I've noticed that (at least if you're a guitarist sponsored by ESP) it's starting to become a growing trend to use a guitar with only a bridge pickup...and I have no idea why some guitarists are doing this. Even amazing virtuosos, like Alexi Laiho and George Lynch, are doing this.

My question is...what is the point of this?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
because they don't use the neck pickup. What's the point of having two pickups when you only will only use one of them?
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
They feel like it? I dunno. I would doubt an artist that good would sign a contract that would limit them like that, so it must be personal choice.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
They don't use the neck pick-up, and it does look better without one in some cases, and suits the design of the guitar.

I would always prefer to have a neck pick-up on my guitars though, unless you downtune a step or two then I don't think soloing sounds great on the bridge - especially sweeping.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by LastAuramancer
because they don't use the neck pickup. What's the point of having two pickups when you only will only use one of them?

Why limit yourself anyway?
to screw with your head
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Hmm...I see. I don't see why they would leave it out anyway, though. I just use the neck pickup for solos and the bridge for power-chords and main riffs.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
If you don't use the neck pickup, the extra wood that will be present in the body if it's not routed out will somewhat (okay maybe just a little) increase sustain.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Great--if it's an experienced player that *through experience* only needs a bridge pickup. I still think it's a sad progression to see non-signature guitars become bridge pickup only. Now young and unexperienced guitarists are gonna jump on the band wagon and limit themselves. It's tonal bankruptcy people!! Sorry, I just got through a long exam on Eliot's The Waste Land

BTW, my neck pup is my mistress and my bridge pup's my wife.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Great--if it's an experienced player that *through experience* only needs a bridge pickup. I still think it's a sad progression to see non-signature guitars become bridge pickup only. Now young and unexperienced guitarists are gonna jump on the band wagon and limit themselves. It's tonal bankruptcy people!! Sorry, I just got through a long exam on Eliot's The Waste Land

BTW, my neck pup is my mistress and my bridge pup's my wife.

I'd hate to see your marriage counselor then...

But yes I do agree with you there. I don't see why they'd purposefully limit their tonal capabilities.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
It's stupid to think like that. I hate the people who just gravitate towards the bridge and never switch it off. They sound great for crunchy riffs and rhythm, but why would you want it for lead? It gets to sound so harsh and annoying. I always use the neck for leads. Also in band situations with multiple guitarists I like to use the middle to sound more full.

One thing that you won't regret doing though is mastering switching pickups mid-phrase. One example, I like to say play a quick repetitive shred pattern, then flick the selector to the bridge with my pinky and end it with a pinch. Being able to do this really adds another level of depth to your playing. One that these guys completely ignore.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I use both of my pickups, so this would not be good for me. With the two pickups on, it makes your sound more full as Sonicxlover pointed out.

Besides, Neck pickups sound amazing on clean and on mild distortion and for soloing...but bridge is crushing for heavy shizz
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Sonicxlover
It's stupid to think like that. I hate the people who just gravitate towards the bridge and never switch it off. They sound great for crunchy riffs and rhythm, but why would you want it for lead? It gets to sound so harsh and annoying. I always use the neck for leads. Also in band situations with multiple guitarists I like to use the middle to sound more full.

One thing that you won't regret doing though is mastering switching pickups mid-phrase. One example, I like to say play a quick repetitive shred pattern, then flick the selector to the bridge with my pinky and end it with a pinch. Being able to do this really adds another level of depth to your playing. One that these guys completely ignore.

judging by your sounds clips, there isnt a shred pattern easy enough for you to play.
Sorry, but it had to be said.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Boz0r
I couldn't live with only one pickup. I switch all the time.

+1
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
i think most guys signature models are just based on what they like to use live and what works for them in that environment, most guitarists will use a variety of guitars in the studio

for example there's a video of Mark Morton from lamb of god using a les paul to record a solo on sacrament instead of using his Jackson sig.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by kool98769
judging by your sounds clips, there isnt a shred pattern easy enough for you to play.

Harsh, he's probably still a beginner.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
Harsh, he's probably still a beginner.

I guess that was kinda harsh.
I only listened to his guitar skills, looks like hes improved quite a bit, after listening to some of his mp3's.
But still, dude
Remove those guitar skill mp3's, they really suck
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769

:\

Between a budget amp, a crappy mic, not warming up for most of them, not bothering to be in tune, and doing stuff in one take they really don't do me justice. I swear to god I'll record something for you if you want me to, because that kind of thing really insults me.

And to the other guy, although I haven't really gotten serious until about a year or two ago, I've been playing for 4 years.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
And to the other guy, although I haven't really gotten serious until about a year or two ago, I've been playing for 4 years.

I didn't listen to your stuff, I was just saying it was unneccessary to say.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Sonicxlover
:\

Between a budget amp, a crappy mic, not warming up for most of them, not bothering to be in tune, and doing stuff in one take they really don't do me justice. I swear to god I'll record something for you if you want me to, because that kind of thing really insults me.

well, its just your 'skills' ones that sound horrible.
And im with you in the ****ty mic/amp thing.
Otherwise i'd post something, but for now im stuck on the clean channel
Until thursday...when i order a traynor ycv 50!
w00t.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
uh, i play leads with my bridge pick-up....but i always use my neck pup for clean sounds and whatnot
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by LastAuramancer

he's right thats exactly why
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
ive never seen this

picture?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

It's not a new phenomenon. Fender Esquire Telecasters and Gibson Les Paul Juniors and Melody Makers were very popular.