Page 1 of 2
Dear Electric Guitar Forum,

I recently had to kick out the guitarist for my band (personal reasons, it is pointless to discuss it here). Now this should not be too much of a problem, however we were planning to record the day he was ousted. As a former guitar player myself (now Bassist/composer) I have decided to pick up the guitar again to meet the needs of my band. This is where you come into play... I need a guitar capable of meeting the demands of a tenuous recording environment. Simply give me personal insight on a few models you have tried and I will be on my way.

Now, the details:
- I know that whole amp importance spiel already, but I know enough about them as to just walk in and pick one out at the local GC.
- I want something that is versatile (ie. can play multiple genres with ease) and can handle both clean and heavily distorted tones.
- Wood, pickups, other miscellanea are immaterial to me... I am willing to try anything (as long as it works).
- Price under $1k (I don't feel like using up all of my money, sorry).
- Looks interesting (ie. not boring)
- Will not explode when I touch it (ie. not a piece of ****)
- No tremolo unless it actually does its job without killing the tuning.

That should cover everything, but if you want any more info, please ask (as long as it isn't a stupid question, of course).

Thanks in advance,
RockDJ
Last edited by RockDJ at Feb 26, 2008,
I was gonna mention the C-1 classic, but it appears to be covered - oh well, +1 for that. LOVE my C-7 Hellraiser, bought it without playing first because no place had one around here and I couldn't be happier. My RG still gets used for shreddy stuff though, such a nice neck.. which brings me to my next recommendation :

Ibanez RG Prestige or S Prestige series are actually very versatile, especially with HSH configuration. If you can find mahogany and neck thru versions, go for those. The Edge Pro trem will stay in tune very nicely - better than the OFR's in my opinion. The only pain in the ass is changing tunings or string gauges - though I managed to switch from 9-46 to 10-46 on my Edge Pro II (inferior) in like 20 minutes including string change.
Parker Pm-20. One of the most under-rated guitars ever.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Here are some suggestions....

Epi or Gib Les Paul
Ibanez RG
Schecter C-1
MIA or MIM HSS Strat

I'm assuming that you guys will probably fill in that guitarist spot though with someone who has their own gear?

Also, I'm assuming that this will be a demo recording?

If so, I would think that you guys would probably rerecord the songs again at some other point, so I wouldn't think that you would need to buy anything too expensive....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212

Epi or Gib Les Paul
Ibanez RG
Schecter C-1
MIA or MIM HSS Strat

I'm assuming that you guys will probably fill in that guitarist spot though with someone who has their own gear?

If so, I would think that you guys would probably rerecord the songs again at some other point, so I wouldn't buy anything too expensive....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I'd back an Epi G-400. If you like Ibanez necks my brother's RG321MH seems pretty nice, but I find the neck kinda funny feeling, I suppose it's something you get used to.

No one's mentioned a Squier Jagmaster yet. Youngbl00d has one and talks about it very fondly.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Reildeal

Epi or Gib Les Paul
Ibanez RG
Schecter C-1
MIA or MIM HSS Strat

If so, I would think that you guys would probably rerecord the songs again at some other point, so I wouldn't buy anything too expensive....

Valid points, but I have been meaning to start learning guitar again.

I'd back an Epi G-400.

Those new ones with the EMGs look nice.

What genre is your band? and is the 1k for both the guitar and amp? neck thickness? are you willing to swap pickups?

Genre: Experimental Rock/Metal (inb4****storm)

Money: That would be an ideal situation.

Neck: Hopefully thin enough so I can reach the bottom stings >_>

PUs: Depends on how much it will cost to do that.

Gibson SG faded (find a good one)

What makes a bad one, besides breaking?
I have always found strats to be extremely versatile, but that is strictly my opinion. If you do decide to go strat then get a mia strat, or a mim with better pups.
I put EMGs in my G-400 Gothic (ugg, I wish they'd call it something less silly. And I really prefer the Vandals and Saxons anyways...). It cost less then those new ones. But, the Prophecy G-400s do look pretty sweet.

If you go for the (normal) G-400, you get something else cheap and have a third of your budget left. Then you'll have two different sounding guitars that you can use to multitrack.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
i would say the new roadhouse strat and make it hss.
or the lonestar strat, i think that pretty much is a roadhouse strat made into hss.
Quote by STABxYOU
I put EMGs in my G-400 Gothic (ugg, I wish they'd call it something less silly. And I really prefer the Vandals and Saxons anyways...). It cost less then those new ones. But, the Prophecy G-400s do look pretty sweet.

Epi Prophecy

Woah... those actually look good o_O

I am in shock.

Quote by STABxYOU
If you go for the (normal) G-400, you get something else cheap and have a third of your budget left. Then you'll have two different sounding guitars that you can use to multitrack.

Sorry, I am a bit slow today... what do you mean (the I will have two different sounding guitars part)?

the lonestar strat, i think that pretty much is a roadhouse strat made into hss.

Lonestar
Nice pickguard / PUs.
I say +1 to HSS strat.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by RockDJ
Sorry, I am a bit slow today... what do you mean (the I will have two different sounding guitars part)?

If you record parts with two guitars with different tones (like an SG and a Super Strat) the different materials/construction/other differences will emphasis different frequencies, leading to the guitar tracks being able to stand out from each other better in the mix.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
If you record parts with two guitars with different tones (like an SG and a Super Strat) the different materials/construction/other differences will emphasis different frequencies, leading to the guitar tracks being able to stand out from each other better in the mix.

I understand, but I still need to get an amp also :X

Besides, I have a Squier that I can hopefully set up to be a midi controller (and play the ambient fx with).
I'd say go for a Michael Kelly Patriot Glory because they look badass....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Glory-Electric-Guitar?sku=513848

I know you said you know about amps, but you've been out of the game for a while and it wouldn't hurt to ask for advice here - if you're talking metal than a Peavey 6505/5150 would be a good starting point, there's a healthy supply of used ones out there too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
I'd say go for a Michael Kelly Patriot Glory because they look badass....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Glory-Electric-Guitar?sku=513848

That does look nice.

Quote by steven seagull
I know you said you know about amps, but you've been out of the game for a while and it wouldn't hurt to ask for advice here - if you're talking metal than a Peavey 6505/5150 would be a good starting point, there's a healthy supply of used ones out there too.

Hmm a combo or cab/head 6505 / 5150?

I would say that I need something all-purpose, not just a metal amp.
Quote by RockDJ

Hmm a combo or cab/head 6505 / 5150?

I would say that I need something all-purpose, not just a metal amp.

Ooh, more interesting then....how much are you likely to have to throw around?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Ooh, more interesting then....how much are you likely to have to throw around?

Well I will probably pick up one of the Epi Prophecy's, so that is ~$500. The price I am willing to pay for the amp depends on what I can possibly get for what amount (ie. to me a good $500 amp is more cost-effective than a $1k amp that has basically the same specs).
Quote by RockDJ
Well I will probably pick up one of the Epi Prophecy's, so that is ~$500. The price I am willing to pay for the amp depends on what I can possibly get for what amount (ie. to me a good $500 amp is more cost-effective than a $1k amp that has basically the same specs).

If you want versatility you might want to look at some Traynor amps - nice cleans and decent crunch up to a healthy level of natural overdrive around classic rock/metal levels. With an external booster and EQ you could get some pretty decent modern tones. If you lean more towards the modern, higher gain tones you might want to check out the Peavey Valveking.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
If you want versatility you might want to look at some Traynor amps - nice cleans and decent crunch up to a healthy level of natural overdrive around classic rock/metal levels. With an external booster and EQ you could get some pretty decent modern tones. If you lean more towards the modern, higher gain tones you might want to check out the Peavey Valveking.

Any specific models? I would prefer something that gives a really meaty tone.
Last edited by RockDJ at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by RockDJ
Any specific models? I would prefer something that gives a really meaty tone.

Traynor have the YVC range and they go up to 80 watts, although the 50 watt YCV50 blue is still darn loud and obviously a bit easier to get into power tube saturation. The B52 AT 60 is probably worth a look at too.

The Traynor is 2 channel and the cleans are good - and it's a lot easier to beef up a medium high gain amp like the Traynor if needed than it is to attempt to clean up a one-trick monster like a 5150.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Traynor have the YVC range and they go up to 80 watts, although the 50 watt YCV50 blue is still darn loud and obviously a bit easier to get into power tube saturation. The B52 AT 60 is probably worth a look at too.

The Traynor is 2 channel and the cleans are good - and it's a lot easier to beef up a medium high gain amp like the Traynor if needed than it is to attempt to clean up a one-trick monster like a 5150.

Thanks.
I haven't been guitar shopping in a while (obviously), so are people still serious about massive amounts of wank (ie. everyone tries to show off to everyone else at GC)?
Quote by RockDJ
I haven't been guitar shopping in a while (obviously), so are people still serious about massive amounts of wank (ie. everyone tries to show off to everyone else at GC)?

Well at the one over here it really depends on the time you go. Most of the time, yeah it's people just trying to show off. but if you go at the right times you have people sincerely just trying to have fun or trying to learn from others. Sometimes i see two old guys just jam the blue, one using a strat from the store, and the other with a harmonica. But most of the time its just massive amounts of wank especially from the damn employees.
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
Well at the one over here it really depends on the time you go. Most of the time, yeah it's people just trying to show off. but if you go at the right times you have people sincerely just trying to have fun or trying to learn from others. Sometimes i see two old guys just jam the blue, one using a strat from the store, and the other with a harmonica. But most of the time its just massive amounts of wank especially from the damn employees.

Gah, this will be interesting.

You can test out a Bass in peace, but when you pick up a guitar it is like you are putting on a show -_-
^ Don't let anyone bug you, revel in pissing off the wankers by not playing cockwag.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by RockDJ
Epi Prophecy

Woah... those actually look good o_O

Played one unplugged at the guitar store by me, and I was blown away by the SG. Can't recommend it highly enough. Just make sure to get the one with Duncans, not EMGs, if you want versatility.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by STABxYOU
^ Don't let anyone bug you, revel in pissing off the wankers by not playing cockwag.

Yep, only wankers wank at GC

I might as well just do my 'punk' impression (ie. jump around like a maniac and hit random strings).

Played one unplugged at the guitar store by me, and I was blown away by the SG. Can't recommend it highly enough. Just make sure to get the one with Duncans, not EMGs, if you want versatility.

Neither have Duncans >_>
^ I just realized that and came back to edit, but you beat me to it. I meant the Dirty Fingers pickups. My bad!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
^ I just realized that and came back to edit, but you beat me to it. I meant the Dirty Fingers pickups. My bad!

I see.
Good plan. It's hard to show off when the guy next to you is playing powerchords with a sh*t-eating grin.

Anyways, EMGs aren't that unversatile. You can get decent cleans out of them, classic rock tones aren't the greatest, but you can do pretty much anything else with them.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
Good plan. It's hard to show off when the guy next to you is playing powerchords with a sh*t-eating grin.

Real punk. Not that pop ****.
Page 1 of 2