Hey quick quesiton. I know there must be a lot of questions on power chords, but my specific quesiton is this. I decided I want to learn some pentatonic scales. I recently wrote my own song which is in the key of F (Power chord) with Drop Db tuning.

If I wanted to try out some soloing would I learn F Minor Pentatonic? Or F Major? I hear Minor has more emotion and blues style to it. A power chord isn't minor thats for sure.. but do the minor scales work over power chords? I've been playing a year a half and have always been intimitated by the complexity of music theory but I decided I'd rather play rhythym anyway (lol..lazy way out) but I would still like to know some scales though. What do you reccommend? I know two box patterns of the G minor lol... already. lol..I still remember them after looking at them briefly last year..so I guess it isn't terribly difficult remembering them. Oh one last thing I was curious out. The guy in Slipknot who drop their guitar all the way to B (I think the tuning is B Gb B E Ab Db.) How on earth do they know which scales to play if there tuning is so different from standard? Would they need to move everything depending on what they have tuned to?
it doesnt matter what u play power chords over as they do not have a flatted or sharped third, which determines if a key is major or minor, so it doesnt really matter.

i personally prefer minor pentatonic because of the blues feel and the sense of melancholy.
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
I can't really give you an answer if you say that the song is in the key of F power chord. Power chords aren't minor, but they aren't major either. They lack the third scale degree which is what makes a chord sound major or minor. And the minor pentatonic scale dosen't have more 'emotion'. That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. First , figure out whether your song is in a major key or a minor key, and then we'll talk.

edit: actually, if your song is just an F power chord, you could use either a minor or major scale and it would work.

edit vol. two: Even though the Slipknot dude is tuned down to Drop B, the other strings are all tuned in the same intervals in relation to that low B that they would be if it was regular drop D. For example, the low B is a fifth below the Gb, and in regular drop D the D is a fifth below A.
Last edited by Slash 602 at Feb 26, 2008,
ok thanks.. the emotion thing i dunno i read it somewhere.. thanks for clearing that up. OK.. so from what your saying... how can a song be in the key of anything? If all that is used is power chords? (like a lot of rock songs only user power chords) From what I understood the Key of a song is sort of a starting chord and the one you use often in a song. Seing as how power chords are neither major or minor.. then either minor or major scales can be used over them right? ok.. I think I got that part. Thanks
Well, while power chords lack any key on their own, when you play them together in a logical diatonic progression (as in all of the chords belong to the same scale), the song's key (minor or major) is implied, and the individual power chords function as major or minor chords. For example, if you had a chord progression that went F5-A5- Bb5- G5, even though none of those chords have any definite key on their own, F, A, Bb, and G are all notes in an F major scale. In the F major scale, the F is the first degree, or root, the A is the third degree, the Bb is the fourth degree, and the G is the second degree. In a diatonic chord progression, each scale degree has either a minor or major chord associated with it. The first degree of the major scale is always major, while the third degree is always minor, and the fourth and second degrees are always major and minor, respectively. So when you play power chords in a diatonic progression, whether a chord is major or minor is implied by it's relation to the root.

This is probably way over your head, lol. Sorry, I'm a bit of a theory nerd.
Quote by tm1776
Hey quick quesiton. I know there must be a lot of questions on power chords, but my specific quesiton is this. I decided I want to learn some pentatonic scales. I recently wrote my own song which is in the key of F (Power chord) with Drop Db tuning.

If I wanted to try out some soloing would I learn F Minor Pentatonic? Or F Major? I hear Minor has more emotion and blues style to it. A power chord isn't minor thats for sure.. but do the minor scales work over power chords? I've been playing a year a half and have always been intimitated by the complexity of music theory but I decided I'd rather play rhythym anyway (lol..lazy way out) but I would still like to know some scales though. What do you reccommend? I know two box patterns of the G minor lol... already. lol..I still remember them after looking at them briefly last year..so I guess it isn't terribly difficult remembering them. Oh one last thing I was curious out. The guy in Slipknot who drop their guitar all the way to B (I think the tuning is B Gb B E Ab Db.) How on earth do they know which scales to play if there tuning is so different from standard? Would they need to move everything depending on what they have tuned to?

[Okay, I just typed up this whole message and the window closed… My GOD. For the second time (this time written in word):]

I’ll start with your last question because it sort of helps explain the rest!

The guy in Slipknot who drop their guitar all the way to B (I think the tuning is B Gb B E Ab Db.) How on earth do they know which scales to play if there tuning is so different from standard? Would they need to move everything depending on what they have tuned to?

Basically, when you tune a guitar and keep the same intervals between the notes of the strings, you only change WHERE on the neck you play stuff, not how you play stuff. What I’m saying is that if you’re playing in standard tuning and play this riff:

E----------------------------
B----------------------------
G----------------------------
D----------------------------
A-------3---5---3-----------
E---1---------------1-------

And you tune ALL the strings a half step down [half a step = one fret’s worth], you’d have to play everything a half step/one fret up:

Eb----------------------------
Bb----------------------------
Gb-------4---6---4-----------
Db---2---------------2--------
Ab----------------------------

So remember:
The amount you tune down = the amount you move your playing up by

This also applies for weird tunings where the intervals between the strings’ notes change, for example in drop D. In drop D, if you start from standard tuning, all you do is lower the low E string a whole step [two frets’ worth]. So, if you were keeping that first riff in standard [tuning], you’d end up with this:

E----------------------------
B----------------------------
G----------------------------
D----------------------------
A-------3---5---3-----------
D---3---------------3-------

Because you tuned the E string down by a whole step, you have to move everything on the E string up a whole step, or, two frets.

If you didn’t get that, PM me

Now, the reason I started with this is so I could just make sure that when you say you played an F power chord in Db tuning, do you mean that your root was on the first fret on the E string or do you mean that you actually played an F power chord?

An F power chord in drop Db (assuming drop Db = Eb Bb Gb Db Ab Db):

Eb-------------
Bb-------------
Gb-------------
Db---4---------
Ab---4---------
Db---4---------

If you did scoot everything up nicely, then good job. If not, rewrite the correct notes of your song!
Crap, my edit post thing isnt working! When I said

Gb-------4---6---4-----------
Db---2---------------2--------
Ab----------------------------

I actually meant

Gb---------------------------
Db----------------------------
Ab-------4---6---4-------------
Eb---2---------------2----------
wow thanks for such a detailed reply u rock!! I played the power chord on the 4th fret :P

and to slash.. lol... thanks for the reply buddy.. but u kinda left me in a state of WTH.. lol.. starting to think I will just leave lead guitar alone and go back to playing barre chords on my acoustic lol.