Ok I own a XXX and live in a town house so I can't turn the thing up really loud. But in order to get nice thick sounding tones from my amp I have a MetalZone pedal that I have been using in front of it.

I have tried to adjust the amp itself but the thing is so touch if you fart near the thing it changes the sound, and it is very hard to find people that want to share there settings with you. So I had worked on my MetalZone and the setting I had on my SS amp sounds very thick and bottom heavy on my XXX.

I know I probably should not be using a digital pedal before my Tube amp but at lower volumes it What would this pedal sound like at higher volumes?
I don't think the Metal Zone is digital. And probably not good at higher volumes. Certainly not as good as the natural sound from your XXX.
don't do it.. when you get into a band, the bottom heavy sound will just sound like **** next to your other guitarist and bassist.. put your lows around 7, mids around 5 and highs at 8.. that's my setting i use everytime i go to sam ash for the triple xxx
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string
all monster/mogami cables

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

howabout some precision metal, ladies and gentlemen?
www.myspace.com/flawlessamongthefallen
So... Wait, let me get this straight. You're not using the amp drive because you can't find settings? Jeez! Just muck around with it. Just start with everything flat and tweak it from there.

If you really can't find anything, I found that these settings worked great on the crunch channel: Bass:7, Mids: 10, Treble:4-7 (which ever you prefer between those settings) and the gain at 5-7. Hopefully that helps somewhat.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Great to hear from guys that have the amp... I really like the amp but there is so many setting on the thing.. Then there is that dampening switch on the back which I believe adjusts the speaker response.

anti-goth I see you have a Tubescreamer. I do see alot of people use that. I think Actually Kirk Hammett uses one as well. How do you find that pedal?

And let me ask this... Is there a way for me to get a sound at a lower volume and it will stay the same at higher volumes? I have my master volume at 1 oclock and adjust my channel volumes accordingly. Right now I am using bedroom volumes.
Slightly off topic, but...

Most distortion pedals are not digital. They are analogue circuits with transistors. Digitech X-Series(but not Grunge, Death Metal, Bad Monkey and Screaming Blues) and possibly Line 6 pedal are, otherwise almost every distortion box is analogue.

Solidstate =/= digital. You can even build a digital computer with tubes, it'll just be the size of a house and throw off enough heat to double as a mall or factory furnace.

On topic...

Your Metal Zone, if you like how it sounds, will likely sound about the same as it gets louder. Your XXX will sound much, much nicer as it gets louder. I'd try to get some good settings when it's loud, and keep the pedal for low volume practise.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Just find the right settings. google boss metalzone settings or boss metal zone manual. Thats what I do to get my settings with stuff.
an attenuator?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by life_777
Just find the right settings. google boss metalzone settings or boss metal zone manual. Thats what I do to get my settings with stuff.

Sadly there are no right settings when it comes to the Metalzone.

TS, you just need to learn to use your amp - but you need to let go of the MT2, you're just scared to play without it and you need to face the fear!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by fleh
http://cgi.ebay.com/Volume-Box-PEAVEY-VTX-Valveking-Ultra-Plus-6505-212_W0QQitemZ130198100693QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostingt
- something like this might b good for you although i know nothing about them i just found them by accident one on ebay. it should let u crank the amp at lower levels

I've read those are things are a case of "Too good to be true and it is". they are noisy and don't work well at all, plus kill your tone. It also doesn't work like an attenuator as you can't drive your poweramp. Sure you can turn it up, but there isn't enough signal going through it to drive it. Basically its not different than just keeping your master low and preamp volume up. Attenuators also tend to be noisy, over priced, tone killers unless you buy a very high end one like a Dr Z. They are aimed at people recording anyway, and less for just practice. Remember, when you are recording you want 100% of your tone; when practicing with yourself, that isn't quite key, and most good tones sound bland on their own anyway.

But yes TS, you need to learn how to EQ your amp, as the main difference volume makes is the amount of distortion; which if you 100% need every ounce, get a TS9. Not to say Metal Zone's don't have their place, but an OD does the job so much better.
Yeah I am not really a sound guy... I do have a question that will probably get me flamed... The term scooping the MID's... what does that refer too?
Quote by medium mike
Yeah I am not really a sound guy... I do have a question that will probably get me flamed... The term scooping the MID's... what does that refer too?

Turning your mids knob down or turning the Contour knob up. Heavily scooping them sounds alright practicing, but sucks in a band setting as the guitar has ability to "cut" through the mix.
Quote by medium mike

Scooping the mids is pretty much lowering the mids on an amplifier in Layman's terms. Basically you put your mids at zero with you bass and treble dimed, Ergo, achieving a 'scooped' tone. You could get into the whole technical mumbo jumbo about it but it's really pointless if you don't know much about sound and such.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Does anyone have a good spot to start on sound?

Kind of funny. I was playing and standing in front of my amp. I would move to the side and the sound got thicker as well. I thought what the hell is going on?!?! After a few days I figured out it was the sound vibrating (dampening if you will) my strings and affecting my tone. So yeah I am a bit sound retarded...
To EQ, you want to follow these steps.

1. Start with all the EQ knobs on 5.
2. Play. What do you want more of on the sound? Boom? Oomph? Sparkle?
Boom is bass, Oomph is mids, Sparkle is treble. Turn the one you want up one.
3. Play again. What's it missing this time? Or, what is there too much of? Turn the knobs down / up 1 accordingly.
4. Keep doing it until you like the sound.

At least, that's what I do.
Try running the Metalzone as a boost.

Put the gain fairly low 7-10:00 then cut the output way up, say about 3:00 and run that through the drive channel on a XXX. Should give you a meaner distorted tone without getting too fizzy.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio