I'm playing a tune in the key of A minor.
The only three chords in the current progression are Am, G, F. That changes shortly but I'm just working out the melody for this bit.
So i'm playing in a A dorian b6 so as to not sharp the F cause that would make everything just go wrong. Now when i move to g im switching into a G maj b7th, once again to keep that F natural.
Now for the F, I was gonna move into an F locrian to keep everything nice and level.
Can someone check me on this?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
i mean scales by the way, not chords
Play the whole thing in A minor, just resolve what you do to the chord underneath. In other words, if your lick ends while a G chord is playing, you may want to resolve to G rather than A.

Yes, I suppose this means that you're playing A Aeolian, G Mixolydian, and F Lydian (those are the proper names of the scales), but that's a bit much to think about.

FYI, F Locrian is a dimminshed scale that you wouldn't usually use over an F chord.
I believe that you are correct. The other thing that you could do is play the Dorian or Mixolydian scales in the key of C major because C major has the same key signature as A minor and the Mixolydian scale of C major is the Natural minor scale of C which is A minor. The Dorian scale of C major is also the Melodic minor scale of C. So either of those scales would also sound very nice over whatever chords you are playing. Anyways, I hope that helps.
rofl odrian b6
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Yes, as bangoodcharlote says, avoid that F Locrian entirely -- it's meant for a m7b5 chord and therefore would sound horrendous against pure F major.
Questions like this scare me.

But out of curiosity, could ts have meant Lydian instead of Locrian?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
Questions like this scare me.

But out of curiosity, could ts have meant Lydian instead of Locrian?

yeah that's what I meant, sorry about that
For future reference, 'Dorian b6' is known as the 'Natural Minor' or 'Aeolian'.

'Major b7th' is known as 'Mixolydian'

In fact, the list of the major scale modes is-
Ionian r 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian r 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian r b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian r 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian r 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian r 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian r b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7
Quote by ValoRhoads
I'm playing a tune in the key of A minor.
The only three chords in the current progression are Am, G, F. That changes shortly but I'm just working out the melody for this bit.
So i'm playing in a A dorian b6 so as to not sharp the F cause that would make everything just go wrong. Now when i move to g im switching into a G maj b7th, once again to keep that F natural.
Now for the F, I was gonna move into an F locrian to keep everything nice and level.
Can someone check me on this?

You are just playing in a minor..

dorian b6 = aeolian.. lol

G maj b7= G7

edit: oops, didn't realize this was an old thread.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^You wouldn't want to use C Mixolydian or A Dorian in this context. This progression is pure A natural minor (Aeolian).
Nothing wrong with a little dorian or mixolydian flavour. If Mr TS likes the sound of that Major 6 or the Minor seventh, than so be it. He doesnt have to keep his melodies in key or diatonic.

EDIT: also didnt realise its an old thread, sorry
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by demonofthenight
Nothing wrong with a little dorian or mixolydian flavour. If Mr TS likes the sound of that Major 6 or the Minor seventh, than so be it. He doesnt have to keep his melodies in key or diatonic.

EDIT: also didnt realise its an old thread, sorry

If the progression is Am, G, F, that to me suggests A minor (Aeolian). There are no chords there that imply that he would use Dorian or Mixolydian for them, so he wouldn't be using them. The b7 already exists in the minor (Aeolian) scale anyway. If he wants the natural sixth, it can just be a chromatic tone within the A minor scale.