I've been looking into buying a new guitar for $500-$750. I play everything from progressive rock, jazz, to metal.

Everyone's been recommending Ibanez or schecter so I was wondering what people thought of ESPs.

More specifically the ESP LTD EC-500

Are these versatile, or more just for metal?

Opinions?
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat
Ibanez RG4EX1
Vox 30ADVT
Fender DG series acoustic
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Frontman 15G
i have that guitar and i love it
but i play mostly metal and hardcore with it.
it could probably do what you want it to
great guitars.
especially for metal but they can genrally get quite good tones for any style. save maybe, a blue-grass telecaster tone. but apart from that they can do pretty much most things.

i would also say that anything lower than a 500 model isn't worth the money
I was considering buying an LTD EC-500 too.

But I've heard some bad things about EMG's (except for metal )... that especially the clean sound is really flat.

And unfortunately I can't hear for myself, they don't sell ESP/LTD anywhere near my town...
Quote by scottishmob

This is a site for musicians and you're all crying about the sad state of rock? Fuck that. I'm going to practice more and take over radio. I advise you all to do the same.
Quote by frantix
I was considering buying an LTD EC-500 too.

But I've heard some bad things about EMG's (except for metal )... that especially the clean sound is really flat.

And unfortunately I can't hear for myself, they don't sell ESP/LTD anywhere near my town...

You can't just take a guitar with EMG's and put a clean tone you made while using another guitar and expect it to sound great. You have to adjust your cleans to sound better with EMG's -- I can get great clean tone out of them.
they are good even with the emg's. i believe you can also choose to have them with a more versatile seymore duncan pickup set but if youre looking to do mostly metal then stick with the emgs.
Yeah, I'm still not sure about the active pickup because I've heard that you can hear every single mistake very clearly...

Is that true?

Also, should I be looking for something with a fixed bridge, or can I get a reliable FR in this price range
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat
Ibanez RG4EX1
Vox 30ADVT
Fender DG series acoustic
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Frontman 15G
Last edited by Universal_Mind at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by Black-Metal
great guitars.
especially for metal but they can genrally get quite good tones for any style. save maybe, a blue-grass telecaster tone. but apart from that they can do pretty much most things.

i would also say that anything lower than a 500 model isn't worth the money

EC-400 Archtop?
I'm going to create the procrastination club, just later...
My experience with the EC line (while limited) is very positive. For the money they are good guitars. If you're wanting versatile pick up one of the amberbusrts with duncans in it and you will be set.

I actually own an EC-100QM, it's really an outstanding guitar for the low price they're asking.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Been playing ESP for nearly 10 years and IMHO, they're excellent guitars
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Ive got an EC500, they're pretty more towards the metal side of things with EMGs, that's not saying you can't play some good cleans etc. Awsome guitar though.
Quote by Universal_Mind
Yeah, I'm still not sure about the active pickup because I've heard that you can hear every single mistake very clearly...

Is that true?

Also, should I be looking for something with a fixed bridge, or can I get a reliable FR in this price range

if i would get a guitar for playing metal, i would get something with a FR. i also find that i play a little faster on a guitar with a trem and not one with a stopbar. but as for EMGs sound, they will DO for cleans, but arent the best or course. but EMGs work for rpetty much any kind of rock, even with a tad bit of distortion. i play blues on mine. sounds cool with both Pups activated. i would say get that guitar man.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke