Hi my name is Julia, and i really want to start playing the electric guitar but I don't know how to get started...

I was thinking about buying one of these Fender guitars, which one would be better for a beginner?

I've also seen the Champion 600's review on the same website. It seems to be a great amp, but I was wondering what other people think about it. Any advice??
i would go with just your basic stratocaster its a great starter i myself will probably use it like 10 years from now and fender amps are not that bad but for my style the distortion sux so try and save up for a different amp
If you are sure that youre going to be playng a lot of guitar, and not just let it rot in corner, a fender would probably be a good choice. Props to you for picking a tube amp and not a 10 watt marshall mg like a lot of beginners do. But I would however choose another tube amp with a little more distortion (but you can always boost the amp with an OD, so I dont know if its neccessary). If I were you I would choose a Fender guitar with a humbucker and two single-coils for maximum versatility.
When you drive the Champion 600, it always sounds a little tinny and fuzzy bevause of the 6 inch speaker. Try getting the new Vibro Champ XD. It's an all tube amp with built in effects and worth the $250 in the long run.
I would go with the Super Champ over the Vibro Champ because I think it is more versatile.But try the both see which one you like.
Quote by just peachy
Hi my name is Julia, and i really want to start playing the electric guitar but I don't know how to get started...

I was thinking about buying one of these Fender guitars, which one would be better for a beginner?

I've also seen the Champion 600's review on the same website. It seems to be a great amp, but I was wondering what other people think about it. Any advice??

Well, how much do you have to spend and what kind of music do you like? Those are the two basic questions.
Hi, I'm Peter
It depends on what kind of music you want to play. I would try out a bunch of guitars and see what feels more comfortable as well. Even if the guitar is good, it doesn't mean it is good for you.

It is probably better to get something decent and cheap and learn a bit before spending too much on a guitar. Once you have learned a bit, you will be better at finding what works best for you.

If you really like a more expensive guitar, though, you should go for it. If you definitely want a Fender Stratocaster and you like how they look and feel, there is nothing wrong with getting a better to guitar to learn on if you know you will stick with it.

However, you probably aren't aware of just how many options and brands and slight differences you can find in guitars that can make a big difference for someone with more experience. When I first started, I had no idea who Ibanez or ESP or Schecter or Engl or all those other companies I know have or am getting equipment from were, those are things I found out after I got more experience.
Last edited by Matheau at Feb 26, 2008,
Hi all, thanks for the advice!

Sorry, I didn't give a budget because I am a little flexible and I wanted to hear what you would suggest first...

So, I was planning on spending around $800 for both the guitar and the amp, but I don't mind spending more if I find something I really like. There are so many choices though, and I feel a little overwhelmed!

I know that I shouldn't choose just by the brand, but so many people have told me that Fender is the best and so I really want one (good marketing on their part I guess!)

As far as the type of music I want to play, I want to try some kind of blues / rock sound...like Eric Clapton

So, that being said - any other ideas?
You can get a nice made in Mexico Strat and a super or vibro champ for that money.
If you want to start, just buy some second-hand stuff. That will save you a lot of monay, and for the same price you can get better stuff.
Quote by just peachy
Hi all, thanks for the advice!

Sorry, I didn't give a budget because I am a little flexible and I wanted to hear what you would suggest first...

So, I was planning on spending around $800 for both the guitar and the amp, but I don't mind spending more if I find something I really like. There are so many choices though, and I feel a little overwhelmed!

I know that I shouldn't choose just by the brand, but so many people have told me that Fender is the best and so I really want one (good marketing on their part I guess!)

As far as the type of music I want to play, I want to try some kind of blues / rock sound...like Eric Clapton

So, that being said - any other ideas?

fender aren't the best. Just to get that out of the way. (well, their vintage ones might be, but i'm guessing you're not forking out $10k for a pre-CBS strat...)

$800 is a pretty good budget for a beginner. You could get a really nice rig for that, especially in the USA.

What type of eric clapton tone? his 60s cream tone? his more modern strat tone?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love a MIM Standard Strat plugged into a Champ 600. That's actually my practice rig. You can roll that for $600, easy, or go used on the Strat and eek in under $500.
I would say get a MIM Stratocaster, as they are very nice and pretty inexpensive, and spend the rest on a decent amp.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
thanks! I really like this site, you are all really helpful

I'll let you know what I end up with!
ok, which clapton songs do you like the guitar tone on? (i'm trying to help, honest)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think I'm more partial to his later stuff...the song layla for example. How can I get a sound like that?
stratocaster. (bear in mind, it doesn't necessarily have to be a fender- just something which is either a strat, or an accurate copy- with 3 single coils)

MIM fender standard strat is bound to be worth a look... i like blades too. they're a little more expensive than an MIM, but much nicer guitars, if you ask me. If you can find a used Japanese-made Tokai strat copy (it'll be called goldstar, springysound, silver star or something along those lines) that'd be worth a look too. You'd have to go used as they've stopped making them, but you can pick up the newer ones second-hand for less than an MIM strat. and are vastly superior if you ask me.

Just some options to look into, anyway.

i haven't tried the champion, but it's bound to be worth a try. not sure if it has enough overdrive though. you want some kind of small fenderish tube amp which you can crank up to get a decent overdrive.

I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm in the same boat ... Looking for an entry level Fender strat and tube amp.

Have a look at the Blues Junior. You can pick them up on ebay for around $300-400.
With the guitars suggested above that will hit your target spending range pretty good.