I want to fit a new neck to a strat body. I need to drill holes in the neck as it is a new neck and is undrilled. My question is do I need to just drill the holes and screw in the screws? Or do I also have to tap the holes first? The screws look like they are self tapping but I am a noob when it comes to woodwork.
I'd put the neck into the neck pocket, then use a pencil to mark through the existing neck holes in the body where they should be. Find a drill that's smaller than the neck bolts, then drill a small way into the neck - use tape wrapped around your drill as a depth guide.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
if youre a noob when it comes to woodwork,then dont do it yourself,find someone knowledgeable or you might screw up the neck!
Quote by Alijonroth
if youre a noob when it comes to woodwork,then dont do it yourself,find someone knowledgeable or you might screw up the neck!

Yeah you are right. But I think I can do it. I'm more worried that someone else will muck it up. I'm not a clutz so should be ok

Does anyone know what size drill bit to use? What is the standard size for Fender neck bolts?
You dont have to tap the hole, because they are technically screws not bolts.

Use a drill bit that is the same size and the shaft of the screw, so the holes will be smaller than the actual screw thread that will hold it in place when assembled.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
ok I think i know what i'm doing. Except i'm not sure where to mark the holes for drilling...

I've pushed the neck into the body as far as it will go, and there is a small gap about 1mm big between the neck and the scratch plate (21 fret neck, no overhang). Should I mount the neck here or I could mark the neck here, but drill the holes 1mm up the neck. So when the screws go in, it should make the neck move down a bit and fit very tightly into the body with no gap.

This will affect tuning. I don't want the tuning to be off at some frets, so I want to get it spot on. Or am I just trying to be too precise?

Edit: i've just realized that's what the intonation adjustment on the bridge is for with regards to the tuning. But should I try and get rid of that 1mm gap or leave it?
Last edited by Dave_M at Feb 28, 2008,
You are never going to get spot on tuning, Unless you use those weird curvy frets that Steve Vai is using, it gives perfect intonation, or so I've heard
Easiest way is to put the neck in its socket as far as it will go. I use a drill bit the same size as the holes in the body and using my fingers spin it to give a little bit of a mark on the neck. Then take it back out you l know where to put the new holes. A drill press is best but careful use of a hand drill will do it. Figure out the depth of the hole just short of the fret board, put tape around the drill bit as a stop. As for size screws can be different for companies so no hard rule on size of bit. But compare the bit to the solid part of the screw.
definately try and use a drill press if you are going to drill pilot holes. using a hand drill will never give a prefectly vertical hole, the bit will hit knots, resin in the wood and the grain itself will fractionally kick the bit off line. So when you then come to attach it to the guitar you might find it is further out than the 1mm you got now. I clamped the neck to the guitar leaving the bottom two holes exposed (it was an RG), drilled a VERY thin and shallow pilot (2mm maybe - width and depth) just so the screw head would bite, and drilled the screws stright in. the neck then seated in the pocket almost perfect. I would advise mostly thought that you just take your time and don't rush it. good luck
Quote by the_random_hero
I'd put the neck into the neck pocket, then use a pencil to mark through the existing neck holes in the body where they should be. Find a drill that's smaller than the neck bolts, then drill a small way into the neck - use tape wrapped around your drill as a depth guide.

Very good, exactly what i was going to say. I was also going to suggest making sure that the neck is TRULY STRAIGHT before i go drilling away. I would make sure that it is perfectly align with the the bridge by using a piece of string, or a guitar string. If it doesnt move in the pocket, well then you're all set to go.
Thanks for the guidance. I tried using the scews to mark the neck. Felt like it was going in. Took a screwdriver and a bit of effort but i managed to get the screws all the way in without drilling at all. Screws went in dead straight since they were guided by the holes in the body. Neck is a great fit, very solid. Excelent