can anyone give me information on what applying for a GED entails? im in grade eleven at the moment and my grades are not good, but that isnt because i dont know the material. are there grade requirements? and what happens if i fail my GED?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
There's no "applying". When I took mine, I went to the local library, took a practice test, then a week later after getting the results took the real test for free. I dunno if it varies from state-to-state, but your best bet would be to head to the public library and ask them.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
http://math-and-reading-help-for-kids.org/articles/GED_Pennsylvania:__What_is_the_Pennsylvania_GED_Test%3F.html

according to that i have to be 18 and out of high school for 6 months? i just turned 17 today (its my birthday). and also my plan is to get my GED then go to community college
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Yep. Gotta be 18
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
No grade requirements as far as I know... I was in the 11th when I got mine too.

I'm not sure how the rules apply for other states, but its mostly common sense on the subjects your good at, just study a little more on what your not comfortable with, and I'm pretty sure you have to do an essay (mine was two paragraphs long and I bull****ted my way through that) its not that hard at all.

but personally... if I were you I'd stay with it and pull up your grades since you know the material and you only have a year and a half left anyway, its more than worth it.

hope that helps
the thing is i might have to stay an extra semester past my graduating year. and i really just want to take this test and get on with my life rather then sitting around wasting my time in my half rate highschool
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Philip J. Fry
No grade requirements as far as I know... I was in the 11th when I got mine too.

I'm not sure how the rules apply for other states, but its mostly common sense on the subjects your good at, just study a little more on what your not comfortable with, and I'm pretty sure you have to do an essay (mine was two paragraphs long and I bull****ted my way through that) its not that hard at all.

but personally... if I were you I'd stay with it and pull up your grades since you know the material and you only have a year and a half left anyway, its more than worth it.

hope that helps

lol. +1 on the essay. I can't remember exactly, but we had to write a full page about either A) A martian coming to earth for the first time and what his conceptions might be about ordenary things, or B) Somthing equally lame.

Totally BS'd through it and still managed to pass.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
so did you guys drop out of highschool to take the test?
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Pretty much. Not exactly, my mom died when I turned 17 and I had to move, so rather then re-enroll in a different high school, I just waited a year and took the test. But yeah, that's pretty much the jist.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
sorry to hear that man.

im gonna have a conversation about all this with my parents tommorow. maybe ill wait till im 18 then drop out and take it
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Your parents will probably tell you to stick it out through the rest of HS, and IMO they'd probably be right. You'll have way better chances at getting a decent job or into a better college if you have a real diploma. Hell, you're already down to your last year, I'd say stay with it.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
well id have to finish out this year then another one then another half year. would it really be better to have a high school diploma with horrible grades on my record then a GED?
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by Ghost_bass
so did you guys drop out of highschool to take the test?

I didn't drop out so i could take the test. I changed schools a lot because of traveling. Senior year i was informed that i was lacking credits and would have to go to saturday school and summer school. So i waited for the end of the year and then took my test.

At the time there were very few requirements that had to be meet. 16 with parents consent, 18 just sign up for it.

EDIT:^ i may have missed your reason for wanting to take the test, but school is better than having a job, you know.
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Feb 26, 2008,
Yeah. Employers and colleges look far more favorably on a real diploma. It's illegal to discriminate based on it, but look at it this way. If you're about to hire someone, and you see one applicant has a GED and another has a HS diploma meaning they stuck it out for the full 4 years. If other then that they're both equally qualified, the HS diploma will win out 9 times outta 10. It won't make or break you, but it will give you a much needed edge.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
i think some of you guys got my intentions wrong. im not trying to get out into the working world just yet. (i will have a job but not my career) if i go through with this i plan on going to community college then trying to get into a better college
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
It doesn't matter if you get a GED or a HS diploma. All that matters is if you go to college afterwards. Find yourself a good JC and actually apply yourself there, then make your way up to a good college.
if i go to the community college i plan on working ym ass off. its just that i dug a hole so deep for my high school carreer theres no getting out
Guitars:
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
amp:
Raven rg100
Yeah, but eventually you're going to end up wanting to apply for a job or a better college, and that's where getting an actual H.S. diploma will help out in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disuade you, if you can get a G.E.D. and work your ass off in a community college you'll be fine. I've seen pleanty of people do it, myself included. It's just a harder road to travel.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H