Hey all. Pretty new to the UG forums, but I'm just wondering something.

I have a Epiphone Les Paul Special II right now, it's a pretty nice guitar, got it for £90 so it's not bad. I've been playing for about a year now, starting to get quite serious. I get paid at the end of this month and I'll have about a grand in the bank so I was wondering, would it be worth buying a Gibson SG? I really love SG's, but would it do anything that my current Epiphone doesn't do? Should I maybe just buy a new amp instead, and when I start getting really properly serious I'll consider a guitar upgrade? Don't really want to blow £900 or whatever on a new guitar if theres not really a need for it.

Cheers for input.
get a decent amp first
you'll only tell the difference between the SG and the epi after you advance more as a player
=]

or just get an epi G-400 [its an SG with a different name] for half the price!
I think I might just go for a new amp. Any suggestions? I saw the youtube video for the Roland Cube 60 amp and I thought that looked really good, despite the guy presenting it being...

... slightly weird
SG > Les Paul in my opinion =/
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by CrazyDavey
but would it do anything that my current Epiphone doesn't do? Cheers for input.

yeah it would sound good
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
the sg is more ownage cuz it's from gibson.. don't forget the difference between epiphones and gibsons... but would the les paul be a gibson, i would say the lespaul is the better one
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
what amp do you have? what music do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Fat Rat 15W amp, its pretty terrible. I play a kind of blend of Rock and Indie, but I don't want to constrict myself to one genre of music with my guitar as I enjoy blues and metal aswell.
Going from an entry level Epiphone Special to a Gibson Standard is a pretty big jump... unless you mean the Gibson Faded SG?
I would go with a G400 or G400 Custom rather than go all the way up to Gibson.
Plus you'll have enough to get a decent amp, as well.
The Roland Cubes and Vox Valvetronix seem to be the most acclaimed modeling amps in their price range.

But nothing beats first hand experience. Go to a local shop and play a few Gibs and a few Eps, and see what you think. Also, try out a few amps.
All new gear is always good.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
yeah i'd get a new amp long before blowing £900 on a new guitar. split that and you could get a new guitar and amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I remember years ago I asked for a guitar starter package for a christmas present. Needless to say I was very disappointed fairly soon after I got it. It eventually ended up smashed and in the bin. So after a little wait I decided to buy a proper guitar.

So I bought a GAX30 thinking it was a "proper" guitar unlike that starter pack crap from Argos. Naively thinking it was the guitar which made up most of the sound, I quickly bought some crap 15w SS amp off ebay for £20, again it sounded awful and I was pissed off

So I bought an Epiphone LP Custom thinking that it would sound awesome even on my cheap amp. Again it sounded like ass, although admittedly i could still tell a bit of a difference

Any way i thought **** this and went out to buy a microcube amp. What a ****ing difference! From then on there was no looking back, I learned to play many songs on it and it sounds fantastic. I later bought an orange tiny terror (cute little tube amp) I love my 2 little amps, it's them which makes a good guitar sound good. Funnily enough I still use my microcube as much as the tiny terror. I fell in love with the sound of it and it's built in effects

Anyway moral of the story is, you'd be disappointed if you bought a Gibson and used it on your amp
Everything > Epiphone Les Paul Special

Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Custom > Gibson SG Special

Gibson SG Standard > Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Custom.

There's my thoughts.
ok a $1000sg will kick the sh*t out of a $90 lp,, i would buy a gibson les paul
dude the only difference between the faded sg and the standard is cosmetic stuff they sound exactly the same
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Dave_Mc
what amp do you have? what music do you play?

+X^0

Getting a new guitar is always exciting and fun. But after the honeymoon, you'll still be aching for a better tone.

At a party a few weeks ago, I played a $70 Squier '51 (slightly modded: DM Breed bridge) through a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II ... it slayed.

Quote by CrazyDavey
Holy ****, who dug this thread up?

Christ, I was a noob.

LOL, its only been 5 months at the most, sorry to break the news, but you are still a noob.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius