Well basically me and my band wana start doing some recordings, now i know that we wont get recording studio quality. But we wana record some songs with something apart from phones. Anyway were looking for a cheap dynamic mic to record the three of us guitar, guitar and drums. Also my mate does have a laptop but its hard to get hold of off his bro. So what would be something decent to record into. We aint got much money but around £20-30. Maybe a little more
go to sum second hand shops in your near.. sum1 else wants sum help? i'm having a happy day after my epic win succes date

EDIT:
the Shure sm57 is about 88€ are you joking or why did you post that? he wanted to buy sumthign for about 20-30 pounds
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
Quote by Wasted Resource
Shure sm57. It's the best mic for the money, and it will last forever.

that is your best and only option right now in my opinion
i said: second hand shop... you'll get something nice for a nice price..
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
You're gonna need more than that to get anything decent, at least from drums. I'd just get a Soundblaster Audigy and record straight into that for electric guitars, then just put in some synth drums. You're not getting any recording equipment worth paying for at that price (in terms of microhpones and what not). If you can save up for a little USB M-Audio or E-MU box and then get an SM57 and you can record everything separately and it'll come out pretty nice.

Here's two recordings I made. "1" is just my electric plugged into my amp and then sent into a SoundBlaster Audigy card with no changes whatsoever. "High E" is my amp mic'd by an SM57 in my E-MU 0404 USB box with no changes after that, just a straight recording:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=112927007

SoundBlasters vary in price but the one I bought can probably be had for around 20 bucks these days (probably 14 pounds or euros or whatever...euros I think at that conversion rate), the SM57 is about 100 bucks, and the E-MU is about 200 or so. So the Audigy route is 20 bucks total, the SM57 and E-MU is about 300 before tax (so about 200 euros I guess).
either you go and buy sum cheap mics at the second hand shop or you have to save up a bit(what i recommened)
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
That lightsnake thing looks like your best bet if you want to mic as well (although even then I'm not sure the drums are gonna sound like anything). And in regards to the other guys comment I would think you could just plug the guitar cable in your amp output and use the distortion/effects from that.

That said the reviews seem to be a mixed bag, apparently alot of people have problems with recording (static, etc.). To be honest I would just wait and get an SM57 and a decent sound card.
Last edited by mattvl at Feb 26, 2008,
You might as well tell us you want to start a space program, but rockets are too xpensiv! yO i wantz it for 5 whatever symbol that was - euros I guess.

Look, unless you are ready to cough up several hundred, you'll get ****. Trust me, I've done it.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
That looks decent, but how do you get effects, and distortion, etc?

Pedals. :]
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
well what about getting a few cheap crappy mics, rather than one and putting them on each instrument, and then into some sorta mixer thing or something. Like i said i ma complete noob, i will have to talk to other guys but its just to start off with the phone recording isnt that bad. I mean if its several hundred bucks we may as well go to a recording studio we can get reduction.
That'll be a couple hundred for like 2 songs. If you buy the equipment you'll be able to use it forever. A couple cheap crappy mics and a cheap crappy mixer will get you some incredibly cheap, crappy recordings and it'll still cost more than you're planning on paying.
right so could we use just one sm57 for the whole band? And what would we plug it into, we might be able to get my mates bro laptop. Anyway keep the replies coming we could possibly afford a sm57 if we scraped together. its £20 each
You'll probably need some sort of preamp to power as well. That would put you up over 20 euros (or pounds) each. That said I have heard recordings of people just plugging SM57's into their soundscards and them being loud enough...and if you're mic'ing an amp and drums that may just be the cause, just make sure you turn microphone boost on in windows. I guess you could always bring it back if that doesn't work.
the conditions are hardly ideal in his garage, just wana record soemthing better than phone
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Ahhhh, so you can still connect them up.

of course, it IS a guitar cable. Just with a different end.

:]
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by HeartRaz0r
go to sum second hand shops in your near.. sum1 else wants sum help? i'm having a happy day after my epic win succes date

EDIT:
the Shure sm57 is about 88€ are you joking or why did you post that? he wanted to buy sumthign for about 20-30 pounds

It's no joke. You can't get anything decent for under 30 pounds.

The sm57 is the best inexpensive mic around. If you don't have the cash, you're better off saving for something decent rather than buying garbage.
Quote by walidb123
mine lasted a week. it was still in it's box and fell from knee height and the wire inside ripped somehow.

but while it worked, it was a beauty.

I would have returned it ASAP, but you could fix it. Soldering is easy. Everyone who buys gear should learn how.