So I got a cube 30 a little under a month ago, and of course I loved it at first. Almost all the models are great and the effects are decent enough to mess around with, and it was a huge improvement over the Fender 15r I bought alongside my first guitar. Anyway, its great for most any type of music, but recently as Ive gotten decent at sweep picking, I have been trying to get a more melodic sound and the cube is just permanently too bassy to get that type of sound, no matter how much I fiddle with the EQ settings.

I am going to Sam Ash and Guitar Center this weekend in Richmond and I was going to try out some solutions but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought. My ideas are to try out an EQ pedal (Fish n Cips, maybe something fancier) or maybe some other pedals that remove lower sounds (would a compression or certain metal pedals do this?).

Or maybe I should return the cube and use the store credit to get something else? Im not in a band or gigging or anything so would some type of POD be better? Maybe get a Peavey Valvestate or some cheap tube amp? With the store credit I would get $240 and I would be willing to add $60 to that to get something new. Any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated.

(btw: the amps not broken or anything, cubes just tend to be bassy in general)
Really? I find the EQ on my Cube to be quite responsive. Maybe turn treble to 10, middle to 0 and bass to 0 and work from there.
Seems simple, turn down the bass.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Seems simple, turn down the bass.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by donfeliz
So I got a cube 30 a little under a month ago, and of course I loved it at first. Almost all the models are great and the effects are decent enough to mess around with, and it was a huge improvement over the Fender 15r I bought alongside my first guitar. Anyway, its great for most any type of music, but recently as Ive gotten decent at sweep picking, I have been trying to get a more melodic sound and the cube is just permanently too bassy to get that type of sound, no matter how much I fiddle with the EQ settings.

I am going to Sam Ash and Guitar Center this weekend in Richmond and I was going to try out some solutions but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought. My ideas are to try out an EQ pedal (Fish n Cips, maybe something fancier) or maybe some other pedals that remove lower sounds (would a compression or certain metal pedals do this?).

Or maybe I should return the cube and use the store credit to get something else? Im not in a band or gigging or anything so would some type of POD be better? Maybe get a Peavey Valvestate or some cheap tube amp? With the store credit I would get $240 and I would be willing to add $60 to that to get something new. Any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated.

(btw: the amps not broken or anything, cubes just tend to be bassy in general)

Are you sweeping with the neck pickup? Because that's usually a bassy pickup.
Well thats what I am saying, even with the bass all the way down, there is still some low rumble that muddies up the sound when I try to get a more melodic like tone, regardless of where the mid and treble knobs are.

By the way, I am not trying to knock the cube 30, its a great amp and the eq knobs are plenty responsive, it is just naturally too bassy.
When I first got the Cube It was bassy for me too but I got it to sound good after some fiddling around..

Try using the Dyna amp mode
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

don't forget the amount of bass depends on what amp model you're using as well, as im sure they have different eq voicings
I have a Samick TR1 (its an SG knockoff), its good for its price and I actually like it a lot more the the epiphone g-400s. I am using the neck pick-up because the notes flow together a lot better then using the bridge pickup for things like sweeps, whereas I use the bridge pickup for pretty much anything else. And its not like the amps sounds bad, its good but I think I could get it to sound a lot better for sweeping and those are the solutions I came up with so I am wondering what you guys would suggest.
Quote by kurdtkobaign

And are you using the BRIDGE pickup? Cause you need to be.

Quote by -Collapse-

Wtf are you ".." me about d-bag. The kid is wondering why his amp sounds like mush. And I just found the problem. Piss. Off.

The problem is that using the neck pickup is generally the cause of mush. Ive noticed this to be particularly true on the Cube series, which are kind of mushy anyways. Try to stick to the bridge pickup as much as possible for rhythm and if you use the neck pickup itd be best to use it for single note solos.
Lower gain amp model?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Cut a hole in the back...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Cut a hole in the back...

That's just crazy enough to work!

Seriously, listen to ths guy, it might help for real.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Wtf are you ".." me about d-bag. The kid is wondering why his amp sounds like mush. And I just found the problem. Piss. Off.

The problem is that using the neck pickup is generally the cause of mush. Ive noticed this to be particularly true on the Cube series, which are kind of mushy anyways. Try to stick to the bridge pickup as much as possible for rhythm and if you use the neck pickup itd be best to use it for single note solos.

The man said he was trying to reduce the bass in his SWEEP PICKING, not his rhythm work. You're not a nice person.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by kurdtkobaign

I was quoting you in agreement and the two dots were for required two characters.
if you look at my first post, I told him not to use the neck.
Quote by Generalpwnt
The man said he was trying to reduce the bass in his SWEEP PICKING, not his rhythm work. You're not a nice person.

Even still. Him using the neck pickup is the problem. Its gunna go to MUSH at high gain levels and be super fuzzy and undefined.
Quote by -Collapse-
I was quoting you in agreement and the two dots were for required two characters.
if you look at my first post, I told him not to use the neck.

My mistake. Just thought it was another snarky post in my direction.

Quote by kurdtkobaign
My mistake. Just thought it was another snarky post in my direction.

Yeah, I probably should have put "+1" or something. So I understand why you thought that.

I'm glad there are others on this site who believe in bridge pick-up sweeping. I got demolished in a "Best Sweeping tone" thread by three pages of people telling some guy to play with the neck pick-up.

Something else to consider is the position of the amp. Back-against-the-wall and on the floor are two positions that will add to the low end of any amp. Try bringing it off of the wall a little bit (a few inches will make a big difference) when you play, as well as elevating/tilting it back. Elevating the amp will also eliminate some of the low end response you hear, and tilting it back (if safely possible) will aim those precious mids and highs at your ears, allowing them to be heard more clearly.

Of course, that's just my two cents. That and $3 will buy you a cup of coffee.
-Fred