I'm looking for a pair of humbuckers to fit into my Squier strat in order to improve it. If money was no object I would probably go for the Bare Knuckle Mule in the bridge and the Mississippi Queen at the neck. Could anyone suggest any pickups which are similar to these but cheaper and of reasonably high quality? I'm basically looking for a P90 type sound in the neck for cleans and a high output humbucker for the bridge.
Quote by rancidryan
is it single coil at the moment? i recomend one of these you wont need to mod the body then http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/jb_jr_sjbj1/

It is fitted with single coils but the body has large cavities at both the neck and bridge meaning I wouldn't have to alter the body. I was also looking for something a bit more powerful than a JB.
Strat is not the right kind of wood for humbuckers. Even bareknuckles would sound thin and not so impressive. Don't buy seamore duncan they are very expensive in the UK. So I can't recomend you put humbuckers in.

If you really must then look at www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
Quote by Dave_M
Strat is not the right kind of wood for humbuckers. Even bareknuckles would sound thin and not so impressive. Don't buy seamore duncan they are very expensive in the UK. So I can't recomend you put humbuckers in.

I assume you mean woods like alder and ash when you say 'Strat'. Is there no point trying to improve my Squier because of the low quality body and neck? As they're the most expensive parts.
Quote by Dave_M

Uh, do you know anything about pickups? TONES of people take Squiers and load up good pickups in them. It will sound better, as the alder used in them tends to be fairly decent for what it is. Likewise, Duncan cost just as much as Bareknuckle and probably Swines Head over there, so your point is moot.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't agree. Strats sound fine with humbuckers in them. It's a matter of choosing the right one, though.

To get that Mountain tone, you'll need a fat sound in the bridge. Grab the Mule with an Alnico II magnet, and you should be set.

What's your amp, though?

5w Epiphone Valve Junior.
Cool. So yeah, something like Alnico II should fatten up your bridge position some.

If you want a P-90-ish tone from the neck, BKP also makes humbucker-sized P-90's. Check underneath your pickguard, to see if you neck position is routed for humbuckers. It often is, even thought it has a single coil there.

Or wait, are you saying you don't the money for BKP?

If not, then your best bet for the bridge would be a Swinehead Condor, maybe.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Cool. So yeah, something like Alnico II should fatten up your bridge position some.

If you want a P-90-ish tone from the neck, BKP also makes humbucker-sized P-90's. Check underneath your pickguard, to see if you neck position is routed for humbuckers. It often is, even thought it has a single coil there.

Or wait, are you saying you don't the money for BKP?

If not, then your best bet for the bridge would be a Swinehead Condor, maybe.

Yeah, I don't really have enough for two BKPs. Are you sure you don't mean the neck for the Condor? It's the lowest ouput pickup Swineshead make. I was thinking of a combination of the condor and the xbucker or is it stupid to just choose the highest ouput one there? Bear in mind I do want a fairly powerful bridge sound but one that's defined and not muddy.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone know what the outputs for the Vintage V100's pickups are as I can't find any info on it. That's my other guitar so I thought I could use their output levels as a guide.
Last edited by Liam4 at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Well, the Mule isn't exactly high output, either. What tones are you looking for, exactly? At frst I thought you wanted to Leslie West's tone on Mississippi Queen, but then I realized I read it wrong.

I play a fair bit of Muse so I'm aiming for that sort of sound. I've already got a les paul copy which is pretty versatile so I thought I'd go all out and try and make a heavier sounding guitar, as well as make use of my abandoned Squier.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Maybe just a Warthog in the bridge, then, and then the Condor in the neck. Wire in a series/parallel switch for the Condor, and you'll have plenty of options.

Yeah that sounds good. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Actually while I'm at it, are there any other parts I should be considering changing in order to improve my Squier? Apart from the electronics. Bear in mind my money is limited and will mostly go towards the pickups.
Paint maybe. unless your totally happy with your color. i would go for some artwork, too.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter
Paint maybe. unless your totally happy with your color. i would go for some artwork, too.

I was thinking more in terms of non-cosmetic. As it's already black I'm probably going to install a black pickguard with nickel covered pickups.
Quote by Dave_M

It really is hard to comprehend how utterly unlike your near-namesake you are
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Liam4
I assume you mean woods like alder and ash when you say 'Strat'. Is there no point trying to improve my Squier because of the low quality body and neck? As they're the most expensive parts.

Yes, I believe squire strat would be made of alder. A squire strat isn't very a very good guitar so it IS a good idea to try and improve it. A new set of pickups can transform the sound. But if you are trying to turn your strat into a heavier sounding guitar than your LP copy, then I don't think that will work very well.

Also don't forget if you put high output and low output pickups in the same quitar, you will have a big step in volume when you switch pickups.

Quote by steven seagull
It really is hard to comprehend how utterly unlike your near-namesake you are

haha, well I don't mind being different. Don't do it! Don't put humbuckers in your strat! Sacrilege!
Would buying expensive pickups such as bareknuckles be a bad idea? Is there a strong likelihood of something going wrong or will the cost outweigh the benefit in a Squier?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, you can always take the BKP's and put them in a new guitar.

Are you going to swap the pickups yourself?

Yes, but I've got no experience whatsoever.