I was watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x58lWQwJqKs

And, in my opinion, it's the best ending jam the Red Hot Chili Peppers have done. But I was really interested in which effects John was using at the beginning of the jam (not Give It Away, obviously).

I just assume he's messing around with his Moogs...but anyone have any idea what in specific he's doing? It's pretty cool, and I can just tell that Flea and Chad are just loving it.
Sounded to me like some sort of oscillating delay.

EDIT:
Hold on, I listened to it again, and I think it might have been a sound like something you can do with an effect such as one of those ZVex tremolo effects, cutting the volume of some of the beats.

Like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KfKRhuCwFI
Last edited by whoismilan at Feb 26, 2008,
It's a Moog. It could be done with a Tremolo, though.

Deffo not an oscillating delay, you can tell when he actually plays.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
sounds like distortion, chorus, then a load of **** liek moogs, sounds like one of his delays with one of the filter ones at the start but i don't really have a clue about them. Sounds alot like it could be the murf throughout a lot of it? like when flea and chad go quiet for a bit and john is messing around with pedals.
POST FINDER
Quote by rhcp_freak
Deffo not an oscillating delay, you can tell when he actually plays.

At about 8 minutes in, it looks as though he's just holding a note, which is what lead me to believe that the effect is set to oscillate.
Quote by whoismilan
At about 8 minutes in, it looks as though he's just holding a note, which is what lead me to believe that the effect is set to oscillate.

That's called feedback.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
That's called feedback.

Why do I even bother with Ultimate-Guitar...

Oscillation is a form of feedback, in this case I was referring to the self oscillating delay.
Quote by whoismilan
Why do I even bother with Ultimate-Guitar...

Oscillation is a form of feedback, in this case I was referring to the self oscillating delay.

But when he started playing, the oscillation woulda messed up and sounded balls, much like it does on my DMM. Go try it out.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Roc8995
It's a MuRF. That modulated trem sound is unmistakable.

I never knew they were called MuRFs.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Roc8995
Multiple Resonance Filter AKA Moog MF-105

I just know 'em all by the name Moog.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
It definitely has the murf, but I also think its got the fm-4. It sounds very much like the end of slane castle, which you can visibly see him turning the knobs of a fm-4.

THat or his guyatone tremolo + murf
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat