I'm seriously sorry, i know this has been asked a million times. Anyways, I've kinda narrowed down my chioces to the Blackheart Little Giant or Palomino V8. What would be better for just plain old rock, like Zeppelin, RHCP, grungy stuff like Nirvana/ AIC, MEtallica, etc. Also, is there any diff between the blackheart combo and halfstack besides that the halfstack is more versatile? Cuz i seriously dont wanna spend more money on a speaker cable, I'm already stretchign it at $250.

And i actually did go to Guitar Center to try them out, but they didn't have them so any first hand accoutns would be nice.
No love for the VK Royal 8?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
umm actually i know nothing about that amp

Care to enlighten me? (wow i sounded really smart)
Its probably the best small metal tube amp. VK Royal that is
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
hmm...well I really really really suggest that you try out the BH before buying anything else.
I was going to get it, but decided to get a peavey classic 30 (30watts) used amp for $300.

Here are some BH videos. IMO it sounds preety damn good. http://youtube.com/results?search_query=blackheart+amp&search_type=

and dont bother looking at the last video on the list. it makes the BH sound like complete crap.
i still dont get people liking the 5 watt tube amps. I think its just because they are tube... There are solid state amps around 15 watts that just kill them tone wise. I agree tube is better but not in all cases. especially not in that range. before you buy atleast try out all the amps at your store. Don't just say well it's tube so its better. When I was younger I did that with a lil 10 watt tube amp.... took it back and got a solid state amp and was much happier. I just went with the tube amp just because it was tube.
it's not about wattage. even at low volumes, tube amps slay SS in cleans and overdrive. wtf are you smoking?
Quote by paranormal5150
i still dont get people liking the 5 watt tube amps. I think its just because they are tube... There are solid state amps around 15 watts that just kill them tone wise. I agree tube is better but not in all cases. especially not in that range. before you buy atleast try out all the amps at your store. Don't just say well it's tube so its better. When I was younger I did that with a lil 10 watt tube amp.... took it back and got a solid state amp and was much happier. I just went with the tube amp just because it was tube.

That's true. Low watt tube amps are just a dumb idea. I'll bet none of the greatest albums recorded in history had artists like Eric Clapton running low watt tubes amps to the mic.

And, while there are good solid state amps out there, I cannot think of a single instance in which I would prefer cranking a 15 watt solid state amp of comparable price to cranking the 5 watt tube amp.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by rooster201
does it matter if i get the combo or halfstack?

A combo is like having a head, and a cabinet combined into one box-like combo

and a half stack is having the head, and the cabinet at the bottom.

I'd go for the halfstack so just in case you want to change the cab and use another you can do that, or vise-versa.

and if you want to get a 15w BH, wait until April when it comes out (or hopefully come out in april)
Quote by paranormal5150
i still dont get people liking the 5 watt tube amps. I think its just because they are tube... There are solid state amps around 15 watts that just kill them tone wise.
You are going to have a hard time finding anyone to back you on that statement. The 5 watt tube amp tend to take pedals very well and give a great sound, where the SS you speak of sound harsh.

True you can usually get an overdrive and clean channel with a cheapo SS amp. And also FX on some as well. And that might lead one to believe they are better than the one trick tube amp. But when you start putting pedals in front most of those SS amps will be left in the dust.
Quote by rooster201
does it matter if i get the combo or halfstack?
It's the speaker size that makes a big different. Most combos are 6" or 8" in the 5 watt category. So the separate cab with a 12" will give much better sound. IMO much better than even a 10".
Quote by paranormal5150

That isn't how it is at all. I want a 5 watt tube for something in my room to practice on, and I don't want to spend the same amount for a Roland Microcube or Vox VT when a Valve Jr. with my OCD and an EQ will sound worlds better. I like the Vox and Roland, but they just don't compare to a tube amp, in my opinion.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by paranormal5150

Ill be brave and back you on this one, but in the context of certain genres. For pretty much anything above mid gain classic rock, Id definitely take a solid state over a tiny tube amp.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Ill be brave and back you on this one, but in the context of certain genres. For pretty much anything above mid gain classic rock, Id definitely take a solid state over a tiny tube amp.

I agree, but I would use a small tube amp for heavier than classic rock. they can handle up to Metallica or Alice in Chains pretty well. After that, SS is probably best.
I actually think the lack of versitility on 5w tube amps is the best thing ever. It forces guitar players to explore their tone and volume knobs, something that does not happen nearly often enough. It also forces beginners to focus on picking dynamics, which is pretty darn important in my book.
Quote by paranormal5150

I think the advantage of tube amps was no relationship with power, the sound of smaller power tube is till better than solide, it is warm,sepcially homophonices, which cann't produce by SS amp.
http://
Quote by paranormal5150
i still dont get people liking the 5 watt tube amps. I think its just because they are tube...
And maybe you never will "get it".

Tube amps just plain sound like nothing a solid state amp can emulate.

Quote by paranormal5150
There are solid state amps around 15 watts that just kill them tone wise.
Your opinion. For YOUR preferences. Mine are different.

Potato, potatto.

Quote by paranormal5150
I agree tube is better but not in all cases. especially not in that range.
Pfft! To my preferences, nothing solid state in the price range of a Little Giant comes close.

Quote by paranormal5150
before you buy atleast try out all the amps at your store. Don't just say well it's tube so its better. When I was younger I did that with a lil 10 watt tube amp.... took it back and got a solid state amp and was much happier. I just went with the tube amp just because it was tube.
Halfway decent advice there. Trying first-hand is better than having descriptions over the internet.

Quote by rooster201
I'm seriously sorry, i know this has been asked a million times. Anyways, I've kinda narrowed down my chioces to the Blackheart Little Giant or Palomino V8. What would be better for just plain old rock, like Zeppelin, RHCP, grungy stuff like Nirvana/ AIC, MEtallica, etc. Also, is there any diff between the blackheart combo and halfstack besides that the halfstack is more versatile? Cuz i seriously dont wanna spend more money on a speaker cable, I'm already stretchign it at $250.

And i actually did go to Guitar Center to try them out, but they didn't have them so any first hand accoutns would be nice.
I'm not a fan of the Palomino V8. It uses an IC op-amp as the first stage. It doesn't respond to pedals as well as an amp with a tube in the front end.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by paranormal5150

Until you put pedals on it. Then the SS doesn't seem so nice.. I just got a VJ combo. That I didn't really care for out of the box, but once i put a pedal on it, it pretty much sent my Vox DA 20 packing and it was $100 more.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Kustom tube 12? da cleans are pretty good.. although its kinda hybrid using tube only 4 da preamp but still good. lots of ppl changed the stock tube and said it'll be much2 better. but you need a pedal for distortion coz da built in distortion sucks ass!

jz my 2cents tho'
Quote by paranormal5150

Tube is different with ss, it has even homophonic, it mak esound warm
Quote by fly135
You are going to have a hard time finding anyone to back you on that statement. The 5 watt tube amp tend to take pedals very well and give a great sound, where the SS you speak of sound harsh.

True you can usually get an overdrive and clean channel with a cheapo SS amp. And also FX on some as well. And that might lead one to believe they are better than the one trick tube amp. But when you start putting pedals in front most of those SS amps will be left in the dust.

+1
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
if everyone started on a 5 watt tube amp, they WOULD learn how to use the volume knob on a guitar, and how to create instant grit just by hitting the strings harder
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
That's true. Low watt tube amps are just a dumb idea. I'll bet none of the greatest albums recorded in history had artists like Eric Clapton running low watt tubes amps to the mic.

I was about to link to quotes about Page using a Supro for much of the early albums until I saw your rolleyes : )

In fact, the first LZ album is guaranteed to be Supro/Valco, Tele/Dano.

Tom Dowd had a great quote about Allman and Clapton using a Champ and Princeton during the Layla sessions and the room volume was so low that if anyone talked it would have been heard in the control room because it would have been louder than the amps!