Gday, I have been building a custom strat, and i would now like to finish my project by painting the headstock, is there any special tricks to getting it looking real nice? I plan to just sand it down, smooth it out, change the shape of it (with a jigsaw), then apply a paint. Also, what is a good type of paint, how many layers, and should i apply some kind of outer coating to it?

Never done it before, but cant imagine it being too hard
just use normal spray paint from local hardware shop, spray it, sand it, spray it, sand it, spray it, sand it, varnish it (clear varnish though),sand it, varnish it, sand it again, and varnish it again with a really fine sandpaper and then polish to desired effect, thats how i do all of mine, there is a fine line between not enough coats which will just fade or look taky as it wont be an even finish or too many layers and not varnished right will make it either go bubbly by over application or make the paint chip really easily, not much to it really just do everything a few times to get a good finish, hope this helps, i wouldnt use nail varnish if you want it to actually look nice, or i cant get it too look good, but then again i dont really use nail varnish for anything,lol
I plan to just sand it down, smooth it out, change the shape of it (with a jigsaw), then apply a paint

wouldnt you want to change the shape of it before sanding so you can then you can sand the ruff edges the jigsaw leaves?