look, I love my Mark III, but it is...err...rather loud, so I keep it in the basement.
I need something small and quiet for my bedroom so I can practice in front of my computer. I looked at the Micro cube, but it sounded a bit dull. wasn't really my cup of tea.

so, any suggestions? I play mostly metal (gothenburg style) and some classic rock (like Deep purple). I would like to stay below 300$
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Line6 Spider!

Oh wait, I thought you said 'tinny practice amp'...

The Epi Jalve Jr is great fun, might be worth trying that with an overdrive pedal. The Zvex Nano would be utterly perfect but doesn't come cheap. And, if neither takes your fancy I heartily recommend Guitar Rig (or Amplitube) - both have demos demo available so you can try 'em out right now...
Zwex Nano is a little bit too expensive, but god knows I would love one of those.

Guitar Rig seems like an interesting choice. I'll check it out

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Dude...computer speakers with a subwoofer... about 30 or 40 bucks and a 69 dollar guitarport... kills the tone of any small practice amp and makes recording an ease.
5 watt valveking?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by forsaknazrael
They're okay. A little fizzy, but they're only 30 bucks, and look badass!

hahaha yeah they definitely look sick, and on top of that i was just blown away by the difference between the little 3inch or whatever speaker to the 2x12 cab. might have to get one...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
line6 PocketPod.
BTW: jag har också justt köpte en Mark III. men vänta fortfarande på den pga. bussgods är jävligt seg. vilken version har du ?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by modernp
Fender super champ xd great little amp $299.00

yah +1 on this amp a TRUE HYBRID amp that is totally overlooked
very nice amp good for practice and very versatile
theres so many sounds you could get over this i dont understand why people recomend valvetronix when you got these amps out there

with all the diffrent voicings i bet you could get a metalish sound of the lot
you could probly take one home for 250 if you haggle the salesman a bit

the amp pretty much covers every genre with great sound and great price

i say you take a good look at these
Last edited by purple tiger at Feb 27, 2008,
TS have you ever considered not buying an amp at all and just buying an Atuenator?
that would leave you with your original amp and youll be able to crank it and from what i hear still retain that tone you could only achieve through pushing your amps by cranking it
Attenuators, in order to get full cranked tube tone, can still be louder than what he's looking for. Also, in some amps, they suck more tone than they're worth.

Try this trick with your Mark III - dime your gain, set your channel volume to zero, then turn up your master volume. With my Mark IV, I can still get sound with the channel volume at zero if the master volume is high enough and you get good distortion. You can also (VERY GINGERLY) try turning your channel volume up a little bit. You should be able to find a happy medium between channel volume and master volume that gives you good low volume distortion.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 27, 2008,
I would say look for a 5 watt tube combo or halfstack. I wasn't a big fan of the new Fender Champ amps, apart from the 600 reissue and 60s/70s Champ reissues, but the Super champ, at 15 watts may be too loud so if you are interested, then look at the Vibro Champ which is the 5 watt version. If you are in America, the Gibson GA5 Goldtone is on sale for $300 at musicians friend.

Other than these, I would also recommend a Pignose, Danelectro Honeytone, Vox DA5 or something similar.
Orange Tiny Terror end of story
Lefty ESP H201/Lefty Fender Jaguar --> Digitech Whammy --> Crybaby 535q --> Boss tremolo --> Boss Flanger --> Modded Boss DS1 --> DOD Envelope Filter --> Ibanez Delay --> Orange Tiny Terror/Peavey JSX --> Marshall 1960A cab
Quote by helsinki_vampir
line6 PocketPod.
BTW: jag har också justt köpte en Mark III. men vänta fortfarande på den pga. bussgods är jävligt seg. vilken version har du ?

En pocketpod låter som en bra idé iofs. bästa alternativet hittils.

Jag har en Mark III Combo. Den tidigaste versionen tror jag faktiskt, med bara två slutrör och utan ställa-om-till-lägre-wattantal-knappen.
Quote by purple tiger
TS have you ever considered not buying an amp at all and just buying an Atuenator?
that would leave you with your original amp and youll be able to crank it and from what i hear still retain that tone you could only achieve through pushing your amps by cranking it

Thing is, I'm happy with having the Mark III in the basement, where I can play just as loud as I want to. I need something small that I can have in my bedroom and play with low volume
Quote by Dirk Gently
Attenuators, in order to get full cranked tube tone, can still be louder than what he's looking for. Also, in some amps, they suck more tone than they're worth.

Try this trick with your Mark III - dime your gain, set your channel volume to zero, then turn up your master volume. With my Mark IV, I can still get sound with the channel volume at zero if the master volume is high enough and you get good distortion. You can also (VERY GINGERLY) try turning your channel volume up a little bit. You should be able to find a happy medium between channel volume and master volume that gives you good low volume distortion.

I can try that out, just for fun
Quote by trigun09
Orange Tiny Terror end of story

too loud, too expensive, not the type of sound I'm looking for. Damn it sounds good though.

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by thebl@de
Vox DA5

there big brothers might be good but the tiny ones are just ****ing ****
just ****ing ****
dont even consider this amp

if you think the Super ChampXD is to much then
sure take a look at the VibroChamp as some guy mentioned its 5 watts and its also a hybrid with two tubes not one like the valvetronix
Quote by bjoern_swe
En pocketpod låter som en bra idé iofs. bästa alternativet hittils.

Jag har en Mark III Combo. Den tidigaste versionen tror jag faktiskt, med bara två slutrör och utan ställa-om-till-lägre-wattantal-knappen.

k. kolla på backsidan ovanför där strömkabeln går in till förstärkaren. där både det var en röd, blå, grön, svart streck eller ingen streck alls. själv har jag en red strip head. har inte heller simuclass-switchen(lägre-wattantal-knappen) missa även grafic eq på min.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
k. kolla på backsidan ovanför där strömkabeln går in till förstärkaren. där både det var en röd, blå, grön, svart streck eller ingen streck alls. själv har jag en red strip head. har inte heller simuclass-switchen(lägre-wattantal-knappen) missa även grafic eq på min.

Ah, okej. min hade ett blått streck. Vet inte om det är bra eller dåligt dock en sak jag kan säga är att den är ett litet helvete att ställa in. tog ett bra tag innan jag rattat in den ton jag ville ha, men nu när jag väl gjort det så låter den fukkin' EPIC

This pocketPod, can you record with it?

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
Ah, okej. min hade ett blått streck. Vet inte om det är bra eller dåligt dock en sak jag kan säga är att den är ett litet helvete att ställa in. tog ett bra tag innan jag rattat in den ton jag ville ha, men nu när jag väl gjort det så låter den fukkin' EPIC

This pocketPod, can you record with it?

blue strip är bra.
tyvärr går det inte att spela in via PoketPod via usb. men den har en direct out som man kan spela in över. kvalitäten är inte cd kvalität men det duger.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
^**** days like these really make me think i should have bought that Rosetta Stone **** at Wallmart
Quote by purple tiger
^**** days like these really make me think i should have bought that Rosetta Stone **** at Wallmart

sorry mate, it's just fun to find a fellow swede we'll communicate in english from now on

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
If you don't mind wearing headphones, I highly recommend one of the Vox Ampeg headphone amps. I connect my computer's line out to the Ampeg's line in and Sweet Jesus does it make practing on the computer fun. Great for jamming along with Guitar Pro.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh yeah, they sound great through a cab!

You should try just building a Ruby. Basically the same circuit, the Ruby is just better. Not fizzy, like the Smokey, though.

hm... yeah maybe in the not too distant future...
ha i dunno if i can get my byoc comp to work still
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

haha, i suppose i will. it's a tad complicated... and/or embarassing
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

The Volume Knob is there for a reason....

on topic:

i've heard good thinks about the Fender Super Champ, thats probably within your budget or the Micro Cube