I've recently taken a liking to use the power amp in from my effects loop as my guitar input. It's INCREDIBLY touch sensitive as opposed to the usual guitar input, probably because it goes straight to my 6L6's and bypassed the whole EQ, but i can still adjust the reverb and presence. So warm and bassy, i LOVE it .
i recommend to everyone with effects loop to try it out.
Don't expect OD from the power tubes though, i tried it with my guitar volume on 10 and hitting the strings hard... still clean as butt.
a booster infront of it might help saturate them but i think it would give an incredible volume boost aswell because it's much more sensitive than the normal input.

I'm also pretty positive it's perfectly safe to do it

I see threads with a tip like this sometimes so i thought: hey, why not let every know about my 'trick' too !

Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 26, 2008,
am i crazy for thinking to plug into an AB box with one out to the input, and one to the FX in?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
am i crazy for thinking to plug into an AB box with one out to the input, and one to the FX in?

You're not alone.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

hell no, but i don't think the FX in will give you enough volume in a band situation.
Quote by The red Strat.
hell no, but i don't think the FX in will give you enough volume in a band situation.

Plug a preamp in it! I have my Mesa/Boogie Studio preamp in my effects loop now. It's hella loud.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Plug a preamp in it! I have my Mesa/Boogie Studio preamp in my effects loop now. It's hella loud.

that's possible of course, but it kinda beats the whole 'straight into the power amp' thingy
Quote by The red Strat.
that's possible of course, but it kinda beats the whole 'straight into the power amp' thingy

I suppose so!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

I think that having something plugged in to the effects return but not the send bypasses the preamp, but that would be really cool if it worked.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Quote by rageandlove04
I think that having something plugged in to the effects return but not the send bypasses the preamp, but that would be really cool if it worked.

that's basically what my whole post was about
^Yay me for being unclear

I was responding to the post I quoted about the AB box...I don't think you can toggle between the FX return and the regular input without unplugging the return.
Quote by rageandlove04
^Yay me for being unclear

I was responding to the post I quoted about the AB box...I don't think you can toggle between the FX return and the regular input without unplugging the return.

i don"t see why not.
Just be careful what amp you are using. Amps like mesa boogie have a powered effects loop. Essentially a 12ax7 powering that loop.Wrong input see ya effects loop.
Quote by The red Strat.
i don"t see why not.

I don't really remember but I think any time I've been plugged into the input of my amp and plugged something into the return but not the send the signal was cut completely. Maybe I'm completely wrong and/or maybe it varies by amp.

Anyway, no point in arguing, I'll definitely try your trick out later
Quote by rageandlove04
I don't really remember but I think any time I've been plugged into the input of my amp and plugged something into the return but not the send the signal was cut completely. Maybe I'm completely wrong and/or maybe it varies by amp.

Anyway, no point in arguing, I'll definitely try your trick out later

i'm not sure either because i haven't tried using both inputs at the same time, but i think it depends on the amp if it will work or not.

Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
i'm not sure either because i haven't tried using both inputs at the same time, but i think it depends on the amp if it will work or not.

Generally, you can plug the pre out of an amp into another amp, and still have it play through the power amp of the first, but you can't plug into the power amp with your guitar without breaking the circuit.

however, I think it depends if it is in parallel or series.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Generally, you can plug the pre out of an amp into another amp, and still have it play through the power amp of the first, but you can't plug into the power amp with your guitar without breaking the circuit.

however, I think it depends if it is in parallel or series.

ahh yeah.
I tried it out last night and it sounded really cool. I also confirmed that on my Classic 30, the nothing will pass through the preamp section when something is plugged into the effects return.
Quote by rageandlove04
I tried it out last night and it sounded really cool. I also confirmed that on my Classic 30, the nothing will pass through the preamp section when something is plugged into the effects return.

i guess that makes your FX loop... parallel

i think that's parallel then, don't quote me on that though

EDIT: crap, i think that's series then.
d'oh...
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 27, 2008,
anybody know if that's series or parallel ? ^

it's killing me ! i'm pretty postive it's series now though...
Well, whatever it is, it's the opposite of what a Laney VC15 is, and i think the VCs are parallel, that makes the classic 30 series...
Yea I've done this. When I used my shitty Marshall G-series amp I took to going straight from my GT-8 into the effects return. It was a good plan.
im waiting for my new TVA masters30 amp to arrive. here's it's description of its fx loop...

Effects Send/Return Plus!
The Effects Send can be used as a Preamp Out or Direct Out without breaking the signal flow through the amp. Plugging into the Effects Return jack breaks the signal flow through the amp and can be used as a Power Amp In. The Return has a level control for matching effects levels or setting power amp input levels. The Effect Level Control is not active until a mono ¼" plug is inserted into the Effects Return Jack. You can even use the Effects Loop to make the TVA30 into a Master Volume amp!

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I am SO gunna try that with my classic 50 tonight, sounds like a great idea.
I got some great results with my FX Loop.

Plugging straight into the input of my Laney through the clean channel, with my EQ + OD in the FX loop, Effects Level on Max, set to sculpt a bit of tone and boost a load of volume, by turning the clean down and using an attenuator you start to OD the Splitter and Power Tubes without distorting the preamp stages. Genius. The tone is great.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by jj1565
im waiting for my new TVA masters30 amp to arrive. here's it's description of its fx loop...

Effects Send/Return Plus!
The Effects Send can be used as a Preamp Out or Direct Out without breaking the signal flow through the amp. Plugging into the Effects Return jack breaks the signal flow through the amp and can be used as a Power Amp In. The Return has a level control for matching effects levels or setting power amp input levels. The Effect Level Control is not active until a mono ¼" plug is inserted into the Effects Return Jack. You can even use the Effects Loop to make the TVA30 into a Master Volume amp!

it does that on the fender fm212, but not on my jcm though. depends on the amp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
that's because everyone knows that FM212s pwn JCMs.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011