Page 1 of 2
Do I need to wear earplugs when playing a tube amp?
was just reading the manual and said that I need to when using the amp.

In this case a peavey classic 30

im mostly gona use it on low vol lvls, but if i just go a little higher will that still damage my hearing?
well if your playing at like bedroom levels ... no... even slightly higher no... but a jam/gig levels you definitely need earplugs
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
well if your playing at like bedroom levels ... no... even slightly higher no... but a jam/gig levels you definitely need earplugs

+1. You love music right? So protect your hearing so that you can hear it when you're 30. All my friends think its funny that I use them but I'm gonna be laughing in their faces when they're deaf and I'm not.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
No, unless your get that cranked up to gig level. Even then it won't really damage them, its mostly the drums that do the damage, unless your louder than him. I wear plugs at every band practice.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Ive never worn earplugs. Practices and gigs arent all that loud if youre doing it RIGHT. And by "right" I mean not trying to overpower eachother by cranking amps, which in turn makes the drummer hit harder, which in turn makes the other guys play louder...etc. Practice moderately, just like you would play to record an album or play a show.
I don't wear them, the ringing in my ears usually leaves in an hour
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
As said, at low volume levels (playing in your bedroom) I don't think they'd be necessary. But at gigs you should definitely use them. The ringing may never go away.
I don't use earplugs for gigs and while recording. I like to be able to hear my nuances.

For jamming out and loud practicing, I always wear em.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I wear a pair every practice session and gig i play at.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
i find that wearing ear plugs while jamming with my band clears everything up anyway, id definitely recommend wearing them, just remember to be considerate of those around you (family members, roomates, neighbors, maids/cooks/girlfriends) when you crank it
My Gear:
Epi standard les paul
Taylor 110 acoustic
Fender blues junior amp
Fulltone OCD
unless your standing in front of two stacks i wouldn't stress ear plugs
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
Same here!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
i wear ear plugs and shooting ear "muffs" when i crank my amp ( carvin x-100b through a marshall 1960av) then again thats standing in a 12x15 room with the thing, band practices just earplugs though cuz i dont need to crank it (i leave the volume at 10 in my house though cuz i live on a farm so i can be as loud as i want)
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Quote by GuitarNinja12

If i had tinnitus i'd probably go crazy or kill myself. I could barely stand when someone cracks their knuckles doubt i'll be able to handle a ringing for eternity. That's like some cruel and unusual punishment right there, reminds me of when they would take their prisoners and just drop droplets of water on them once every minute. Worst kind of suffering right there. Please kids wear your ear plugs .
Quote by GuitarNinja12

It says if your uncoftrable, i usually stand away from the drums unless we get into jammin
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
well ive been playing out for about 5 or six years now. i just started wearing earplugs because my hearing is really starting to get bad. (Im 20)
I highly recommend them for gigs, and full band practices.
a drumset is anywhere from 100-150 decibels. if your around 120 decibels for more than one hour you start to get hearing damage. when this happens too often, if becomes permanent.

just wear them, i dont care if you think its Punk or metal or rock and roll to not wear them. just wear them.
Quote by chea_man
well ive been playing out for about 5 or six years now. i just started wearing earplugs because my hearing is really starting to get bad. (Im 20)
I highly recommend them for gigs, and full band practices.
a drumset is anywhere from 100-150 decibels. if your around 120 decibels for more than one hour you start to get hearing damage. when this happens too often, if becomes permanent.

just wear them, i dont care if you think its Punk or metal or rock and roll to not wear them. just wear them.

I just started noticing how many artists actually do use them, even younger ones like Paul Gilbert. Buckethead has probably got them somewhere attached to that mask/bucket.
Well i just read the thing one wiki... Whats funny is i told the doctor about the constant ringing and they were like we don't know what it is. Learn something new everyday... Now back to my constant ringing lol
I never used them for jamming - i hated the way they made everything sound. Same for concerts but I probably should have. Still my hearing is still pretty good and I saw most of the really loud metal acts during the 80's. What's really bad are earbuds for Ipods and similar things. Listening to them loudly all the time is a worse that seeing AC/DC (they are insanely loud).
they make musical ear plugs that reduce the volume without changing the way you hear the sound.

they cost like twice as much but they last longer too.

basically worth it
i wear ear plugs whenever i play with a drummer or it starts to hurt... you should go by that lol
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Iv got the tinnitus real bad; but my ears are too small for most ear plugs and when I'm wearing them they fall out when I sing so, what can yer do. lol.

MVL.
Quote by ISM
Iv got the tinnitus real bad; but my ears are too small for most ear plugs and when I'm wearing them they fall out when I sing so, what can yer do. lol.

MVL.

How can earplugs be to big? If your ears are smaller, the plugs will fit in there tighter and stay in well.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by White_Devil
How can earplugs be to big? If your ears are smaller, the plugs will fit in there tighter and stay in well.

i think i know what he means. sometimes when you sing with them, your ear canal opens and closes and they fall out.
also when your ear holes are real small, the plugs wont comfortable go all the way in, so after i while they pop out.
im sure there are some earplugs out there that would work though
my drummer goes to an "audiologist" (is that real? i cant be arsed to look it up) and said that he got fitted earplugs so maybe try something liek that? i just use basic ear plugs though they fit fine lol
My Gear:
Epi standard les paul
Taylor 110 acoustic
Fender blues junior amp
Fulltone OCD
i hope not! the guitarist in my band uses a classic 30!
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Ive already been told that im developing tinnitus, now i regularly wear them at practise...but not at gigs, it kinda ruins the atmosphere by cutting out the mids.
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
If i had tinnitus i'd probably go crazy or kill myself. I could barely stand when someone cracks their knuckles doubt i'll be able to handle a ringing for eternity. That's like some cruel and unusual punishment right there, reminds me of when they would take their prisoners and just drop droplets of water on them once every minute. Worst kind of suffering right there. Please kids wear your ear plugs .

I have tinnitus... you get used to it.
Playing low-level - of course not. Gigging / practicing with a drummer - Hell yes! Just go out and buy some damn plugs.

Pick up a USD $15 set of Hearos (they are designed to lower dB's without sacrificing tonal qualities and instrument frequencies)

Every member of my band uses them - they are GREAT!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Filters-101338945-i1134130.gc
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
PFT HELL NO never,
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab