What do you think the minimum speaker rating is that I need to safely run a 50 watt tube head without blowing the speakers?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
As thepinesurfs rightly said, 50 watts should be safe. Still, for a single speaker most people go for 60-90W which is sensible since amps often put out much more than their rated output - might not neccessarily blow a speaker but can greatly shorten its life.
If you want advice and not ust a general answer, any combination above 50W total will be fine. For example, you could use a 60W Vintage 30 for a 1x12, two 25W Greenbacks in a 2x12, etc...
Quote by kyle62
As thepinesurfs rightly said, 50 watts should be safe. Still, for a single speaker most people go for 60-90W which is sensible since amps often put out much more than their rated output - might not neccessarily blow a speaker but can greatly shorten its life.
If you want advice and not ust a general answer, any combination above 50W total will be fine. For example, you could use a 60W Vintage 30 for a 1x12, two 25W Greenbacks in a 2x12, etc...

I honestly thought that, since most tonestacks only cut freqs and since few people actually run their amps with everything on ten with anything close to regularity, most amps end up putting out much less than their RMS wattage rating.
to be safe =?= not blow with every knob cranked

isn't it?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
As long as you're not cranking the amp to 10 all the time I don't think you have much chance in blowing the speaker unless it's way under what your amp is rated at. Most speakers are rated lower than what they really are and can handle more wattage then they say.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
so a couple of greenbacks or g12h30's in a 2x12 should be ok?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
Yes, that will suffice.

And, by the way, great avatar (my avatar in other forums ) and even greater User Title.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I honestly thought that, since most tonestacks only cut freqs and since few people actually run their amps with everything on ten with anything close to regularity, most amps end up putting out much less than their RMS wattage rating.

The RMS on an amp is clean power. When the tubes start saturating they become more efficient and produce more wattage.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The RMS on an amp is clean power. When the tubes start saturating they become more efficient and produce more wattage.

RMS power is how much a amp will put out before it starts distorting.

Alternativly, on a solid state amp, when the rms power is exceded you get the same amount of watts, just a clipped signal, that can easily blow speakers.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.