So I just crunched the numbers on building my very own dream axe from bare wood. Well all except the neck, that would be the neck-thru version you can get on stewmac.com and the pickups would be dimarzio.

I've been customizing for a few years, doing refinishing of bolt necks and complete wiring jobs for people. But I never cut out a body so that part will be new. I'm not sure what shape I would make it, something custom probably.

For the body blank, a curly maple top, neck thru, all of the pots, wires, switch, a black ice, routing jigs, routing bits, control cover, back cover, grover tuners, original floyd rose trem and a dimarzio d sonic bridge and a Joe Neck pick up (and all screws and jacks and other stuff, trust me every damn part of the axe even the damn finish!)
the figure came out to $942.86

Now, does any one think I can find an axe that is neck thru, has an original floyd (thats a big thing) and comparable pickups for less? Or should I just say f it and go for it?

Your thoughts?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Go for it. It's risky to spend 1000$ on parts for your first guitar as it might not turn out good, but it should be okay.
Build the mother****er because even if you mess something up, you'll still have most of the parts and will be able to redo this stuff. Odds are if you're going to spend $1000 on parts, you could afford to replace something if you completely **** it up.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
You might get the top of the range ibanez in the US for that money

RGT320Z, or RGT220Z

But the pickups arnt quite up to what you said.

That said,

you should do a first build, hammer out any kinks, and then really go for building your dream, you'll be much more satisfied I imagine.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
completely screwing up isn't something to be worried about, you could always start over and use the same parts (or if you don't think you can do it you can sell the parts). Coming out with something that is average/below average, however, is something to be worried about. If you spend 1000$ on parts your most likely not looking to make a guitar thats worth less than 1000$.

Quote by Absent Mind

you should do a first build, hammer out any kinks, and then really go for building your dream, you'll be much more satisfied I imagine.

I agree with this.