Page 1 of 3
I'm going to paint my rg321 with a swirl. I bought all of the supplies today, and will hopefully begin sanding and priming tonight. I will try to take lots of pictures, and update this thread with my progress. I always find it helpful when someone is very detailed, and show exactly what they're doing, so i'm going to try and make this a well documented project. That being said, I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing, but i've read tons of threads on here, and elsewhere, and really want to give this a go. So I will begin tonight, and take lots of pics! Hopefully other noobs can learn from my mistakes
Have you rad the PG tut?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by XibanezedgeX

What exactly went on there? I assume this was done in water, with oil-based green and black paint so they wouldn't mix? That's really neat.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Neat. I might have to try that.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Yep that's exactly what's going on there. I have seen that vid as well as the tutorial on PG. My colors are going to be black, green, and white. I've never done this before so i'm going to play around with the colors tonight, and try dipping some random pieces of wood i have at my house, and see what happens.

Here is the color scheme i'm going for:

(this was originally a different color, but i photoshopped it green that's why everything has a green tint)

So i'm going to play around with my colors, and see if i can come up with something similar to that. I'm curious to see how think / thin the paint goes on to something using the swirl method. But like i said i'm planning on testing a little tonight to get a better idea of how it's going to work.
That color scheme is pretty bad ass. I like swirls.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
swirls are awesome, I've already considered make it too, but i don't know what paints to use... where did you get that "oil paints"? and the borax?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
you can get borax at walmart, and I found some oil paints at hobby lobby. I don't know how well they're going to work though, so i'm going to test, and try to find some different paints, and see what works best. I'll let yall know when i've had a chance to test, and see how it works.
Wow, this is going to become a sick thread. I can wait to see the finished product
Hello
"Test test test!" says the PG tutorial, and i will quote it in saying: "Test test test!" because you will fail when you first try this... atleast i did I think it was because of the paint i used. It doesn't react like the paint in the swirl vid. Here's a pic of what i did get it to do...

The red almost worked, but not really... the white paint (as you can see) didn't work at all really... i mean it's almost a cool effect, but not at all what i want.) The red just didn't spread very well, and when it did, it thinned out way too much. So again i think it was the type of paint i used. I'll try and find some more paint tomorrow to test with, and make sure to report the brand here so that yall will know what paint does and doesn't work.

I think i'm going to keep looking for paint until i find the stuff in the little metal can like in that vid. I'll give an update tomorrow after i find some more paint!
Quote by vizun
you can get borax at walmart, and I found some oil paints at hobby lobby. I don't know how well they're going to work though, so i'm going to test, and try to find some different paints, and see what works best. I'll let yall know when i've had a chance to test, and see how it works.

thanks.

And that red isn't bad at all!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
The stuff in the lil metal cans is moddelling paint, humbrol enamel or something.

Make sure you test over the base coat your guitar will be, e.g if your doing it green, get the same green paint and prime a scrap peice of wood with it to make sure the colours will work over that exact base coat.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I think that looks pretty cool. Im trying to do the same thing on my JEM and i decided to go with a spray paint that i will spray into a container, then empty onto the water. The paint that i picked out was from Plastikote. Hope this works well, ill be looking forward to the resulting body.
^Yeah, I vastly prefer that result to the bouncy-ball finishes most people try to make with swirls.
Quote by XibanezedgeX

Thats an awesome technique.

I like the black and red too. But if green is what you are going for then do it!
Can't wait to see the final result.

I know oil paints take a hell of a long time to dry. Does the Borax aid the drying time, or is the laquer applied while the oil paint is still a bit sticky?
Derp.
the black/red looks really good. The white (or gray i should say) looks kind of crap.

i like green better than red

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
More tests! And i'll say again test test test! So the type of paint matters A LOT. At least the consistency of it. Here's another image of another test... I'm getting a little closer.

So i'm going to keep trying AND Hopefully tomorrow i will start sanding my guitar!
A white/grey/red swirl would look beastly
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
You have definately improved your technique! Keep it up.
Derp.
Quote by .Will.
I know oil paints take a hell of a long time to dry. Does the Borax aid the drying time, or is the laquer applied while the oil paint is still a bit sticky?
Borax breakes up the water, so that the paint can swirl on the surface to produce the pattern when you dip, and no I would wait for the paint to be dry before putting clear on it.

and Vizun

would you mind doing a pic tut on this when you have perfected it, paying particular attention the types of paints, and quanities of everything used etc? I would REALLY appreciate another source of info for this type of paint job!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Absent Mind, definitely man. I'm taking lots of pictures, and once I get this figured out I plan on doing a detailed tutorial explaining everything I did.
.Will., like Absent Mind said I would wait until the oil paint is dry before you apply your clear coat. When doing it like this only a thin layer of paint is getting on the guitar, so it doesn't take all that long to dry. Plus you're going to want to help it dry (using a fan or something) in order to get all the water off as quickly as possible.
^ cheers man that will be awesome!!

plus adding lacquer to undry oil paint may cause the swirl to run and blend, thus ruining what you have just achieved.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by vizun
.Will., like Absent Mind said I would wait until the oil paint is dry before you apply your clear coat. When doing it like this only a thin layer of paint is getting on the guitar, so it doesn't take all that long to dry. Plus you're going to want to help it dry (using a fan or something) in order to get all the water off as quickly as possible.

ive heard a hair dryer would work to get the water off. is that true?
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
I will try drying it with a blow dryer on my next test. I think that would work just fine, although someone who knows something about paint might shed some light on it? I think as long as you're not blowing hot air onto it, it should work just fine?
yea, with the cold setting, i ment.

buit, please do let me know. im considering painting a guitar with the swirl, so, a tutorial would be lovely on technique. thanks!
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Definitely, i can tell you right now the toughest part about doing a swirl (using this method) is finding the right paint with the right consistency, using the right amount of paint, and... test test test. It just takes a lot of testing in order to get everything right. So hopefully when i'm done you guys can learn from my mistakes
I think its funny that people say that Borax "breaks up" the water. Im not starting anything, even i have said that "Borax breaks up the water tension". But now i think that it helpes the water tension and that in turn keeps the hydrogen bonds on the surface in tact so the paint floats easier. I also believe that might be why oil paint is easier to use. Since it is an oil, it will float on water easier than lacquer. Acrylics are water bases, so thats out of the question.

I have no idea why i wrote this, just bored i guess.

...i like the colors.....day iz pretty
^ yeah your probably right, its just one of those things like americans say 'im going to xerox this bit of paper' when they should be saying I'm going to photocopy this bit of paper, because xerox is the company name that make photocopiers.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
^ yeah your probably right, its just one of those things like americans say 'im going to xerox this bit of paper' when they should be saying I'm going to photocopy this bit of paper, because xerox is the company name that make photocopiers.

Exactly! You know us foolish Americans so well.

I have a joke, that the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia because if it was invented anywhere else, it would have been called the teeth brush.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Exactly! You know us foolish Americans so well.

I have a joke, that the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia because if it was invented anywhere else, it would have been called the teeth brush.

that is probably one of the best anti-west virginian jokes ive heard. +1 to you!
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
That's awesome, swirls look so good. I'd go with a blue and black, but that's just me, green looks sweet as well
Gear:
Cort AD-850 NS
MIM Strat
Cube 30x
I apologize for doing test after test, and posting the pics of them, but i found a "Fluorescent Orange" and I wanted to test it out. AND I only started sanding my guitar today, so i've got plenty of time to continue testing, and trying out colors. So anyhow, here are some pics.

This orange one looks a little brighter than it actually is (probably because of the flash) But it did turn out fairly well:

I started Sanding... hooray... so much fun

I started sanding the back, and thought... why not do a worn out burst?
Quote by abyssspecter
that is probably one of the best anti-west virginian jokes ive heard. +1 to you!

God bless, and you're from NC? +1 to you my friend, i love it there.

The swirl looks bad-ass. Dude.....you're a pro. I might even send my body to you to do it. How deep and wide is the container you are using? Maybe you could snap me a pic and send it to me.
Page 1 of 3