ive been playing for about a year....never had a lesson....but on my own ive learned some scales and arpeggios...sweep picking, alternate pciking....classical guitar with finger picking and strumming palm muting...how to make chord progressions all the major minor and 7th barre chord shapes....whats next what else can i learn...like i know theres a million scales and chords...but i mean that i should learn...like what could i do to make myself better?
Learn some actual songs.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
i know a ton of songs ranging from classical gas to master of puppets....acoustic songs, punk songs, metal songs, even some blues....
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.
Start/join a band and write some of your own stuff. Learn some harder songs and new techniques.
Guitar isn't a journey from A to B, its an adventure. There is no end, only an infinty of new things to discover.
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
u really think im good enough to play inna band :-s....and what do u think i should play....lead rythm acoustic....i improvise with my friend alot...yaknow like picking a scale then makin a chord progression from it...but like im no jimmy paige....and if i am gonna join a band...what should i practise alot of?
I hate to be one of those smart asses that answer a question with a question, but anyway.

Why did you learn to play guitar in the first place?

Once you have answered that it will point you in the direction you need to go.

If it's to play cover songs, then learn some songs.

If it's to play in a band, then study the style of music you want to play.

If it's composing your own music, then start learning music theory.
lol ya but what are the chances that all of a sudden a random metallica cover band needs a new james hetfeild lol....and besides that ive only been playin for a year....i cant even shred yet....like i can in solos i learned...but i unno how to make that **** up on my own:S
Just mess around with some different scales, find some you like, find what key you like them best in, put a chord progression underneath it and mess around with them.
Add!

Quote by marko'd

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
seriously i started to get more chicks lmao...then i got addicted...its like crack....my gf gives me **** all the time cause i pay more attention to the guitar lmao....seriously i unno what im in it for n e more...i jus love music....i love listening to it and i love making it....i jus wanna be good enough to jus sit there and shred without an end....lol but im not that good yet
Oh, well that's easy then. LOL

Buy this book and start working through the exercises.
http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Mechanics-Lead-Guitar-Stetina/dp/0793509629/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204141258&sr=8-3

Buy this computer program and use the training options for the songs you want to learn.
http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

And of course do a search for threads here at UG about learning to shred, most deal with learning different scales and modes.
If you have the money to take some lessons, u should. A good teacher could teach you loads of new stuff

But if not, write some songs, join a band, play some shows
thats why im here lol ....all u UG people are my teachers you guys rock....**** i didnt know half the **** i do until i came here....but i really dont think im ready for a band....maybe like rythm...but like i said ive only been playing for like a year....i jus wanted to know what i should werk on ands if theres n e thin i should really know?