I just saw a used Peavey XXX for like $700 and am trying to decide whether to get it or not. I play mostly metal and play a lot of lead stuff so I want something that screams. I was looking at Randall mainly because since its a good solid state, the distortion is nice and clean. But now I don't know because I've heard the XXX is really good for different kinds of metal but I'm worried about having to get an overdrive pedal to touch up the distortion a bit. They both sound good. Any body have any experience with playing either of these that would like to state their opinion.

By the way I play with a Ibanez RG

Thanx in advance
How's your hearing? I kid.

The XXX has copious amounts of distortion and it's quite versatile. You could use an OD to tighten it up a bit. The EQ is a bit touchy though. I'd go for it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My buddy has one and he loves it. I have heard him play through it and it sounds sweeet. I want to go over there and play it...Definitely go for it at that price.

But for sure, the OD would be helpful to tighten it up.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Erg ya thats what I thought and had trouble deciding on that or a Randall which doesn't need an OD pedal because it's already tight.
How good can you hear?

LOL! PUN!

But yeah, my friend has just bought one and says it's great.

EDIT:

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How's your hearing? I kid.

Damn you, Hatebreeder!

Always a step ahead of me.....

Just kidding.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by ltmusicman
Erg ya thats what I thought and had trouble deciding on that or a Randall which doesn't need an OD pedal because it's already tight.

Yeah, but most randalls are ****
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
I have an XXX. I love it to death. I sometimes use an OD pedal over it to tighten things up as said, give it a little more bite IMO, but you need a noise gate with this thing, it feeds back like a mother****er. If you want, check my sig for my youtube account, where all the videos of me playing guitar are with my XXX.
Quote by ltmusicman
Has anybody else played randall and have an idea how they compare?

Well having owned the Randall for a good chunk of time, I can tell you right now that the Triple XXX completely smokes it in everything.

Quote by dudetheman
How good can you hear?

Damn you, Hatebreeder!

Always a step ahead of me.....

Just kidding.

Sorry! I just couldn't let him get away with that one! It was like a woman wearing a mini-skirt. Asking for it!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by ltmusicman
Those harmonics are crazy. But that might just be due to the fact that he's really good.

Pinch harmonics like that are in your technique, not the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
satch used the XXX setup for a while.

-I have a XXX 412 and it was my favorite buy out of all of my guitars amps ect.
-damn good for the money!
alright I think I will get it. That is if somebody else already hasn't got it. I've never played with a tube amp so I'm anxious to try it out. It will be quite the upgrade considering right now I am borrowing a friends Marshall MG lol
hey if ur still looking to buy a peavey xxx then im selling my xxx 212 120 watt combo for 600. If ur interested i can include a zakk wylde overdrive for another 50.
Hmmm... It's a combo amp right? I'm actually kind of against combo amps right now but idk considering it's 120W. Im going in tomorrow to see if they still have it so I will message you if i plan to or not.
o ok if your worried about it being loud enough rest assured it's rediculisly loud. I've never had it past 4.
I own this amp and I will agree with the others that say the EQ is very very touchy. I am still trying to find my tone. But the amp is amazing... Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard people say that this is very close to a Mesa Dual Rec...

Notice I said "close".
yea ive heard the same and i agree.
Also yeah the eq is extremely touchy which also gives it alot of versatility.
the XXX is a decent amp. very heavy, saturated tone. and $700 for a 3-channel amp? why not?

i'd probably offer 575 or 600, but that's just because they go for about $1200 new, and peavey's don't retain their value at all. i mean their "holy grail" amp (5150) goes for like 800 used.
Ya I was either looking at that or the Randall V2 but i think that's a bit out of my price range and from what you guys have said the xxx should do just fine.