I have recently decided to make my MIM Strat a pure blues monster, and the stock pickups are pretty good, but I just can't quite get the SRV or Kenny Wayne Shepherd tone, so what should I replace the single coil pickups with to acheive a tone close to theirs?

My next question is, if I replace the humbucker in my strat, could another humbucker be wired to have the coil tap option on the five way selector switch like the stock humbucker is?

I am going to buy some sort of Ibanez Tubescreamer to use with the TS-9 setting on my DF-7, which sounds pretty good by itself, but since SRV used two Tubescreamers, which one should I get?

Oh and please don't tell me to get a new amp, because the amp I am using now handles OD and other pedals really well. I might get a Valveking or a B-52 AT 212 soon anyway.
About coil taping, I think everything should be okay (assuming you buy the right replacement parts).

Yes, I think that replacing the pickups would do a good difference. In fact, it's one of the first things you change in an electric guitar...

Two t00b-screamers ? I don't know much about SRV anyways...

Rock on !
Quote by G-man05
I have recently decided to make my MIM Strat a pure blues monster, and the stock pickups are pretty good, but I just can't quite get the SRV or Kenny Wayne Shepherd tone, so what should I replace the single coil pickups with to acheive a tone close to theirs?

My next question is, if I replace the humbucker in my strat, could another humbucker be wired to have the coil tap option on the five way selector switch like the stock humbucker is?

I am going to buy some sort of Ibanez Tubescreamer to use with the TS-9 setting on my DF-7, which sounds pretty good by itself, but since SRV used two Tubescreamers, which one should I get?

Oh and please don't tell me to get a new amp, because the amp I am using now handles OD and other pedals really well. I might get a Valveking or a B-52 AT 212 soon anyway.

Well, you can't get the SRV or Shepherd tone because of your amp. That's where their tone comes from. And the Valveking and the B-52 aren't gonna get you any closer, either.

Yes, you can have an aftermarket pickup that will auto-coil-split (coil tapping is something entirely different). Just need to make sure you buy a 4-wire pickup.