I have just bought a new Gibson Les Paul 58 Re-Issue with Schaller strap locks.

The bottom strap button hole is bigger than the neck one however and the strap lock screw is too loose and the original screw wont go with the strap locks.

How do I fill in the bottom hole and make the smaller screw and stap lock fit securely.

I read recommendations about superglue and tooth picks - not something I really wanna try on my new £2000 guitar - are there any decent wood fillers that can do the job?

Cheers :-)
yeah you can do wood fillers which is recommended. You COULD drill it out bigger super glue a dowel in then re drill and paint over. not very smart on a Gibby.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Do NOT use wood filler - it will shatter and crumble under the pressure from the weight of the guitar. You're much better using toothpicks and superglue, to be quite honest.
What would you rather - a guitar with slight imperfections under the strap lock, or a guitar that falls on the ground and destroys the finish?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Do NOT use wood filler - it will shatter and crumble under the pressure from the weight of the guitar. You're much better using toothpicks and superglue, to be quite honest.
What would you rather - a guitar with slight imperfections under the strap lock, or a guitar that falls on the ground and destroys the finish?

really?
It's worked ok with my guitar...
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Here is what you SHOULD DO. Safest, easiest option

Get a cotton ball (or a couple) and stuff it into the hole/around the screw. Once you put the screw back in the hole, pull back and see if it comes out, if it does, thread more cotton around the screw. I've done this one my guitar AND my bass, it fixed two dangerously loose straplocks and saved a crapload of time as well.
you can also use old matches, i think.

before i'd heard of this technique, I "fixed" it on my bass (and also a friends guitar...ahem) By replacing the screw with an ordinary woodscrew (wider thread) and glueing it in with superglue. I have since however, apologised to my friend, although i don't think he's that bothered by it, neither am i realy, i mean, who looks at the screwhead on the straplock when checking out a guitar?
From a thread nearly identical to this from not more than a few hours ago...

Quote by jm1681
You need to do a bit of work, but it will be well worth it in the end.

What you want to do is drill out the existing hole cleanly (1/8" - 3/16" should clean out the existing hole completely) and glue in a dowel. After its dry, re-drill the dowel to whatever size screws came with whichever straplocks you chose. Dab a bit of glue in the new hole and install the straplocks. Problem solved.
The matchstick trick is horrifying. It is temporary at best and over time WILL bore the hole out even more guaranteeing that you will have no choice but to use a dowel.

Save yourself the headache and potential heartache and perform the surgery now.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Last edited by jm1681 at Mar 27, 2008,
Every single one of these takes at least an hour or two and takes a bunch of work. Stick with the cotton idea first. if it doesn't work, do the dowel thing, but i have done it on 2 guitars and swung wildly It works like a dream.
mabye get a diffrent strap lock with the right size screw
^ Much easier said than done.

Quote by nevin021s
...Stick with the cotton idea first...
Sorry, but I would NEVER, for any sum of money, trust the safety of my guitars to a cotton ball.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"