how do these amps compare? i have a 6505 and im kinda wanting something tighter. more clarity. more low end punch. ya know.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
I mean...mesa boogie rectifiers have proven they are great amps. i dont think thats an arguable fact, it really just depends on if thats the sound you want. you should probably just go jam on one for a while. its what i always do when buying a new amp.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
i don't know if it's just me or not but it sounds to me like rectifiers have more bottom end to them. I love the deep punchy sound you get from palm mutes on a rectifier. 5150s and 6506s are great amps but sound a little thin to me compared to the rectifier, but it's all in personal taste i guess.
How about you try an overdrive (Tubescreamer of sorts, Bad Monkey maybe?) or an EQ pedal first? If you like the amp otherwise, if you can fix it with a pedal it's all good.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
im not a fan of rectos whenever ive tried them

sound too much like a hairdryer

check out engl amps. theyre boutique quality for cheap(er)
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
The 6505 is much tighter and more low end than the Rectifier.

Does your OD-9 not tighten up your sound?
Quote by False_God
The 6505 is much tighter and more low end than the Rectifier.

Does your OD-9 not tighten up your sound?

??? IMO, it's the exact opposite.
well, upon playing both with a Emg equped Jackson the Peavey seemed to be a much tighter amp opposed to the some what sloppyness* of the Recto. *sloppy compared to the 6505. What I think anyway.
Quote by False_God
well, upon playing both with a Emg equped Jackson the Peavey seemed to be a much tighter amp opposed to the some what sloppyness* of the Recto. *sloppy compared to the 6505. What I think anyway.

this is EXACTLY why the original question can never be answered by anyone but the person asking the question. Tone is relative to one's personal tastes.
Tone is subjective, clarity/lowend punch are not.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
^Pretty much.
The recto has a flabby, loose low end. Your 6505 is MUCH tighter.
Try to tighten it up a bit with an OD or sculpt your tone a bit more with an EQ
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
EQ it how? And when i have my od in, it gets lots and lots of..sound.

Like it sounds like my gain is turned way way up. The airy sound. How do i get rid of that?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by TehFluffy
EQ it how? And when i have my od in, it gets lots and lots of..sound.

Like it sounds like my gain is turned way way up. The airy sound. How do i get rid of that?

noise gate will do that.

actually... i just re-read your gear list, and your noise suppressor should do that.
Something like an ISP Decimator will help with the noise.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
should i put the od before the gate then?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
I'd stick with the 6505.
wouldn't waste the money you have on a mesa. try buying some new valves for 6505 if the bass isn't tight enough, could even buy some mesa valves, save money and still have the high gain sweetness of the 6505. what do you have your settings at?
this is the same question i find myself in right now.
i play guitar in a band that is about to start touring.
i've been thinking about the 6505 plus head through a mesa 4x12

anyone with experience with that wanna tell me if i'd be making a good choice?
Quote by wintermadness
I'd stick with the 6505.
wouldn't waste the money you have on a mesa. try buying some new valves for 6505 if the bass isn't tight enough, could even buy some mesa valves, save money and still have the high gain sweetness of the 6505. what do you have your settings at?

I just put new JJs in it, i got the high gain kt 88 set.

As far as setting, pregain at 3.5, bass at 6.5, mids at 7.5, highs at 6, resonance at 6.5, presence at 0.

Also, my presence knob doesnt really do anything at all until it gets till like...9 then the change it makes is ridiculous. Is this right?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by Ethan - Astrada
this is the same question i find myself in right now.
i play guitar in a band that is about to start touring.
i've been thinking about the 6505 plus head through a mesa 4x12

anyone with experience with that wanna tell me if i'd be making a good choice?

If you go Mesa, get a traditional cab, not a recto one, recto cabs seem to be a fair bit muddier than the traditional cabs
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
id recommend introducing a bbe 482i sonic maximizer to your set up, they beef up the sound something savage. essential. should look into that. and also thats the same as the presence control on my 5150 i thought it might be something to do with vavles???

pretty much the same settings i use on the 5150 except i tap into the presence just slightly.
Quote by wintermadness
id recommend introducing a bbe 482i sonic maximizer to your set up, they beef up the sound something savage. essential. should look into that. and also thats the same as the presence control on my 5150 i thought it might be something to do with vavles???

pretty much the same settings i use on the 5150 except i tap into the presence just slightly.

The other guitar player in my band has one..maybe i will try his out.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
i agree with wintermadness, get a bbe 482i sonic maximizer, or a MXR 10 band eq. using those two items on a 6505 will do you wonders.

and i've always liked 5150/6505s better than mesas, but then again that is all personal preference (my favorite band it van halen so...)
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by TehFluffy
I just put new JJs in it, i got the high gain kt 88 set.

As far as setting, pregain at 3.5, bass at 6.5, mids at 7.5, highs at 6, resonance at 6.5, presence at 0.

Also, my presence knob doesnt really do anything at all until it gets till like...9 then the change it makes is ridiculous. Is this right?

My SLO has the same weird thing with the presence control (the 6505 is somewhat modeled after the SLO anyway). I asked Soldano about this, & they said it's normal for my amp. I just have to set the presence in micro-fine increments to get the sound I want. If I set the presence down low on my amp, it loses some tightness, too.
The presence control is key for keeping the sound tight.

Edit: FWIW, I also like the Mesa sound, but it seems looser overall to me than a 6505.
That's why I chose an SLO instead of a Dual Recto.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
??? IMO, it's the exact opposite.

IMO you're opinion is definatly wrong.

Recto's have a very strong treble and midrange. Recto's are far from tight, and the low end that they have comes from Mesa's nice cabs.

A recto + tubescreamer might be tighter than a 6505 alone. There is a 6505 at a music store I go to weekly for lessons, I always warm up on it. If you crank the resonance knob to 12:00-3:00 it gets extremely bassy, much thicker than a recto.

It's all about the tone you want. If you don't like the searing 6505 gain, and want a chunkier gain, check out the rectos.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
a bad monkey man.... also the low end isn't going to be like it is with a bass player... or in a recording. listen to some 6505's in recordings KILLER low end... but up front its different as with all amps. You need a bass player man and it'll really make your guitar tone come out.
Quote by paranormal5150
a bad monkey man.... also the low end isn't going to be like it is with a bass player... or in a recording. listen to some 6505's in recordings KILLER low end... but up front its different as with all amps. You need a bass player man and it'll really make your guitar tone come out.

Got one.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
its a different sound the 5150 is used extensively by the likes of machinehead, carcass, btbam, sikth, and to get an idea of a recto check out nickelback..awful band but they have decent guitar tones

i have a v3 and a 5150 so the best of both worlds