on the instructions with my sm57 it says to use a windscreen for vocals, should i buy one and which one should i get (assuming theres a few different ones).
Also i have read on these forums something about a pop filter, is it necessary for me to buy one of these as well.
I wasn't aware that you could buy windscreens for '57s.

A pop filter alone will be enough, almost any recording shop/website will sell them. No need to get a deluxe one, they're all more or less the same.

Where are you based?
Wire hanger and pantyhose....works like a charm if you're on a tight budget. But ya, you can do what Brian suggested to though =P
Wow, who'd have thought it.

That would possibly be better, although I don't know if it could control plosives as effectively.
I don't think it's necessary if you can work a mic. Just don't swallow it while you sing and it'll be ok.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
That is quite excessive for a windshield, but there you go.

You pay for the name and the assurance that it'll fit the model 57 like a glove.
I don't think it's necessary if you can work a mic. Just don't swallow it while you sing and it'll be ok.

i just received an email saying i had to spend over 20 odd euro before i could buy something so the order was cancelled.
i dont think ill bother then providing i wont damage my mic by singing through it, it wont damage it will it? (i am not planning on eating it)
No it won't damage it.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic