I'm having a very tough time getting any kind of consistent sound with palm muting. one second I mute the sound out entirely, the next second it sounds completely full because I didn't mute it at all. Plus, how to mute evenly across all the strings?

Thanks!
Keep your hand fixed on the bridge so that you only have to make a slight movement to start palm muting. Also, start off slow and gradually build up speed with a metronome.
dont mute a lot, just get a small part of ur palm hangin over from the bridge to the strings, then u can apply more palm/pressure to mute more and less etc etc.

just keep tryin it, watch some youtube **** maybe
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
You think muting is hard. Just wait until you have to learn pinch harmonics.
i think palm muting comes with practice just keep practicing and it should all settle itself out
Quote by Tdevil333
You think muting is hard. Just wait until you have to learn pinch harmonics.

I find pinched harmonics far easier.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

I would suggest you place the joint between your hand and your wrist just on the edge of the bridge. I sometimes substiute this for harmonics that are hard to do.
practice practice practice. go through trying a buncha ways to place the palm until you find the one that works then just work on it.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.