hey, i just got a gibson les paul studio not to long ago. i got to looking at it and the bridge isn't on the body all the way, as if i could turn the screws on the stopbar and put it closer to the body. my question is can i set the bridge closer to the body or will this mess anything up?

thanks
That'll lower your action considerably, and your strings will be rendered useless. Don't do it.
The tailpiece? If you lower it, it creates more tension on the strings, which might pull it out of tune more often. If u wanna try something cool, thread the strings in backwards, wrap em around the tailpiece, and string em normally from there. Helps with sustain and you can get wider vibrato from it.
its supposed to be that way, it was set up for string height. if you take off all the strings at once, you'll probably find that it isn't even attached, it'll fall right off. its the string tension that keeps it on, meaning moving it will hugely affect your strings.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Now are you talking about the bridge or the stopbar? Two different things.
sorry, i call it all a bridge, its a habit. i actually mean the stopbar. it's the piece with two screws in it, right? it's setting quite a bit from the body. i was wondering if i could tighten the screws up a bit, to put the strings closer to the pickups.
Quote by HunterXtreem
sorry, i call it all a bridge, its a habit. i actually mean the stopbar. it's the piece with two screws in it, right? it's setting quite a bit from the body. i was wondering if i could tighten the screws up a bit, to put the strings closer to the pickups.

You can but if you bring it too close you will get fret buzz...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube
The stopbar holds the ends of the strings behind the saddle... Lowering the stopbar won't lower you strings along the fretboard. Lowering the Saddle does that.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
If you lower the stopbar too much and put too much pressure over the strings, forcing them to break over the back edge of the bridge instead of over the saddles, it could lead to increased string breakage.

As far as threading them backwards through the stop tail, this is done sometimes to lower the stopbar closer to the body. Some people think this increases sustain. Practically speaking, I don't notice a difference. What it does though is create a shallower angle between the stopbar and the bridge saddles, so not lowering the stopbar in that situation means you have less string tension holding the strings in the saddles if you strum heavily or bend a lot.

If there isn't anything wrong with the sound, there shouldn't be any need to make the adjustment. It's not a big deal if you do, it's jsut generally unnecessary.