Page 1 of 2
Wtf is this? My **** was definitely not like that when I handed it over to them. Yesterday I gave them my guitar so they could change the strings. I had to leave it there for a day because he had other guitars to do also. I got it back today. Got home and first thing I noticed was how far off my pickups are from the guitar. So this is a bad thing? Should I go back and complain? Or is this better for the guitar? I wanna know wtf he was doing that he was ****ing around with my pickups for when all I asked him to do was change my strings. Here's a picture

What do i do now?
He might have balanced them for you, play it through the amp, if it sounds harsh then hes done too much, but chances are he's found your pickups sweet spot.
He adjusted your pickups for you, which is something you should have known about already.

You also shouldn't have paid someone to change your strings.

I mean really, it's THE most basic maintenance you can do to a guitar, you should know how to do it.

If you can't, there are tutorials all over the internet. What do you do now? See if you like the tone of the pickups at that height. If you don't, adjust them. If you can't figure out how, then you fail at guitar.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
the blue duck dude's right. i would be too embarrassed to post this on UG, saying that i paid someone to change the strings on my guitar. i taught myself how to change the strings a week after picking up the guitar. learn to do it.

btw, how much did he charge you?....
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
No, dude, seriously, you have to learn how to change your strings. As for the pickups, he probably adjusted them to sit at their optimum height. If they're too high for you, then screw them in, using the small screws either side of the pickup.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Pickups are fine. You want them to be close to the strings so they receive more vibration but at the same time far away so magnetic pull doesn't cut the sustain. The shop found the proper balance for you.
wait...you left to a shop...to change strings?

not cool, mate. The pickup looks alright though
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
My emg is about that far from the string |-|

Don't get other people to tune your guitar, you'll never learn.
If he's happy paying someone else to change the strings then that's his choice. Maybe he's just scared of messing up his beloved guitar. That's understandable
Quote by giantsfanftw
Stfu who cares if i can't change strings. I'm asking about my pickups.

Don;t be an ass. Learn how to change strings. You can't be paying people your whole life to change strings for you.

He just adjusted the pickup height for you, he probably fixed it.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Stop bitching, the guy took pity on you because you're too stupid to even change your own strings and sorted your pickups out for you too...the only thing you should be doing is going back to the shop to say than you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I like how people are treating me like I'm the asshole here. When people are coming in here calling me an idiot for not knowing how to change strings. **** is not even that serious. I'm just asking about my pickups. I'll learn how to change strings later on. People here take this **** so seriously. What's the big ass deal if i payed somebody else to do it?
we're not treating you like an asshole. we're just mentioning that you should change strings yourself instead of paying a shop to do it.

however, we SHOULD treat you like an asshole because you're defeniatly acting like one
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
he probably did a full set up for u, u should be happy

and change your own damn strings, otherwise no one is going to take u seriously
so how much did you pay this guy?
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Flying Afros
the blue duck dude's right.

Sigged.

Seriously, listen to everyone, TS.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I think he fixed them for you. You should REALLY know how to change your own strings.

And how do you learn how to do things or get better at them? By doing it! You will never know how unless you do it.
Quote by giantsfanftw
Stfu who cares if i can't change strings.

A. This is Ultimate-guitar.com.

B. That's like saying "who cares if I can't drive." It's a simple process that becomes extremely easy with practice, and after a few times you should be able to do it often.

It's not that you're retarded/shunned for not changing your strings...but it would save you a whole lot of money in the long run and be more convenient.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
you should be thankful he took the time to not only change the strings, but go above and beyond, and set up your pickups, and probably other things on the guitar as well.

learn to put strings on though, it is very rudimentary, and necessary
I took my guitar to a shop once (coincidentally enough, to get them to fix something I ****ed up whilst trying to change my strings) and they did the same for me. Its all good.
you got soul, or so you say. hey, i say you don't!

Quote by Sol9989
It looks to me like he just changed you pickup height. Its not that
big of a deal. I also can't believe you don't know how to change strings!

I would understand if you had a Floyd-Rose, but even then, its still yells
" I'M A NOOB" along with the rest of the thread. Learn to do general guitar maintenance or you could end up paying $100 for something that only
costs pocket change to fix.
1. the guy fixed up ur pickup height.

2. learn how to change strings, its piss easy, the more u do it the easier it gets.

3. dont tell people to stfu when they're trying to help.

4. u deserve to be treated like an asshole because you're being one.

now grow up
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
1. the guy fixed up ur pickup height.

2. learn how to change strings, its piss easy, the more u do it the easier it gets.

3. dont tell people to stfu when they're trying to help.

4. u deserve to be treated like an asshole because you're being one.

now grow up

ftw
I probably taught myself how to do full setups before I even learned any full songs. IMO if you can't maintain and adjust your own guitar, you aren't really a guitarist. You're someone that owns a guitar.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I also learned how to change my strings within the first week of getting my guitar. However, I did make a mistake. I took all the strings off at once!

After hearing my bridge and tail piece hit the floor my face was pretty much like . After that one mistake I learned how to do the setup correctly and have been doing so for years. It takes all of a few minutes and it only costs the price of your strings.

Floyd Roses are a bit more tricky, but there's a great tutorial stickied in this forum for those.
I love changing my strings, it gives me a reason to give the whole guitar a good clean and see if anything needs setting up again

It's great once I finish and the fretboard is like new again and the strings have that new feel to them.
Quote by Thebiz

A. This is Ultimate-guitar.com.

B. That's like saying "who cares if I can't drive." It's a simple process that becomes extremely easy with practice, and after a few times you should be able to do it often.

No, it's not like saying 'who cares if I can't drive' lots of people can't drive. It's like posting on a website dedicated to drifting, and saying 'who cares if I can't drive' while asking for help.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i don't get why everyone is givign this guy sh!t.

he wasted money paying someone to change his strings. who gives.

how does not being able to change ur strings make you a bad guitarist? it doesn't necessarily.

if hes happy paying other peple to change his strings, so be it.
i could understand maybe if you asked him to teach you but being ignorant to simple tasks is just plain stupid and a waste of money. He probably set it up cuz he couldn't understand why some one would leave a guitar for a string change
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by BAoxymoron
i could understand maybe if you asked him to teach you but being ignorant to simple tasks is just plain stupid and a waste of money. He probably set it up cuz he couldn't understand why some one would leave a guitar for a string change

He was probably like "WTF? Why would someone just want their strings changed? They probably wanted it set up..."
Quote by giantsfanftw
I like how people are treating me like I'm the asshole here. When people are coming in here calling me an idiot for not knowing how to change strings. **** is not even that serious. I'm just asking about my pickups. I'll learn how to change strings later on. People here take this **** so seriously. What's the big ass deal if i payed somebody else to do it?

I'm not treating you like an asshole for not knowing how to change strings, I'm treating you like an asshole because you're acting like an asshole.

I, and other people, have already told you that there's nothing wrong with the pickups and that the guy did you a favour.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, you can always change the pickup height after your references. I would trust the shop since they usually dont dothing like that for no reason. Especially when it does not come with the bill.
When I first had my guitar strings changed I paid someone to do it, theres no shame in that if your unsure of how to do it but after that I watched a few tutorials and read a few articles and you'd be surprised how easy it is.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Wow. The guy probably gave you a full setup and you're too much of a douche to notice; instead you complain. Your guitar is most likely in much better shape than when you took it in, so be thankful.
Not being able to change your own strings is like not knowing how to wipe your ass after taking a dump!!!
Page 1 of 2