Don't get a multi-fx pedal. Especially at that price.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
i have a zoom gfx-5 and am pretty happy with it, alot of people bitch about Zoom, but, so far, I have yet to see why. The gfx-3 would probably keep you happy. But, if you want to kick in about 80 bucks more, you can get the gfx-5 on ebay. tons more sounds, and a great little machine.
i'll check out the zoom, but are there any other good ones?
but, Metallica is good too
Just save the money and invest in a good set of pedals. Unless you want REALLY crappy digital sound, horrid and splashy effects, and distortion that consists of mud, go with a crappy multifx.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
For the price, Zoom. But, for the price, anything you get is pretty much gunna be the same and not very good.
I've been looking for a multi-effect pedal too, but it sounds to me
like I should just buy separate pedals.
Quote by bdragob

Yes, sepearate pedals will sound better than a multis
Quote by bdragob

Exactly. most multi-fx are digital (excluding that one that Damagecontrol makes), and cheap and crappy sounding. They can do alot of things, crappily, good analog pedals can do only certain things very well
Buy used. If all you have is a $100 then a multifx is a smart buy. You won't get crap for $100 in the separate pedal market.

At a min you need delay, reverb, and distortion. Chances are you will want chorus, flanger, and phase. Not to mention that distortion breaks down to fuzz, overdrive, classic distortion, and metal. Then you'll need a tuner.

A good player can make any multifx sound good in a practice environment. The Digitech RP250 is $150 new, I just had one offered to me in trade for a $100 FCB1010 that I'm selling. But I've already got a GT-8, GNX3, PodXT, and separate pedals. But that's a good buy for $100. And you get a rhythm (drum) machine plus USB recording capability.

$100 range or under

RP300 (used)
Korg AX1500G (used)
GNX2 (used)
Vamp (new)
Pod (used)

$50 range

RP200 (used)
Korg AX5G or AX3G (used or new if you can find it)
Quote by fly135
Buy used. If all you have is a $100 then a multifx is a smart buy. You won't get crap for $100 in the separate pedal market.

At a min you need delay, reverb, and distortion. Chances are you will want chorus, flanger, and phase. Not to mention that distortion breaks down to fuzz, overdrive, classic distortion, and metal. Then you'll need a tuner.

A good player can make any multifx sound good in a practice environment. The Digitech RP250 is $150 new, I just had one offered to me in trade for a $100 FCB1010 that I'm selling. But I've already got a GT-8, GNX3, PodXT, and separate pedals. But that's a good buy for $100. And you get a rhythm (drum) machine plus USB recording capability.

$100 range or under

RP300 (used)
Korg AX1500G (used)
GNX2 (used)
Vamp (new)
Pod (used)

$50 range

RP200 (used)
Korg AX5G or AX3G (used or new if you can find it)

Or he could save his money for something useful...
Quote by Highwaytohell
Or he could save his money for something useful...
MultiFX are useful. The OP poster did not solicit an opinion on whether to buy pedals or multifx. Regardless people will show their ignorance by pushing an opinion that shows they don't understand the purpose of the thread, and that they are misinformed about the value of multifx.
I got to try out the AX3G yesterday by toneworks/*korg. it was really nifty. It suprised me...even though i'm quite a tone nazi.
Quote by zwound
I got to try out the AX3G yesterday by toneworks/*korg. it was really nifty. It suprised me...even though i'm quite a tone nazi.
The song Fun deLay on my soundclick page is just two tracks of guitar wankery (rhythm and lead) done with the Korg AX3G straight into the computer. It's a nice unit and cheap. People even use them on a pedalboard in conjunction with other pedals. I found it to be a bit noisy (hiss) in that situation, but others have argued against me saying it's not. Seeing as how setup makes a big difference YMMV. I like mined when I had it and sold it on Craigslist for only $15 less than I paid for it new.
I have the AX5G and like it with my VJ Head... I also have a Zoom G2 but am using the Korg now so The Zoom is idle. I like the Korg's "Rotary" Leslie effect, Chorus, Delay, etc... makes the VJ "sing"...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by mike.h
Just save the money and invest in a good set of pedals. Unless you want REALLY crappy digital sound, horrid and splashy effects, and distortion that consists of mud, go with a crappy multifx.

Wow another person bashing Digitech, thats not original, old, or anything.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Actualy if the guy is new to FX it may help him decide what he likes and wants.I paid $60 for my RP150A,it has 40 artist presets that the regular 150 doesn't have (1 being Glenn Tipton & it sounds nothing like Priest) anyway I found a couple useable presets I play with and fiddle with the rest,I'm more intersted in learning how to play than having the perfect sound at this point. Plus it has a tuner in it also which is a nice feature. I am going ahead and buying a distortion & eq pedal though as I want to fiddle more and see the difference for myself.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by Drewski09
Wow another person bashing Digitech, thats not original, old, or anything.

When did I ever mention DigiTech. Please enlighten me.

Any multi-effect pedal under $100 would sound like ****.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
When did I ever mention DigiTech. Please enlighten me.

Any multi-effect pedal under $100 would sound like ****.
Which is exactly what the vast majority of people say about the amp in your sig.

The bottom line is that what a $100 multifx pedal sounds like is a subjective opinion that you were not asked to give. The number of people who can't answer *the* question but feel compelled to respond with "that stuff sounds like sh*t" is astounding. There is no multifx pedal out there that someone can't make sound good in the right situation. They may fall short in a live environment, but for home playing they can be both economical and sound good.
Quote by fly135
Which is exactly what the vast majority of people say about the amp in your sig.

The bottom line is that what a $100 multifx pedal sounds like is a subjective opinion that you were not asked to give. The number of people who can't answer *the* question but feel compelled to respond with "that stuff sounds like sh*t" is astounding. There is no multifx pedal out there that someone can't make sound good in the right situation. They may fall short in a live environment, but for home playing they can be both economical and sound good.

Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by fly135

If so, than get a zoom. But lets be honest here, most kids today are just simply unwilling to save up to get a good tone, which although has many definitions, does not usually come in the form of a 100$ multi-fx pedal. Just hold on to your money, that way you can use it on something really good, like a great amplifier or a sick guitar.
Quote by Highwaytohell
If so, than get a zoom. But lets be honest here, most kids today are just simply unwilling to save up to get a good tone, which although has many definitions, does not usually come in the form of a 100$ multi-fx pedal. Just hold on to your money, that way you can use it on something really good, like a great amplifier or a sick guitar.
Poor logic. You can get way more than your money's worth out of cheap FX. Most of your tone comes from ability. Anyone who is a good player can make a cheap FX box sound good, especially if they are patient enough tweak the settings. You don't learn to play by buying the best gear.

The value of exploring various FX cannot be measured against anyone's standards except your own. Anyone who rants against a beginner buying a cheap FX box is out of touch with reality. It's like insisting a kid save up and buy a top of the line stereo instead of a boom box before he's allowed to enjoy some music. The $50 Korg AX3G is a great deal and the unit sounds good. And if you buy used to can get stuff practically for free if you consider the resale value. I've bought, used, and sold FX on Craigslist and made money in some cases.

My GNX3 sounds fine in the bedroom. I wouldn't choose it over my pedalboard setup (which has a GT-8 in it along with pedals). But, it allows me to dial in a variety tones, it has a rhythm machine to play along with, and an 8 track recorder. I bought it used and delivered for $120 on eBay. The point being the equipment doesn't make you sound good, you do. Good equipment will make it sound better, but a cheap multiFX box offers a lot more for the money than the diminishing returns of a high end expensive single pedal.
I have a ME-50 and I love it, and my friend swears by his GT-8. I did used to have a Zoom 707ii, and it was a buggy piece of ****. I spose you get what you pay for.
Real men don't need sigs.