Epis I thought were better than it's Gibson counterpart but when you find a good Gibson nothing can beat it.

As far as Gibson using inferior cuts of wood they are using what they have in stock they are making more multiple piece bodies for their lower end guitars IMO you can see it thru a lot of the clear finishes on some unless they use a solid top and bottom laminate.

In the near future when Gibsons stock of Honduran Mahogany runs out they won't be able to get it anymore so they will have to find an alternative. This isn't just Gibson but any guitar manufacturer that used Honduran Mahogany for their bodies.

Honduran Mahogany is on the endangered species list and there is no more harvesting of this tree. Companies can use what they have left but once that's gone it's gone.

You need to play some Gibsons and Epis do what I do get two similar guitars down off the wall and play them thru the same amp and see what you like better. You would be very surprised at how good Epis are when you do a side by side. Japanese made Epis are the best Korean ones are very good and easier to find but Gibson opened their own Epi plant in China and these are pretty dam good I think in the last couple years they are just as good as the ones made in Korea and maybe the Japanese ones. For some reason Gibson really puts these Chinese made guitars thru very tight QC IMO better than their own QC.

I have a few Epis I preferred over the Gibson I have tried or owned so there are Epis out there that are amazing. I recently bought an Epi Tony Iommi SG took it to GC with me to put it up against a mint used Gibson Iommi SG and the Epi was far better IMHO the feel finish were better and the sound was exactly the same. Considering I paid $350.00 for the Epi used with HSC and the Gibson was $2700.00 with out a case I made the right decision. Of course both guitars had the exact same pups. I found several Epis I have bought to have Gibson USA pups from the factory. Those were the ones that are marked Limited Edition/custom shop except for my Epi LP GOTH that is a basic Epi GOTH it has the same pups as my Gibson Explorer, Gibson's 496-R and 500-T. My Epi GOTH sounds amazing and plays smooth as silk.

John
It really all depends. If you can afford a lower end Gibson, or a high end Epiphone, go for the Epiphone. But of course, a high end Gibson will be better than an Epi.
Quote by Marky_Mark15
It really all depends. If you can afford a lower end Gibson, or a high end Epiphone, go for the Epiphone. But of course, a high end Gibson will be better than an Epi.

such high end epiphones that were comparable to gibsons are no longer in production.

but i would advise getting a used gibson instead of a brand new lower end one as the lower end guitars are very hit and miss - some will be every bit as good as the higher end models at their very best and will be a great deal. others will just be very disappointing, generic and kind of junky feeling guitars. They were a lot more consistent in the 1990s and earlier and you can get a very nice deal on a used one, and i'd actually recommend a used one over any brand new one anytime.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
hopefully people here know that epiphone were there own company until they merged with gibson or bought out by gibson... can't quite recall but if you read up on the history of epiphone then you'll know that even though they sell the same thing they are (to some degree) different companies that made alternate guitars.
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
I'll probably be criticised and called a noob for this, but I'm currenlty looking into buying a semi-hollowbody, and I think I'kd much prefer getting a fairly high-end Epiphone over a Gibson, simply because, while I do agree that Gibsons are the better guitars, current ones are simply not worth their price.
Quote by Gabel
1. Learn to spell.

2. Gibson are at times more expensive for what you get (like compare a high end Gibson to a high end PRS and the PRS will generally blow the Gibson away). Also Epiphone CAN be better than Gibson, the Epiphone Elitists blowing the low end (those cheaper than a Les Paul Studio) out of the water. Actually Gibsons quality control has started to decline in recent years. I recommend if you want a Gibson to go used. Gibsons from the late 90's (pre 1999) are EXTREMELY nice. I myself have a '98 LP Studio and it's among the best guitar I have ever played.

This is correct. My Gibson Explorer from '97 plays like it was made for me
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Hart_Attack
hopefully people here know that epiphone were there own company until they merged with gibson or bought out by gibson... can't quite recall but if you read up on the history of epiphone then you'll know that even though they sell the same thing they are (to some degree) different companies that made alternate guitars.

yeah. gibson bought them in 1957 i think, which really only meant their production was moved to kalamazoo, and they still had their own guitar designs, but they were sold cheaper than the gibsons still. This went on until the mid 1980s when gibson decided to move epiphone to japan and focus on making inexpensive copies. then some point in the early '90s production moved to korea.. then around 2004, china.

While the standard production epiphones are cheap and cheerful, mediocre guitars and suffer from quality control issues, they still make some epiphone historic reissues in the gibson custom shop, which cost considerably less than your average gibson, but still cost custom shop prices nonetheless- these guitars are every bit as good as gibson, but there's still a bunch of morons who say "wtf $4000 for an epiphone, what a joke, it's only an epiphone!!".. and people complain about how you pay for the brand name with a lot of guitars? well... judging by those kind of comments i see on the gibson website make me think that all anyone wants these days from a guitar is a brand logo they can flash around.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.