Um I practice regularly at least 2 hours a day and stuff and was wondering about how long should one see noticeable improvement? Im wondering this cuz if Im not improving after a certain amount of time Ill re evaluate my practicing.
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
What standard are you at now and what standard are you hoping to get to?

Different people do improve at different rates, yes of course better practice regimes will speed up your improvement, but if you are comparing yourself with others on here (many who blatantly exaggerate their abilities/time played) then you may become disheartened
Quote by chippythingy
Ubertron, i think youur sig proves your point nicely, well done.

Let's just hope he doesn't know JP!
A7XS oad
Quote by a7xsoad
Let's just hope he doesn't know JP!

and hope even harder he isnt JP, that would just be scary
Well im into shredding and stuff, but i was just wondering how long til i will notice an improvement and be like, "I'm really getting better!"
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
the only way ive seen that im gettin better is to record myself playin every so often cos then u can really see how bad im doin and makes me try harder lol!
Quote by bsoates
Well im into shredding and stuff, but i was just wondering how long til i will notice an improvement and be like, "I'm really getting better!"

Seriously: don't worry about how long it takes, you'll only get bored of seeing no progress in a short time and you'll get disheartened and stop playing. Practice for enjoyment, not because you have to get to that next landmark speed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
When I started I developed really slowly. It took me a year to learn the Major scale.

However, nowadays I think I'm getting there. I still can't do F so reliably but I can do Fmaj7 and F2, which, though not the same chords, have a similar feel to them and the same root.

Some people are good at different things but have difficulty picking up others. It took me a long time to learn to solo but after a month my appregios were putting my girlfriend to sleep. Just see what you're good at and work hard on what you're not until you are.

There's no real way to measure progress unless you're so good people drool over you or so bad people spit on you.
Quote by chippythingy
and hope even harder he isnt JP, that would just be scary

whose JP and what are his exercises? How are they intended to improve your skill?
play to enjoy it...... then you will improve, and a rate that suits you and your life style / situation.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Redundecency
whose JP and what are his exercises? How are they intended to improve your skill?

John Petrucci's psycho exercises don't really exist, there are videos on youtube of clips from his 'Rock Discipline' video with other speech and sped up playing over the top for comedic effect. Rock Discipline itself however contains many good exercises for developing picking in all forms.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well I always hear you reach a point when you can't notice skill increase period, so I agree with recording yourself.