All right, so I've been playing around trying to get a warmer tone than my Vk on volume .5

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this. I turned the gain on my distortion channel down to almost nothing, and turned the volume up to like 5-6-7 depending on how loud I wanted to be, and used pedals to drive the gain over. It's relatively quiet, but MUCH warmer than uncranked tubes, and sounds pretty damn good.

Am I an idiot, or has anyone else done this?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
thats called post gain or power amp gain.... If you get a tube screamer or a bad monkey or something in that nature you can make it drive the tubes without cranking it like that and still have your pregain up and the badmonkey will add more gain... it has a gain knob.
from my experience VKs don't sound very warm anyways, they almost sound like SS amps. But yeah using an OD pedal at low volume is what a lot of people do.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Right. I know they don't. I prefer the tone out of my teachers JCM-600, and fender reverb much better. But I could only afford a VK.

an OD through the clean and gain still doesn't sound that good to me. But when the volume is really high, but the gain is all the way down so it's at a normal volume it sounds a lot better.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You could afford a 5 watts amp that you really like, no 450$ amp wich you dislike.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Am I an idiot, or has anyone else done this?

You're quite clever, but it has been done before. Congrats on figuring this out.