Hey,

I've got a Yamaha Pacifica 012;

I tried lowering the action, by using a TINY allen key to turn the things on the bridge, there's two of them for each string, sorry, I don't know what they're called... It worked a little, but didn't sound too good

I have an LP copy, which has lots of tone and is VERY nice to play, I really don't play my Pacifica becuase of this, that is why I want to improve it, what can I do, that isn't expensive to make it sound better and make it nicer to play?

Also, I want to paint it, I was thinking an EVH style, how easy is it to wire it all back up again and how do you remeber where all the wires went?

And, how do I fit and remove the neck, is there anything special that I need to do?

Thanks for your time!
lol didnt know u made an acount on this danny lol, i'll give u a hand painting it if u want? no idea how hard it will be but i'll help out
Dean: Razorback 255
Epiphone: SG G-400
Westfield: LP Custom Style E4500
Westfield: B220C
Epiphone: Thunderbird IV
Line 6: Spider III 120
Laney: RB6
Marshall: MX15
Ibanez: WD7 Wheeping Demon
Digitech: GNX3000
Digitech: Whammy
As far as lowering the action (string to fretboard distance) goes I would just have a guitar tech do it. Most places charge less than $20, and that way you know it's done right. It's not too hard to do by yourself, but usually you end up screwing up the intonation. Atleast if your a noob like me you do.

As far as painting goes I'm really not sure. I've been looking into getting my SG special painted lime green, but it's not a guitar I'm willing to sacrifice. Good luck to you.
Well you wouldn't be able to do much if you don't want to spend much.
You could put in new pickups maybe?

The neck can be removed by a screwdriver, no special shizz for that
/CENTER]
The Pacifica series are excellent guitars, I'd say the best in the lower ranges. Even so it can take a bit of tweaking to get a comfortable action, especially on the 012 where little attention is paid to fret crowning and levelling.
I could go through the steps of setting up a guitar myself, but frankly I'm lazy and there's some much better reference material at Project Guitar.

Same goes for finishing actually, though I wouldn't reccomend an EVH as a first-time refinish, unless you really don't like the guitar. Cheaper guitars have thick finishes so bear in mind that hand=sanding can take hours of hard work - if you know anyone with a power sander it'll be a lot easier.
I like the guitar, lol.
Do you sand it down to the wood?

Should I paint the scratch plate too, or take it off and fill the holes in?

Yeah, I think I'll take it to a shop, to get it all set up properly, I think there's a problem with the pick ups too, or the wiring, when the selector is at the front, it's fine, but when you move it to any of the other 4 positions, it sounds clean (with OD on) and really faint!?

Haha! Hi Mike!
About rewiring: No need for that. You lift the pickguard off and everything comes right off with it. Except for the jack, which you just unscrew as well and that's that.

Oh, there's an earth wire somewhere, just remember where that is attached and then unsolder it. You should be able to remember just that one thing.
do white with a black pickguard.

it would look like jason becker's guitar on the front of speed metal symphony.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Thanks for that Pikka! It'll make things a lot easier!

Snakes, Could do, but I don't really want a white guitar...

I was thinking of sanding it down, then if the wood looks good, varnish that, with a black scratch plate and dials?

What do you think the wood will look like?
The wood will probably be sorta alright. Not dazzlingly gorgeous, but not all ratty either. As far as I know, Pacifica bodies are five-piece, so there'll be four join lines that might be rather easy to notice. But they might also be somewhat discreet.
Haha! So there's no real telling how it'll look till I get down to it, I guess if it doesn't look any good then I can just paint over it...
Yeah. The good thing about that is that you'll then have to teach yourself how to seal and prime the wood.

Also, it's preferable to having the combined thickness of the old paintjob and the new.
If you're gonna paint it in opaque colours then there's no real need to sand it down to the wood, just scuff sand it and then you can paint over it and laquer it. But as Pikka said it will make the finish really thick.
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Ok, Sure, I'll do that then...

What kind of spray paint would I need and laquer?

Is there any problems with it being thick, and is there anywhere that I should really avoid getting paint?
Having a fat layer of paint might make the guitar less loud acoustically, but it shouldn't have much effect on the sound that comes through your amp. Avoid painting the fretboard
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
use a shim to lower the action
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
^A shim? Explain... I'd like the TS to explain what he means by "didn't sound too good", so we can tell what the problem is. Fret buzz? A truss rod adjustment may be in order.

^^Like they say, the practical side effects of thick paint are miniscule. But I think it's more proper, kinda like I'd prefer my car to not have three colours underneath the topmost layer.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Feb 27, 2008,
What's a Shim?

Well, it doesn't sound too loud, when not played through my amp, it sounds kinda flat... the strings aren't old either, recently put on... the frets buzz a little, and the action is too high.

I may take it to my local music store to get it looked at, because the selector switch when moved, cuts the sound and it take a while to come back on, also, when I have the selector switch in the neck pickup position, it sounds a lot better, and when I have it in the bridge pickup position, it sounds as if it takes some of the distortion away, it sounds acoustic, through the amp? Screwed up I know!

Well, I think I'll sand a little of the paint off then paint over it... I think I've decided on the EVH red style... with a black scratchplate. Do I use spray paints for plastic?

Also, what do I use to finish it, over the paint?

Thanks!
a shim u put inbetween the neck and body to raise the neck its just a peice of card lol
hels to stop fret buzz
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
^^^ That would increase fret buzz you retard. Truss rod adjustment is the best solution.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
You guys got any ideas on the problems I posted in my last post?

Also, I went to the guitar shop today and they said to use some glass paper, and that it'd be hard to get it right for painting?
You use a clearcoat over the paint. Check out the ultimate painting sticky on top of this forum, I'm sure it's listed there. Also, I think you'll need a different kind of paint for plastics, but I'm not so sure on that. Maybe someone in a paint shop can help you there.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Ok Sure, thanks for that Kanthras!

What about the hardware problems I'm having, I listed them on the previous page...
Uhh, you're probably gonna have to rewire it. Maybe there's a bad solder joint somewhere which is causing the signal to half-die out or a wire's rattled loose.. You should be able to find a wiring diagram at the Yamaha website.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9