Poll: Smoking ban; Yay or Nay?
Poll Options
View poll results: Smoking ban; Yay or Nay?
Yay.
79 50%
Nay.
48 30%
Doesn't matter much to me.
32 20%
Voters: 159.
Page 1 of 4
Someone said something earlier that got me to thinking; What are peoples views on the smoking ban?

The person that i heard start it all said basically;
that it's stupid that their's a ban in bars because "if you're going to go to a respectable place to drink, why go to a bar?" and that "why keep serving beer? they both kill you over time?". Also that "so many business' are being shut down because of the fear of the smoking ban".

I said this back;

"Because some people find it stupid that they HAVE to smoke when no it is not a physical problem, it's a nuerological problem, ANY addiction is. There's the part where people who don't smoke REALLY don't want to wallow in somebodies own filth that they think is alright to do. And then there's that they absolutely can't go anywhere in the world else to smoke, if they "have" to, you don't "have" to smoke, you just WANT to. What makes smokers feel above others just because they smoke? You don't have any special benefits just because you smoke."

I say good on the smoking ban, people know that there is one and if they break it their own fault. And there really are people out there that don't want to risk their health just because someone was inconsiderate and couldn't smoke anywhere else.

(sorry if my argument sounded sorta biased, i just really hate smoking and think it's stupid. And sorry for how long this is, didn't try to.)
I see the point of the ban in bars and restaurants, but if they want to ban it in all public places like parks and shit, then that goes over the line.
I like the smoking ban.

I can go into the bar and have a beer and not come out smelling like I smoke 40 a day.
The smoking ban is a piece of health and safety legislation which protects the worker's right to a safe workplace (a right similar to their right to terms of employment, minimum wage etc). This right is enshrined in legislation and has been for some time. Should bar and business owners have allowed people to continue smoking on their premises and their workers got cancer/ other breathing conditions related to second hand smoke, the government foresaw a pile of lawsuits being taken against employers for not providing a safe workplace. This is the same type of legislation that applies in construction for example as regards scaffolding etc, it is there to protect both workers and employers.
Every worker has the right to a safe workplace, obviously no workplace can be completely risk free but measures must be taken to minimise risks and eliminate those which can be eliminated (eg. this one).
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
it should be lifted (in the uk im talking about) just a little bit so bars have smoking rooms, inside to save getting wet or cold etc and have it properly ventilated so no smoke goes outta the room. makes sense to me
upon discussing Shay Laren..

Originally Posted by FloyDZeD
I googled her, and now I have a boner. Thanks a lot.

and horny things we done as youngsters, this one involving involving poo..

Quote by meh17
1 Toddler 1 Cup

epic
I believe there should be designated smoking areas, but not a total smoking ban.
Nope. Its their choice whether they smoke or not, even if they know its bad for them.

Live and let live. Shouldnt America be a free country?

This has been done a LOT of times.
And I'm ALLL FOR IT
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
reminds me of a stand-up routine by a comedian I cant remember:

"Whose that concerned with their health in a BAR??

'Hey, excuse me, I'm trying to get drunk and have unprotected sex with this girl I just met, and THIS jerkoff is blowing smoke in my face!'
"

I think it's silly. People act as though simply smelling a cigarette = cancer. It'd make far more sense to offer tax incentives to businesses that voulentairly[sp] make themselvs smoke free. Make it a decision rather then a mandate.

Course if I had all the answers, I woulden't be here right now
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Twisted Magnum

It's not free if someone's forcing their second hand smoke down your throat.
Quote by Pookie6
Someone said something earlier that got me to thinking; What are peoples views on the smoking ban?

The person that i heard start it all said basically;
that it's stupid that their's a ban in bars because "if you're going to go to a respectable place to drink, why go to a bar?" and that "why keep serving beer? they both kill you over time?". Also that "so many business' are being shut down because of the fear of the smoking ban".

I said this back;

"Because some people find it stupid that they HAVE to smoke when no it is not a physical problem, it's a nuerological problem, ANY addiction is. There's the part where people who don't smoke REALLY don't want to wallow in somebodies own filth that they think is alright to do. And then there's that they absolutely can't go anywhere in the world else to smoke, if they "have" to, you don't "have" to smoke, you just WANT to. What makes smokers feel above others just because they smoke? You don't have any special benefits just because you smoke."

I say good on the smoking ban, people know that there is one and if they break it their own fault. And there really are people out there that don't want to risk their health just because someone was inconsiderate and couldn't smoke anywhere else.

(sorry if my argument sounded sorta biased, i just really hate smoking and think it's stupid. And sorry for how long this is, didn't try to.)

nicotine, kinda like most other illict drugs ARE NOT just a psychological addiction but a physical one as well, n00b!
Last edited by doomed1 at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by Aramis
I believe there should be designated smoking areas, but not a total smoking ban.

+4514575152154456115
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

i ****ing hated it when id come home from a bar or club and my clothes smelt like smoke
im glad theyve banned it in calgary
but they did also ban it on patios which i think is a little overboard..you are outside
For bars: Drinking is your choice, you choose to screw up your body. Secondhand smoke isn't your choice, but still screws up your body.

Seriously, if you want to smoke do it alone. Don't fuck up my lungs because you are addicted to something.
IIIIIII
Quote by Garou1911

I think it's silly. People act as though simply smelling a cigarette = cancer. It'd make far more sense to offer tax incentives to businesses that voulentairly[sp] make themselvs smoke free. Make it a decision rather then a mandate.

Course if I had all the answers, I woulden't be here right now

Business won't do it.
It will cause health and respiratory problems for employees.
It is a violation of their right to a safe workplace.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by synopsize
For bars: Drinking is your choice, you choose to screw up your body. Secondhand smoke isn't your choice, but still screws up your body.

Seriously, if you want to smoke do it alone. Don't fuck up my lungs because you are addicted to something.

Yeah, but if it's that big an issue you can always make the choice not to patronize places that allow smoking. You're just as much a part of the equasion as the smoker.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
ok basically i die whenever i get a whif of secondhand smoke.... so to me smoking is like everyone else wearing bulletproof vests and shooting AK's. yeah it's a free country, but you're not free to just indirectly kill someone and get away with it. besides, what the **** is the point of smoking anyway? who cares if it feels good, its basically buying you a ticket to die early. well worth it for the assholes that do it, i guess. natural selection. i just wish i wasn't always in the crossfire.
Quote by Garou1911
Yeah, but if it's that big an issue you can always make the choice not to patronize places that allow smoking. You're just as much a part of the equation as the smoker.

yah but there arent going to be any places (ie bars) that are smoke free
its not fair for the people who dont smoke to be there and have to breathe that ****
Quote by Garou1911
Yeah, but if it's that big an issue you can always make the choice not to patronize places that allow smoking. You're just as much a part of the equasion as the smoker.

So non-smokers should be excluded from all indoor places because they want to keep their lungs in shape?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Banned in bars hmm.. it should be banned in general.

You're kidding, right? I'm guessing you got picked on by a lot of people that smoked, right?
why the **** should people care so much if i decide to smoke? does it look bad if im having a ciggy in a bar? course not. does it look bad if im having a ****e in a bar? which would you rather have? a pile of ash or a pile of poop lying around a bar!

Quote by meh17
1 Toddler 1 Cup

epic
Privately owned businesses should have the freedom to allow smokers in there establishment, or ban it. the govt shouldnt regulate that. now they can regulate govt property, and even public areas all they want. but i draw the line there
Quote by chea_man
Privately owned businesses should have the freedom to allow smokers in there establishment, or ban it. the govt shouldnt regulate that. now they can regulate govt property, and even public areas all they want. but i draw the line there

What about the staff in that bar?

They have rights to work in a certain quality of environment.
Quote by Garou1911

Not much good if one works there.
You may say that they can go to another place of work but that is a flawed argument. If I have trained as a barman and I want to be a barman and I am employed as a barman then I have the right to be a barman without having to get cancer or respiratory disorders. The same as a builder has the right to work as a builder without having a brick fall on his head because the scaffolding was not put up correctly The same as a chemical engineer has the right to be a chemical engineer without having sulfuric acid spilled on him simply because the correct health and safety procedures were not followed by the employer.

Health and safety also protects the employer as well as the employee as if an employer follows the laws then he cannot be sued.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
+1 to the designated smoking areas.

There should be certain things that choose whether you can smoke in a place - food service, children allowed etc etc.

I don't get why places can't have a smoking room - if a non-smoker is a big enough jackass to go in there then tough shit on them.
The smoking ban ruined the atmosphere of many places. That's a bit of a weak argument but it's an argument nontheless.

Quote by mastaphoo
ok basically i die whenever i get a whif of secondhand smoke.... so to me smoking is like everyone else wearing bulletproof vests and shooting AK's. yeah it's a free country, but you're not free to just indirectly kill someone and get away with it. besides, what the **** is the point of smoking anyway? who cares if it feels good, its basically buying you a ticket to die early. well worth it for the assholes that do it, i guess. natural selection. i just wish i wasn't always in the crossfire.

Shut up you ill-informed, immature daft prick.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Quote by little david
why the **** should people care so much if i decide to smoke? does it look bad if im having a ciggy in a bar? course not. does it look bad if im having a ****e in a bar? which would you rather have? a pile of ash or a pile of poop lying around a bar!

You obviously didn't read the rest of the thread.

I work in a bar/restaurant, and I come home every night stinking of smoke, and have to breathe it in every night all week. So that's why I care if you smoke in a public place.

Every one in four cigarettes you smoke in the same room as someone goes into their lungs.
I don't get why places can't have a smoking room - if a non-smoker is a big enough jackass to go in there then tough shit on them.
The smoking ban ruined the atmosphere of many places. That's a bit of a weak argument but it's an argument nontheless.

to capitalise on that arguement you could say that business's lke pubs have had to shut through losses cuz people are staying in rather than have to go in to a small patio in the rain and stuff

Quote by meh17
1 Toddler 1 Cup

epic
I dunno, it irritates me that smoking is the "big cause" of this decade. Everyone wants to tax it, ban it, eliminate it, penalize those who allow it, and sue the people who produce the product.

If you don't like smoking, it's simple enough to avoid. At worst, you may catch a whiff of a cigarette outdoors. I honestly don't understand why so may people are railing against cigarettes with everything else going on in the world. Sure, I get it, you may not enjoy being around smoke. That's why I make a point to step outside (on my own accord, not because the federal government tells me to), ask people if it's a problem, and generally keep it to myself.

Seriously, you can't do it inside any building, within a MILE of a hospital (here anyway), on an airplane, or pretty much anywhere else. Where does it end? Do I have to do it in my house with the doors locked, windows shuttered, under a blanket with a fan on? I'm not saying I don't agree with people's right to avoid smoking, but at the same time I'm all for my right to do it. Last I checked, they still aren't illegal, but every time I light one I feel like I'm being villified for somthing I'm already WELL AWARE is a health hazard.

As long as I'm on that little chestnut, lemmie ask a favor from you non smokers. When you see a smoker outside, freezing his ass off to have a couple quick drags, DON'T ruin that little bit of enjoyment by rattling off some smoking-related fact you have stored in your head. Telling me it's bad for me isn't going to make me stop. It's just going to put me in a bad mood and make me think you're a douche. I don't bother you when you're eating a double cheeseburger by telling you it's full of trans-fats and cholesterol.

Whew. Got on a little rant there
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by mastaphoo

You do realize that natural selection removes weak links only if they die before breeding, don't you? I doubt smokers generally die more often than normal people before adulthood.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Froddy

There should be certain things that choose whether you can smoke in a place - food service, children allowed etc etc.

If there are employees working there then you cannot smoke.

You can;t have designated smoking areas because someone will still have to work in them.

The smoking ban is in place to protect the workers right to a safe workplace.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not much good if one works there.
You may say that they can go to another place of work but that is a flawed argument. If I have trained as a barman and I want to be a barman and I am employed as a barman then I have the right to be a barman without having to get cancer or respiratory disorders. The same as a builder has the right to work as a builder without having a brick fall on his head because the scaffolding was not put up correctly The same as a chemical engineer has the right to be a chemical engineer without having sulfuric acid spilled on him simply because the correct health and safety procedures were not followed by the employer.

Health and safety also protects the employer as well as the employee as if an employer follows the laws then he cannot be sued.

True. But you still made a decision to work there. They didn't stop making jobs when that one became available.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Nope. Its their choice whether they smoke or not, even if they know its bad for them.

Okay granted, but it's not their decision if we should have to breathe in their secondhand smoke.

Don't say then we should move because that point can be flipped any which way to point the finger at anyone.

Also drugs are illegal and people know it's bad for them so should that be their choice as well? This raises two questions, do you agree with the legalization of drugs? also. Do you think that if smoking is made illegal that people will stop doing it?

Quote by Garou1911
True. But you still made a decision to work there. They didn't stop making jobs when that one became available.

Quitting and finding another job isn't always an option for people. More often than not, I'd bet that it isn't. Assume that a waiter/waitress is putting themselves through college. Assume a bartender or a bouncer is supporting a family and living check to check, it's his right to not be subjected to smoke if he doesn't want to be... especially if they have to keep the job.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Last edited by Bushinarin at Feb 26, 2008,
Quote by -Collapse-
Every one in four cigarettes you smoke in the same room as someone goes into their lungs.

Way to pull statistics out of your arse.

Maybe everything that could possibly kill anyone should be outlawed. Would that make you people less scared?
Quote by mastaphoo

Oh God, are you retarded?

Wearing bulletproof vests and shooting AKs? That has got to be the worst mother ****ing analogy I have ever heard in my life. First of all, at the very least it's like them shooting themselves with the AKs and smacking you across the face.

Second of all, calling them murderers is ****ing ridiculous. That's like calling you a murderer for consuming food because there are others that could be eating it to survive. I suppose that's also "indirectly" killing someone.

Third, if you've ever eaten anything unhealthy, drank any alcohol, or have done anything that contributes negatively to your body, then you're a ****ing hypocrite.
Smokers are often a lot more considerate than non-smokers anyway. In a private place for example, your typical smoker will always ask "Do you mind if I smoke?" before deciding whether to spark up there and then. Whereas you get a lot of non-smokers acting as if smoking is some sort of cardinal sin and that all smokers are scum.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Page 1 of 4