why are all the guitar scales and such weird ass names like dorian and lychorian or w/e...like where did all this stuff come from...and how can i tell the difference....also whats a legato?
Legato is playing smoothly with very little picking or none at all.

The wierd names just come from people who invented them PROBABLY.
OK. From now on, we shall refer to modes as Mode A, B, C.

Legato will be called 'Look, one hand!'

They were named after Greek islands.
well they are in order like ionian dorian phrydian

and yes they come from greek terms
thts a memroy thing to :I Do F(ph)ollow Lonely Men And Laugh

legat is playing without pick just using you left hand(presuming you right handed)

Legato
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Most of the scales come from Greek(haha) or Latin names. And Legato is playing with alot of sliding, hammer-ons, pull-offs and left-handed tapping. Makes your playing sound smoother.
lmao i was jus thinking that ....i actually had no idea...then whats the differences between them?...and where do exotic scales come from?
the title of this thread made me LOL after reading the TS's post. Greek words are greek to me...

But seriously, modes are like this: it's the scale moved up to start on a different note. it works something like this:
C major (also called C Ionian): CDEFGABC
D Dorian: DEFGABCD
E Phrygian: EFGABCDE
F Lydian: FGABCDEF
G Myxolydian: GABCDEFG
A Aeolian (also called A minor I think): ABCDEFGA
B Locrian: BCDEFGAB

All modes are are the same scale with the same exact notes, just starting on a different note, each with the name of a greek tribe.

How to tell the difference: Each mode will sound different than the next, as well as having a different set of chords.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 26, 2008,
Legato is the proper name for any technique like tapping, hammer-ons, slides etc.
As for 'exotic' scales, they're just scales associated with music in certain cultures. Like the Harmonic minor scale has a sort of oriental sound associated with it, but if you play it slowly, you'll hear the intervals that make it sound like that.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Dirk Gently
The mode names are actually different Greek tribes.

see i thought it was something like that and i bet wherw these tribes lived there villages are more than likely named similiar right?
song stuck in my head today

Quote by Ichimaru
Like the Harmonic minor scale has a sort of oriental sound associated with it, but if you play it slowly, you'll hear the intervals that make it sound like that.

Actually I think the harmonic minor scale was named as such because it was invented to help with harmonies in minor tonality classical music which is why it finds most favor amongst neo-classical guitarists.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
how do they make scale then and whos to say what sounds good together....so techinically i could make a scale up and call it blayzonian?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually I think the harmonic minor scale was named as such because it was invented to help with harmonies in minor tonality classical music which is why it finds most favor amongst neo-classical guitarists.

I wasn't talking about the name, just the way the scale itself sounds.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
The dynamic, e.g. fortissimo etc. and tempo, e.g. accelerando etc., are Italian. The modes are Greek. Well, based from Greek, I haven't heard a Greek word with -ian at the end. I'll be glad to answer your questions, TS, but you seem too confused; what do you actually want to know?
**** i want to know everything about music lol..im jus learning lil by lil.....im jus wondering who says which notes sound good together in a scale...and why is standard tuning eadgbe also if i change the tuning could i therfore make up my own scale....and if im using an A scale and i wanted to change the key...would it matter which key i went to or would it sound better goin to like an A minor....i have a **** load of questions but i dun wanna overbear
Hm, well let's see. First question: It's basically just been agreed upon. You can read tab right? Then play this:
e---------------------------
B---------------------------
G-------------------2--4--5-
D---------2--3--5-----------
A--3---5--------------------
E---------------------------
That's the C major scale. Try playing it like this

e---------------------------
B---------------------------
G-------------------1--4--5-
D---------2--3--5-----------
A--3---5--------------------
E---------------------------
Doesn't sound right does it? The structure of fret differences(Whole step, Whole, Half, Whole Whole Whole Half, tell me if you don't get it) is the only one that gives off the feel of the major scale - a happy sounding melody, generally speaking. Also, remember that the notes only sound good within a scale relatively to it's root. So an E might sound great with a C but could clash with a D# depending on use.

Second question: I think it's just a matter of intervals, the strings are all perfect 4ths from each other, or perfect 5ths depending on how you wanna look at it.

Third question...well, proposal lol: Scales don't depend on tuning. Even if you put the guitar in open D, you could still play that same C major on the same octave, you'd just
need to adjust fingering.

I'll answer rest in a bit.
ya but like exotic scales and all these other scales...like who are they to say that thats a scale...whats the difference....plus whats with all the weird ass names for the chords like ive seen chords that have a name like 3 miles long...what do all the different slashes and numbers and letters mean and how can i look at the name of the chord and figure out how to play it on the guitar?
Quote by blayzin420
how do they make scale then and whos to say what sounds good together....so techinically i could make a scale up and call it blayzonian?

Yeah sure but chances are it will already have been made up and given a name.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/ go there and start reading.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, most of the scales have already been discovered, even if they do sound crap when played ascending and descending.

Edit: OK last question regarding key changes. In general, you can do it but I'd steer away from it until you know what you're doing. From what I've heard, playing any instrument whilst applying theory to it for about a year should get you the knowledge you need to realise when it's appropriate to change key or even time signatures.

One last key point on theory: Theory is not a set of rules; it's more like a set of recommendations on how to write. Dream Theater and other progressive bands constantly bend the so-called 'rules' of theory and still make good songs. Theory is just a way of better understanding music. Check the beginner lessons or, if you really wanna know lots about theory read through this series: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_i.html
Last edited by Wratheh at Feb 27, 2008,